Im thinking about buying a Peavey TNT115s 500 watt combo bass amp from a guy. It's a 1997 model and he's selling it for $200. I don't know much about this amp so I was wandering what you guys say about it before I get it. I want the amp to play with in my band.
Quote by cpt_pimp
my last fail was breaking up with my gf.

that's going to suck for a while

Quote by leg end
Well, not really haha!

free bump

there is a 'What Amp' sticky that you might want to follow.

Also, maybe post in the Bass Guitar subforum - they know their amps pretty well.

otherwise, Peavey makes a quality product for the money and I'm guessing you'll be fine but that is a shot in the dark as I have no experience with it nor do I play bass.
Got a picture because I just sold a TNT I got, and I think it was a 90's chrome and black TNT 1x15 "s" as in sheffield speaker equipped. That particular amp was only 130 watts, it might have been 500 watts to run it, but def not 500 watts output. I think only the newer Peavey TNT's go past 100-300 watts.
I'm guessing you'll be fine but that is a shot in the dark as I have no experience with it nor do I play bass.
Quote by popeye100
Im thinking about buying a Peavey TNT115s 500 watt combo bass amp from a guy. It's a 1997 model and he's selling it for $200. I don't know much about this amp so I was wandering what you guys say about it before I get it. I want the amp to play with in my band.

The price right I've one for sale in the UK for £110, recently serviced/repaired, the Sheffield speaker has been replaced with a new Fane 400 watt speaker.
Definately not 500 watts more like 130.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yeah, you're looking at ~150W with that amp. I've had mine for a few years.

The older ones are slightly better built an have some built-in effects options, and could you want to make sure your has the horn, for a bit more oomph. The graphic EQ isn't too bad either, and you've got your standard effects loop, XLR outputs etc.

The only gripe I had about it was the size/difficulty to transport. This amp is large for a 1x15, and it's overly heavy. There is also only one handle, at the top of the amp. For something of its size and weight, this is a massive oversight on Peavey's behalf, and a pain in the backside when you have to carry it upstairs/to and from vehicles/venues.

Having said that, it's a decent amp, and I gigged with mine for 4 years solid until the speaker started dying and I decided to use it to upgrade, but also downsize. If you do buy it, fix coasters to the bottom, and side handles as well, otherwise you'll do your back in, get pissed off with how awkward it is to carry, or have to get a friend to give you a hand every time you want to move it.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara
Yeah, you're looking at ~150W with that amp. I've had mine for a few years.

The only gripe I had about it was the size/difficulty to transport. This amp is large for a 1x15, and it's overly heavy. There is also only one handle, at the top of the amp. For something of its size and weight, this is a massive oversight on Peavey's behalf, and a pain in the backside when you have to carry it upstairs/to and from vehicles/venues.Hope that helps.

The problem with the weight is that is is made from 3/4" 18mm chip/particle board which is cheap but very heavey, even without the amp and speaker they are riciculously heavey.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Felkara
There is also only one handle, at the top of the amp. For something of its size and weight, this is a massive oversight on Peavey's behalf

THIS!

the sheffield is 130 watts, no horn (I don't think), no extension out, or XLR I don't think If I remember. Had 4 buttons for rapid EQ section, I kind of like that, for setting a relatively flat/mid heavy EQ then just push to change. Had a chorus that was almost a mix between chorus and phaser it sounded like, more bite than a normal warm chorus.

Overall it was a heavy giant box, with a handle on top like it was a little peavey rage practice guitar amp. Casters and Side handles and such would be basically necessary at there cost and helpfulness. for the brief moment I had it until I flipped it, I used a banged up old skate board, which I gave to the guy with the same warning above.
Quote by askrere
THIS!

the sheffield is 130 watts, no horn (I don't think), no extension out, or XLR I don't think If I remember. Had 4 buttons for rapid EQ section, I kind of like that, for setting a relatively flat/mid heavy EQ then just push to change. Had a chorus that was almost a mix between chorus and phaser it sounded like, more bite than a normal warm chorus.

Overall it was a heavy giant box, with a handle on top like it was a little peavey rage practice guitar amp. Casters and Side handles and such would be basically necessary at there cost and helpfulness. for the brief moment I had it until I flipped it, I used a banged up old skate board, which I gave to the guy with the same warning above.

Certainly very heavey with very major flaw (no extension cab facility) and no horn.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yea, I kind of saw it as a clunky intermediate garage practice unit, or small clubs. It'd be a great amp if you played with an acoustic guitarist and brush drums etc. or like a small country set, both things are quite common here in Austin.

Edit: I also never use the horn if there's an off switch on the cab.