Which one do you think gives you the best sound, a multi effects processor or a bunch of different pedals?
Washburn HB35
Fender American Tele
Breedlove C250

Peavey Classic 50 410
Fender Mustang 1
Last edited by ejorgy1 at Mar 8, 2012,
The only answer here is preference. Nobody will have the same opinion. That's why VS threads are supposed to be banned.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah "versus" threads are bant. I would LOVE an HD500, for practice and recording and gigging too. That being said, it couldn't replace a good tube amp. Especially when your like me and your average setup is guitar->TS9->amp

Processors take the cake if you need a lot of effects though, and changing them lots.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, it's about play style here. If you need to constantly switch 3 or 4 'pedals' at once, the patches on a multi are going to suit you best. If you're throwing in one effect here, a couple there, like extra spice dabbed in throughout the set, you'll probably find individual pedals easier to manage and easier to tweak.

The other issue is whether there's even a modeled version of the specific pedal you want. SO every multi has a flanger setting, but it might not have the exact flanger sound you want, in which case you'll need to go hunt down the individual pedal that does. That's especially true for fuzz/od/dist pedals and filters where the character varies so much from one to the next and a lot of the modelers don't always capture that character.
Sound quality depends on which pedals and which MFX unit. There are good and bad in both scenarios.

For gigging I much prefer MFX because I can program each song to perfection and just write the patch numbers next to the songs in the set list. No screwing around; I always know everything is ready to roll.
The other two reasons I do it is that I have had too many pedals stolen and it's a lot harder for somebody to shove my rack inside their coat. Also Quadraverbs are sensational.

For just jamming random songs with friends, individual pedals are much easier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Sound quality depends on which pedals and which MFX unit. There are good and bad in both scenarios.

For gigging I much prefer MFX because I can program each song to perfection and just write the patch numbers next to the songs in the set list. No screwing around; I always know everything is ready to roll.
The other two reasons I do it is that I have had too many pedals stolen and it's a lot harder for somebody to shove my rack inside their coat. Also Quadraverbs are sensational.

For just jamming random songs with friends, individual pedals are much easier.

very true on sound quality. the expensive rack mounted MFX units are often as good or better than most pedals, downside is cost. this issue isn't cut and dry at all.

i'm kinda on the other side of the fence as Cathbard on this. i use pedals but don't requier much in the line of changes. i only use 4 pedals and can't think of any songs i play that use all 4 at once. often maybe 1 will be on or none. for me it's mainly guitar, amp and finger grease. i like the idea of being able to switch out pedals if i find one that i like better. with MFX you may really like the delays on your unit but the chorus sounds aren't great. you either have to live with that or add another unit (pedal or mfx) to cover those sounds. this can lead to a complicated system which requiers a well programed controller (and god forbid that goes down). so there is much t be said on both sides. what works for you is the best choice.
I do more with my rack than just turn effects on and off too. I also use it to switch amp channels and adjust my gain structure through the amp. The actual effects are a minor part of the equation. With me it's all about tailoring the entire rig as required for different songs without ever having to touch the amp during a gig. Once you go rack it's hard to go back - but for just jamming it can be a bit of a pita.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
quality of sound - pedals
versatility/mobility - multi fx
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Im under the umbrella that says both are good in their own ways. For instance I have my Blues Jr. and multiple stomp boxes as listed below, which when I can I always choose over my MFX. But a lot of my time is spent playing at church where we have no amps, everything is direct. So I use my Digitech GNX 3. Which I have pretty much one patch that I use that emulates my actual rig. Now obviously for me I prefer the tone of my Blues Jr. ect. but since were running direct and using in ear Aviom monitors, its just a lot more convenient to use the multi FX than to lug my entire rig in and mess with getting it miced up every Sunday.

So in my situation I find a benefit in having both, I mean I got the GNX3 for $90 on CL so why not. It saves time, and 95% of our congregation couldn't tell the difference in tone of a Spider III or a Dumble, so it works for me. Just depends on your individual situation. But I would definitely recommend a good tube amp and stomp boxes if your budget/where you gig, practice, ect. allows for it.

Hope I was of some assistance.
Quote by fastlanestoner
quality of sound - pedals
versatility/mobility - multi fx

Really?
AxeFX, TC G-System, Quadraverb, Eventide?

It totally depends on what MFX units you buy. Some are awesome, some are crap - same goes with pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Really?
AxeFX, TC G-System, Quadraverb, Eventide?

It totally depends on what MFX units you buy. Some are awesome, some are crap - same goes with pedals.

+1

Lots of grey area. There are a lot of floor pedals that are adaptations of the rack stuff that are killer as well. i.e. Eventide, Strymon, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
My old GP-8 is like that in reverse. It's 8 Boss pedals in a single rack enclosure with MIDI control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My big problem with processors, TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST, is that I spend alllllll my time playing with the processor, and never actually write any songs...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My big problem with processors, TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST, is that I spend alllllll my time playing with the processor, and never actually write any songs...

We all go through that - it will pass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No I had to sell mine...

There is a point in music, where your not a guitarist anymore, your a DJ. That happens when you start playing with self-oscillisation?
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 10, 2012,
This is the first thread I've seen in a while that is explicitly against the rules.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
No I had to sell mine...

There is a point in music, where your not a guitarist anymore, your a DJ. That happens when you start playing with self-oscillisation?

Just because something is there it doesn't mean you have to use it. Your problem wasn't equipment it was self-restraint.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
No I had to sell mine...

Pretty sure the disc thing is essential to being a disc jockey.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Pretty sure the disc thing is essential to being a disc jockey.

Lot of PC's out there at the big shindigs now. Then again I suppose they have disks too.
SS hdd's will spell the end of the DJ as we know it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Lot of PC's out there at the big shindigs now. Then again I suppose they have disks too.
SS hdd's will spell the end of the DJ as we know it.

Oh man, that's possibly the most brilliant thing you have said so far this year.

Oh... self restraint.... I wouldn't know much about that....

Ask Dan.