My Ibanez RG470 is much quieter than both of the two other guitars I own, which are a Hamer Standard (Alder Body Explorer shape) and an Agile AL-3100 (Chambered Body Les Paul).

I'm wanting to make the RG my main guitar for gigging, however, it puts out much less volume than the two other guitars. On my new Jet City JCA20H (which I'm very pleased with, btw), I can run the Hamer at around 5 or so and it's plenty loud enough to be heard over the rest of the band (drums, another guitar, bass, and vox), but with the Ibanez I have to push the volume up to at least 7, if not a bit higher.

I know the Ibby's body isn't quite as thick as the other two guitars, but I still don't understand why there's such a differential between it and the other two guitars in volume. Perhaps it's the pickups? They're the stock V-series that came in the guitar (I bought it off my friend not too long ago). Wiring maybe? Something else?

Thanks for any help!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
could be pickup output difference, could be due to the solder joints, any number of factors. I experience this between my main les paul and my backup, as well as my strat. 3 different output levels...

Every show I just pray a string doesn't break on my main...
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
get a very subtle boost pedal and set it for the difference in volume and have it sitting behind the amp or something and just turn it on when you change guitar to bring up the volume of the quieter guitar.

but yeah it sounds like its the pickups. maybe even dodgey pots
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Could be the pickups are too far away from the strings too...

A good setup could help.

Adjusted those. The bridge pickup was a little too low for my liking, so I raised it up. I lowered the single coil in the middle to prevent from hitting it with the pick. Raising the bridge helped a little, but not all that much.

I'm thinking it's probably either the pickups themselves or pots. I guess I should have mentioned this in the OP, but when I switch to the RG I also notice a loss of gain along with the volume differential.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Mar 9, 2012,
That's for the sound guy to worry about

Oh, or you can get a boost pedal like at the end of your chain. Maybe that would help.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Post a gutshot showing the wiring, we can help you .

How close is the bridge pickup to the strings? All the stock Ibanez pickups I've tried have plenty of output..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
That's for the sound guy to worry about

Oh, or you can get a boost pedal like at the end of your chain. Maybe that would help.

At first I thought that too, "oh well, I'll let the sound guy know in advance that I'll have some volume differences in one of my guitars". However, the difference in the volumes is really bugging me. The gap in volume between the RG and the other two guitars is enough to make me ponder if there isn't something wrong with either the pickups or the pots/wiring. For the time being though, this is probably the route I'll be taking until I make some changes to the guitar.

As far as getting a boost, I use a single channel amp set to a light-mid crunch sound that I can roll off guitar volume to clean up. I'm already front-ending the amp with a Bad Monkey for my gainier needs. If I'm going to spend money, I feel like I'd be better served putting that money into upgrading the guitar as opposed to buying a boost.

Quote by Flux'D

Post a gutshot showing the wiring, we can help you .

How close is the bridge pickup to the strings? All the stock Ibanez pickups I've tried have plenty of output..

I should be able to get a gutshot up tomorrow. Thanks!

As far as the pickup height, it's quite close. I couldn't give you any sort of numerical estimate, but it's definitely set pretty high.

This is my first Ibanez, and all-in-all I have very little experience with Ibby's so it could just be me, but it's got a bit of "twang" to it. It doesn't sound bad, but it also doesn't sound as full as my other guitars with humbuckers.
Quote by Zeppelin71
If you don't have an effects loop, the boost wont work; it will just push the amp harder.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you don't have an effects loop, the boost wont work; it will just push the amp harder.

No effects loop. Plus, as I said, If I'm going to drop money into something, I'd prefer it be the guitar itself.

Also, one more observation about the sound, I feel like I'm not getting the pickups' full output. I've been reading some about the RG470's and more specifically the V-pickups and I haven't seen any problems similar to mine.
Quote by Zeppelin71
There's something going on in the wiring for sure then. Could be as simple as something touching where it shouldn't. Did you buy it used?

When you touch the bridge (or other metal parts) does a faint hum go away? Or does it get worse? Does the selector switch cut out or make scratchy noises when you move it? For that matter, does any of the controls make scratchy noises through your amp?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Flux'D
There's something going on in the wiring for sure then. Could be as simple as something touching where it shouldn't. Did you buy it used?

When you touch the bridge (or other metal parts) does a faint hum go away? Or does it get worse? Does the selector switch cut out or make scratchy noises when you move it? For that matter, does any of the controls make scratchy noises through your amp?

I bought it used from a friend for an absolute steal of a price. He just wanted rid of it. According to him he hadn't touched it in a while, so it just sat in it's case. It plays great, and for the price, I couldn't turn it down.

No hum on the bridge or anything like that, but today while I was playing it I thought I heard a very faint scratchiness when I was using the volume knob. It was very slight, but there.

I'm going to open the thing up tomorrow and take a peek inside while I'm at my band's studio. I'll post some gut shots, too. If it's something fairly minor, I'm hoping my bass player can fix it. He's normally good with things like this.
Quote by Zeppelin71