Solos need to be in by March 22nd!

Hard Rock Backing: http://www.mediafire.com/?dcucosu5zcuwvbu (Thanks to Ian The Fox)
Quote by Ian The Fox
Here's how it works with this track: Each member who solos for this track gets 16 measures for a solo, no more or less. The solo is to start at 0:32 when the harmonies end, and finish at the pinch harmonic around 1:46. There are 2 measures for "bleed off" or "conclusion". When all record, I'll mix them together to form one long track.

Metal Backing:
http://soundcloud.com/benjaminrc-1/ugmetalbt2012 (thanks to Rokket2005)

The Hard Rock track is in D minor.
The metal one is laid out a bit differently.
Quote by Rokket2005
4Am7___________C/G______________F_____________Eb_________x2
4 ||:--------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------------:||

Eb9_______________Dmin11_________C9____________F9_ ___________x2
||:--------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------------:||

Dmin9___________C9_____________BbMaj7________BbMaj 7_________x2
||:--------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------------:||

6 Bb7___________Ab7____________Bb7__________Ab7
4 |---------------------|---------------------|-------------------|--------------------|

AbMaj7__________EbMaj7__________AbMaj7________EbMa j7
|---------------------|---------------------|-------------------|--------------------|

4 Bb/F__________ C/G____________Eb___________Eb____________x2
4 ||:-------------------|---------------------|-------------------|-------------------:||

Bb______________Eb______________Ab____________Ab__ ________x2
||:-------------------|---------------------|-------------------|-------------------:||

F_______________F#_____________Ab______________F__ ____Eb
||:-------------------|---------------------|--------------------|-------------------|

F_______________F#______________Eb____________Eb__ ___D______x2
|---------------------|---------------------|--------------------|------------------:||

Am7___________C/G______________F_____________E_________x2

E9_______________Dmin11_________C9____________F9__ __________x2

F9
|----------------------|

Eb_____________________________Bb/F__________________________x4?
||:--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|-------------------:||

The chords don't line up well, but everything is pretty much 1 chord per measure, except in the faster part, and if you listen you can hear.

Quote by gumbilicious
jazz loop: 92 bpm, 4/4
http://soundcloud.com/gumbilicious/jazz-loop
progression:
first 8 measures: A maj 7 to G maj 7 layered with a A2 to G2
second 8 measures: A2 to G2 layered with a A7 to G7

16 measures total
Keys:
A major, E major, D major (among quite a few others, but these sound pretty good)

waltz loop: 120 bpm, 3/4
http://soundcloud.com/gumbilicious/waltz-loop
progression: (by measure, each chord gets a 3 count)

C C G G7 C C7 Fmaj7 Fmaj7 G G7 C C7 Fmaj7 Fmaj7 C C G G7
18 measures total
Keys:
C maj, you can get slick and throw some C minor in there for fun.

Entrants

Metal
darkwolf291
Offworld92
oneblackened
dementiacaptain

Hard Rock

Eppicurt
oneblackened
awesomo41894 (?)
Jazz
Gumbilicious

Country/Waltz

Gumbilicious
Greeny23
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 14, 2012,
Blues backing track.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The Metal BT isn't D minor, a few sections are in the relative major of F, but it isn't in the same key throughout. A chart for the song is as such

4 Am7___________C/G______________F_____________Eb_________x2
4 ||:--------------------|---------------------|------------------|-------------------:||

Eb9_______________Dmin11_________C9____________F9____________x2

Dmin9___________C9_____________BbMaj7________BbMaj7_________x2

6 Bb7___________Ab7____________Bb7__________Ab7
4 |---------------------|---------------------|-------------------|--------------------|

AbMaj7__________EbMaj7__________AbMaj7________EbMaj7
|---------------------|---------------------|-------------------|--------------------|

4 Bb/F__________ C/G____________Eb___________Eb____________x2
4 ||:-------------------|---------------------|-------------------|-------------------:||

