I am trying to start recording on my personal computer and I have no idea where to get started. From the research I have done I believe I need a DAW and I believe Reaper will work for my needs. The big issue I have is getting my guitar to the comptuer so I can record. I believe an interface is what I need but I have no idea which one to get. I am looking to spend 100 at the most but I can spend more if its worth it on an interface. I will likely be recording primarily guitar but I would like to be able to expand into recording drums later on.

Also, will there be anything else I will need to start recording my music? Any suggestions are welcome.
If you just want guitar then $100 can get you a Line 6 GX. You will have to use an amp simulator and impulse response loader, because there are no mic inputs.

If you get that you will have to upgrade later for vocals and drums, or you could get a Lambda Alpha. The Alpha has a phantom powered mic input that can be used, for a condenser mic. A condenser mic would allow you to do vocals. The mic input would also allow you to mic an amp if you want to record that way.

If you get a mic you would probably want to be up a Shure SM57 for around $100 as well.

Recording drums will cost you a bit more than $100.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by FireHawk
If you just want guitar then $100 can get you a Line 6 GX. You will have to use an amp simulator and impulse response loader, because there are no mic inputs.

If you get that you will have to upgrade later for vocals and drums, or you could get a Lambda Alpha. The Alpha has a phantom powered mic input that can be used, for a condenser mic. A condenser mic would allow you to do vocals. The mic input would also allow you to mic an amp if you want to record that way.

If you get a mic you would probably want to be up a Shure SM57 for around $100 as well.

Recording drums will cost you a bit more than $100.

I would go with a line 6 device as well. I use a line 6 sutdio UX2 (its $200) but they make models that are cheaper that work just as well. Check their website as some of the models come with pod farm, which is their amp simulator.
I will definitly look into line 6. The more I look into it the more I think revalver or a free amp simulator online will work for me, but I would like hte option to use a microphone. The phantom power is a huge plus and I definitly have no issue spending more than 100 if it will support all that and even drums. I have no definite set budget, but I cant go crazy.

I will definitly look into line 6 thanks for the suggestions so far. Any other brand reccommendations?
You could buy EZ drummer for drums(VSTI or also known as virtual instrument )
I use Reaper and it's great!
You could some free VSTI's on the web!