Do you have a budget?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
What did you need the boost pedal for? I understand you want it for the clean channel..but is it a volume boost you are after or just to push your clean channel into a light grit at a lower volume?

EDIT: Budget as already stated would help massively and perhaps what amp you are playing through...
Quote by Robfreitag
excuse my ignorance, but why do you need a boost pedal for clean guitar?

If he wants his clean sound to sound loud I guess. Distortion doesn't always need to be the loudest part of the song. It's nice to switch it up a bit. Another reason could be that his amp doesn't have enough clean headroom to play loud without it distorting.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Actually I think I've betrayed my ignorance here - I was assuming a boost pedal would give an extra something to a clean sound - I dunno what though!!!!
It can depending on what equipment you are using it with. As an example a boost pedal can push your amp into a natural overdrive depending on how it is all set up of course and again depending on what amp you are using. Some boost pedals also give you a few eq options so you can shape your tone a little more. So what amp are you using and is there a particular sound you are trying to recreate?
Last edited by ibanart300 at Mar 8, 2012,
I'm using a Blackstar HT5 - I'm getting an excellent clean sound at the moment but I've gone into pedal buying overdrive mode as everytime I get a new one my sound gets even better!!! I'm attempting to see what the hell else I can get to improve the sound even more.

I don't even know if I need one - I'm not looking to drive the valves on the amp or anything
So is there a sound you want in particular or a guitarist or band's sound you are striving for.
A volume boost pedal on clean makes it easy to quickly turn up your guitar a little mid strum.
Quote by Chargrill3d
Actually I think I've betrayed my ignorance here - I was assuming a boost pedal would give an extra something to a clean sound - I dunno what though!!!!

Maybe what you're really looking for is a compressor? I don't have much experience with them outside of playing around with one on my Vypyr, but they're recommended for getting more out of a clean sound.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Get a bigger amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Most_Triumphant
If he wants his clean sound to sound loud I guess. Distortion doesn't always need to be the loudest part of the song. It's nice to switch it up a bit. Another reason could be that his amp doesn't have enough clean headroom to play loud without it distorting.

You can't get more headroom from a boost pedal.
Quote by Chargrill3d

Nope, it'll just make it louder.

What you're probably looking for is either

A compressor pedal which will even out volumer levels and can be tweaked to make cleans sound brighter, more lively and a little "spankier"
An EQ pedal, which will give you more control over specific frequencies
A chorus pedal, which can thicken up the clean tones and make the sound richer- the effect is a little similar to a 12 string guitar
Reverb of some sort
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i like boost pedals, i have an old two timer made by keeler. i know there are a few out there, the boosta grande, the java boost. i think a good boost pedal should simply just make the signal a little more prominent, some boosts will add things like lows or mids (the boosta grande i believe is pretty guilty of that).

but like it's been said, maybe an EQ pedal? it all depends on what you want to accomplish i guess, if you want a CLEAN boost then an eq would help out a lot, same with a compressor.

it's all pretty much been said by the other guys, boosts are great, but there are other options as well
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Actually I'm not going to bother with a boost pedal - I was basically unsure of what a boost does so now there's no point!! Thanks for all the input once again