Traversing though the vast assortment of metal band's myspace pages, facebook, whatever, has proven to be quite the foreboding task when confronted with the street teams, shameless promotion and genuine non-uniqueness of these bands who employ these tactics.

I guess my question would be, are these "tactics" effective in promotion? Do they act as a hindrance to the quality of the band when they're constantly spamming their name?

Do the mass emails have a positive effect? Would you like to see them gone from the metal world, or music world entirely?

How do you guys feel about "street teams"? Too impersonal? On that note, do you guys want metal to be more personal? Do you like the interaction you get from other fans of metal?

Mainly just asking because I absolutely despise the people promote their music to ridiculous heights. Annoys the balls off me, of course I don't mind if it's somebody like Rome who can throw a good track my way every once in a while. But people I'm not really anywhere near familiar with, just talking to me so they can promote their shit?

Psssssh.
Honestly I think the best method to go is to just not really promote it yourself,show other people that you know, and maybe link some tracks if people ask or mention they like a similar band, and if they like it enough they will show other people. When people randomly add me on youtube to show me their band, and I get aggressively asked to view a random band when I was'nt looking for new music, I will maybe bother, I can;t think of a band i like who has done this though.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Most bands that have sent me friend requests on myspace and facebook have sucked....so uh, yeah.

But I don't mind receiving emails from say Hells headbangers every once and awhile when they have some new releases.
Quote by Riffmast
I can;t think of a band i like who has done this though.

I think that's the point to be making here. They're ultimately forgettable, whether or not the music is or not.

Quote by technicolour
But I don't mind receiving emails from say Hells headbangers every once and awhile when they have some new releases.

Labels are fine in my mind, I buy product from HHR so it's nice to receive the emails, I'm speaking more of the bands themselves, or their "street team".

I can't think of any famous bands using such things.
"famous" bands do that, but they are locally famous with teenaged girls. I don't mind teenaged girls, but i would rather be in
a legitimate band who gains fans for a good reason.
Quote by Steve08

Rok and crew were perhaps the best example of how to do it right.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
It's really annoying when some band posts on facebook "Share our page to all your friends! let's have X number of likes by next week !!".

The funniest form of internet promotion is when a band member makes a thread on a forum about the band, then makes fake accounts replying shit like "Wow this is really good !!". I've seen it happen a few times and it's hilarious because people always realize it and call them out.

Another thing that pisses me off is when a band promotes their music, and people criticize it, they got batshit and start arguing that their music is really good. That really lowers my respect very quickly. Seen it happen a few times.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
The closest thing to a street team I've come across were two people handing out flyers after a show. The second closest would be someone going "hey, check this band out/there's a gig going on there". Can't complain.
Quote by illuminatiano
It's really annoying when some band posts on facebook "Share our page to all your friends! let's have X number of likes by next week !!".

The funniest form of internet promotion is when a band member makes a thread on a forum about the band, then makes fake accounts replying shit like "Wow this is really good !!". I've seen it happen a few times and it's hilarious because people always realize it and call them out.

Another thing that pisses me off is when a band promotes their music, and people criticize it, they got batshit and start arguing that their music is really good. That really lowers my respect very quickly. Seen it happen a few times.

This x10
Can't stand bands that do "HELP US GET X AMOUNT OF LIKES". Fuuuuck that noise. Got so annoyed at my vocalist for doing one the other day. It was like "dude, the album has just come out, we don't need to be going 'Get us likes', we should be going 'Enjoy the music!' and hope it gets us to X amount, Jesus..."

Have never actually seen bands fake-commenting on themselves, but that's hilarious.

And yeah, personally, considering how much I bag out OTHER bands, it would be pretty hypocritical to turn around and go "You don't like my music? You just don't GET it man, it's too complex, we put more effort into it than you have, I don't see YOUR band getting anywhere, etc etc etc". It all just gets way too petty, and I'd rather stay a one faced bastard than a two faced one.
'Hey man, long time no see, how is everything?'

'well I'm-'

'That's great! Hahahah wow you havent changed! Anyway look we're playing a gig in Malaysia next week with 3 other djent bands, just kind of get the word out about it if you can, you know mention it in your status maybe? Support Irish metal and all that! Right see ya'

Die.

Also, the idea of setting up a facebook page for 'get ______ to support In Flames' is pathetic. 'Come on guys, got loads of likes today, we need more tho! XD!!'
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I often see bands on last.fm promoting themselves on other band pages, like "if you like this band, check out our band!". Don't really care for that kind of promotion, cause it's not really for a band to say who they sound like and being aware of that bias, I never check out bands who promote themselves this way.
Same logic applies for adding on myspace/facebook etc. It's like ads on Facebook. I know they're customized after what I like but I never click 'em.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
I'm glad you are all goat cultist stifflers when it comes to this stuff like I am, consumerist pandering of music has to stop forever.
Quote by Steve08

If a band has to go to great lengths to promote themselves, they are more than likely complete shite anyway.

Case in point - this band spam every single possible avenue without actually resorting to posting flyers through people's letterboxes. Listen to this balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZK8B3PNBI4
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
^Just reported that for improper content. I saw a nipple.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Apologies, I don't think I made it far enough into the video to see that
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
If a band has to go to great lengths to promote themselves, they are more than likely complete shite anyway.

This. Strangles nailed it.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Another thing I've dealt with is stuff like "hey man, you should come to this show, support your local scene!"
"...I don't like any of those bands"
"yeah, but if you go, it'll help strengthen the scene and we can get more touring bands here that you would like"
"....no"

First of all, the only going touring band to come to my town in the past year (or year and a half) was napalm death. The rest of the stuff is your usually deathcore shit.

Second of all, the only band that played in this town in the past..2 years that I wanted to see was a band that I personally invited, and set up a basement show for.
Quote by Stranglehold

Case in point - this band spam every single possible avenue without actually resorting to posting flyers through people's letterboxes. Listen to this balls:

Holy shit,1:02
lassssst foweeevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

This is like AFI mixed with ectasy and Meshuggah.

As far as local scene politics goes, you will get a bigger scene when your city grows, that is all.In order to get good gigs going you will need someone with a decent amount of money ahead of time for the most part.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by illuminatiano

Aye, the same band did it on two different forums I use the other day
http://truecultheavymetal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4079
http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33939
Quote by Riffmast
This is like AFI mixed with ectasy and Meshuggah.

I think that's a bit insulting to AFI (...and ecstasy, and Meshuggah)

Genuinely ruined my morning
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
How did I know it was going to be Silent Decent... they've now gone from a guilty pleasure to absolute asses in my books.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm mixed opinions about the likes on facebook thing. It's annoying and I won't pay attention to a band who puts up status after status asking for likes to be able to support another band or win a little contest.

But I've had a few friends in bands talking to me and asking if I could just pop onto x website and vote for them to help them out. And I don't mind that because they asked in a personal way and I want to help them out.

Then again, I don't really know the NeOb guys but I've put votes in for them in the past on certain things just because they're so damn good.

So I guess there are some good ways it can be done but getting likes should never be a bands forefront of advertising.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by Stranglehold

What the hell did I just listen..