Just had a thought. Certain careers that require a degree and/or a license to be a "professional". Why would you need them? Im talking about graphic design, architecture, recording engineer, or even possibly a doctor (though thats pushing it)

You must take a test to become a licensed architect so why would you need a degree as well? If you can take the test and get a license why would you go to 4 years of school. Same with if you're good at graphic design or recording musicians, why would you want to waste time and money going to school just to get a piece of paper saying you graduated?

The theory on doctors i have is if you can go take the MCATs and do well on them, why would you have to go to pre-med school?? (although like i said, this is probably pushing it)
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Last edited by mrsixstrings12 at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by mrsixstrings12
Just had a thought. Certain careers that require a degree and/or a license to be a "professional". Why would you need them? Im talking about graphic design, architecture, recording engineer, or even possibly a doctor (though thats pushing it)

You must take a test to become a licensed architect so why would you need a degree as well? If you can take the test and get a license why would you go to 4 years of school. Same with if you're good at graphic design or recording musicians, why would you want to waste time and money going to school just to get a piece of paper saying you graduated?

The theory on doctors i have is if you can go take the MCATs and do well on them, why would you have to go to pre-med school?? (although like i said, this is probably pushing it)

So you want somebody designing buildings and products or diagnosing your illness whose only experience has been in an academic setting?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
yes, you can look at it that way. but im saying, if they can pass the tests to get licensed to be a professional, they obviously know what they're doing.
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
I think he's saying the opposite. If someone has the knowledge to pass the test, he wants to know why they would also need a degree.
Agreed, assuming the test is the end all be all of knowledge in that subject, and the person could pass it with a high percentile with no schooling, then it stands to reason that they shouldn't need the schooling
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by aildeokl
I think he's saying the opposite. If someone has the knowledge to pass the test, he wants to know why they would also need a degree.
Degree is proof of knowledge?
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Degree is proof of knowledge?
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
There's more to a degree than learning a set of facts and skills. When you get a degree, you learn how the professional community works in a specific trade or profession, you also learn the underlying processes (that are hard to demonstrate through a test) that let you solve your own problems instead of just parroting back a closed set of problems you've memorized.

A degree isn't there to fill your head up, it's there to change the way you think. Even the best tests really only test what your head is filled up with, not the way you think. I want a dentist that thinks like a dentist, not a dentist who just happened to memorize all of the common procedures and rules of dentistry. The same goes for any profession.
Quote by behind_you
What?
Nothin', just being an 11er
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Well it proves that the person his well versed in their particular field of study. Also, I sure as hell don't want a person without a degree performing surgery on me.
West Ham United
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That smiley fits the "just existing" statements perfectly. I've never seen it used properly before.

Cheers, man
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Graphic design, recording music, and most art/multimedia jobs in general don't require a degree or licensing. You'd be pretty unlikely to get those jobs without a degree but if you're really good and know the right people you could be a very successful freelancer in the art/multimedia world without any formal schooling.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.