Bb______________Eb______________Ab____________Ab__________x2
||:-------------------|---------------------|-------------------|-------------------:||

F_______________F#_____________Ab______________F______Eb
||:-------------------|---------------------|--------------------|-------------------|

F_______________F#______________Eb____________Eb_____D______x2
|---------------------|---------------------|--------------------|------------------:||

Am7___________C/G______________F_____________Eb_________x2

Eb9_______________Dmin11_________C9____________F9____________x2

F9
|----------------------|

Eb_____________________________Bb/F__________________________x4?
||:--------------------|--------------------|--------------------|-------------------:||

Shit doesnt line up well, but everything is pretty much 1 chord per measure, except in the faster part, and if you listen you can hear.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by kutless999
Blues backing track.

er, don't you want something more to solo over? do the waltz backing track if you want some 1->4->5 action, it at least has some extensions going on to make it more interesting to solo over.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
one more thing about the metal bt, in case people don't see it on the soundcloud link. The tracks tempo is 98.6 bpm.
^ I explained how mine (Hard Rock) works out in the other thread. For the hard rock one each soloist gets 16 measures plus 2 measures of "bleed off"

Here's how it works with this track: Each member who solos for this track gets 16 measures for a solo, no more or less. The solo is to start at 0:32 when the harmonies end, and finish at the pinch harmonic around 1:46. There are 2 measures for "bleed off" or "conclusion". When all record, I'll mix them together to form one long track.

Here's an example including a solo I whipped up of how it should be done: http://www.mediafire.com/?ez4g09k5l5zop7q
I really like the hard rock backing track, but over a minute for each person's solo is going to make that track into a VERY long song... I think we could easily split that up into multiple solos. I'd love to do a solo over that one, but there's no way I'm going to come up with a solo that lasts 1:14 that people are still going to be interested in hearing at the end

I'd do the metal track, but I don't understand the thought process behind songs that have tempos that aren't a multiple of 5, let alone a decimal point The drums seem a bit wonky with the riffs on the metal track at the beginning too, is kinda messing with my mind. I really like the idea of the whole song, though, but it's closer to hard rock than metal IMO (no offense Ben, I DO like the track, I swear! ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah,, i noticed after i upped it that i had some latency issues at the beginning,, not sure what happened, butvits part of the reason that i want to mix the whole thing. I've already fixed it in my session, but didnt bother upping it again. Also,, if I had made it any more metal, people wouldnt know what to do over it. I think its metal,, not all metal is shitty break downs and chugging. In my book shitty breakdowns and chugging isnt metal.
I'll do hard rock.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If I can sort out some latency issues with my interface, I'm down for the metal track.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I suppose you can sign me up for the metal track, even though rokket2005 is a bit of an asshat.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Count me in on this, but iM not sure which one Im going to do a solo over, hard rock, or metal. Both sound good to me.
Sign me up for hard rock
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by MatrixClaw
I really like the hard rock backing track, but over a minute for each person's solo is going to make that track into a VERY long song... I think we could easily split that up into multiple solos. I'd love to do a solo over that one, but there's no way I'm going to come up with a solo that lasts 1:14 that people are still going to be interested in hearing at the end
Hmm... I guess I could edit the song based on the length each participant's solo to the max they wish to play (shortening the space between each participant's solo) I figured 16 measures would be perfect as it allows space for creativity.

I'll sign up for the metal one please.
I'm down for the metal track, I'm not promising a great quality recording, however.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by rokket2005
I'm sorry. What did I do to you?

it's what you did for everyone! supplying a track for this contest (and spending some time making it interesting), stirring community interest, saying that metal is more than just chug chug.

dude, yer a just a douche

btw, i am down for the country waltz. i'll do the jazz track as well if anyone else signs up for it.

edit: the waltz is kinda short, i guess anyone who wants to do 2 loops of the progression would be fine as that would let them develop the solo a bit better.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by greeny23
im in for country/waltz.

he wants to play a waltz too

-ae