So I've been playing over 4 years now. I'm getting fairly competent. However my impro soloing is just awful. It's always the same licks over again in a different key each time. I try and work stuff out by ear every time I pick up my guitar. In fact, I don't really learn using tabs these days. So naturally, when soloing, my hands go to the right places at the right times automatically, so most of the time, it sounds like I know where I am.

However, as I said, the amount of licks I know and use is just pathetic. I don't really learn solos though, so it might be down to that. What can I do to improve/ expand my lick vocabulary.
Expand your musical style. Listen to more bands and different genres. Learn more songs.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
ive run into the same problem as you. what im doing to get over this is learning songs fully and playing them to the cd.

also you might want to learn to sing the notes of the fretboard. you dont have to be perfect, but it would help so you can get out the notes on your head onto your fretboard. im still trolling about how to do this, i just got into it a week ago, so far its seems like something worth practicing
Quote by Junior#1
Expand your musical style. Listen to more bands and different genres. Learn more songs.

I listen to a lot of music. From Zeppelin, GnR, Little Richard, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Alexisonfire, Funeral for a Friend, Johnny Cash, Tom Waits...

I've got a pretty broad musical taste.
Hello.

Another thing you could do is work on your phrasing. My old teacher would put on something funky like an Arabic sounding groove track and have me improv on it. Then, he'd limit me to 2 or 3 notes and I'd go again. Using the same few notes as an improv exercise will force you to get creative and expressive. Sometimes, even leaving a rest can be effective. Give it a shot and play around with diferent timing of your notes and some bends and see if you can't come up with something new.

Rock on.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
I'm really the first person to even suggest this?

Write more fucking licks.

Seriously, are you that dependent on what other people do? Think of a sound you want and then figure out how to make that sound. It's that simple.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This

Quote by Junior#1

And this

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Write more ****ing licks.

But...

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
From Zeppelin, GnR, Little Richard, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Alexisonfire, Funeral for a Friend, Johnny Cash, Tom Waits...

I've got a pretty broad musical taste.

The last thing I want to come off as is a jerk, but this list... Broad? Not that I have any suggestions as most of the time your musical taste broadens naturally and forcing it isn't fun, but you just have to be aware of when you need something new. So even if you have a broad musical taste don't ever stop looking for something new to enjoy.
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Unrelaxed
This

And this

But...

The last thing I want to come off as is a jerk, but this list... Broad? Not that I have any suggestions as most of the time your musical taste broadens naturally and forcing it isn't fun, but you just have to be aware of when you need something new. So even if you have a broad musical taste don't ever stop looking for something new to enjoy.

That's obviously not every artist I like. I would be here forever if I were to name them all.
Learn solos from recordings note for note, how the solo is phrased, and why it works. The more you study the solos that have already been done the easier making new ones should be.
1) stop worrying about licks. licks are a small, small, small, small, small, small (etc.) part of good improvised soloing.

2) listen to a lot more classical music. study melodic development and treatment.

3) train your ear more.

4) learn more theory.

fancy-named scales and new chord progressions will just get you further down the hole you're in, in my opinion. you need to learn the theory to really put it into practice. and even then, you still haven't eschewed the key system -- solo using a phrygian dominant scale and i can pretty much guarantee you that you're still soloing in a minor key.

listen to anyone who says to expand your musical taste -- even if you named more artists, that's not all that broad. all i see in your list can be narrowed down to rock and metal, with the exceptions of tom waits, little richard and johnny cash. throw in some bach, cee lo green, miles davis, and notorious big and i might consider it broad. and that's just for starters.

also, it sounds like the guitar is playing you, rather than the opposite, as evidenced by statements like this:

So naturally, when soloing, my hands go to the right places at the right times automatically, so most of the time, it sounds like I know where I am.

i'd argue that, even at an expert level, your hands shouldn't go to the right place at the right time automatically -- they should only do it when commanded to do so by your mind and/or ear. if your hands are moving by themselves, then you're probably not listening to and/or thinking about what you're doing to a full level.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

also, it sounds like the guitar is playing you, rather than the opposite, as evidenced by statements like this:

i'd argue that, even at an expert level, your hands shouldn't go to the right place at the right time automatically -- they should only do it when commanded to do so by your mind and/or ear. if your hands are moving by themselves, then you're probably not listening to and/or thinking about what you're doing to a full level.

I didn't mean it like it was autonomous. Rather the complete opposite. Instead of playing notes for the sake of notes, I'm structuring my solos more and playing the right notes over the rights chords so it sounds like I know where I am.