Hey everyone.

I've been playing guitar for about 7-8 years now, but all that time, iv'e just been playing. Iv'e not yet dabbled in the recording side of things, but I want to start.

All I really want to achieve at the moment is some good sounding covers, and I'd like some opinions on some decent equipment to start off with.
Eg. getting a Shure SM57 and just miking my amp, or getting an interface like a pod etc.

Thanks.
You're going to need an interface if you want to mic your amp with a SM57. I have a pod before and they are pretty good. To start I would get a SM57 and an M-Audio fast track pro. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
I use a Shure SM58beta, a PV6 usb mixer, and Reaper. Thats all for hardware. the rest is all pluggins and stuff. And when i record direct i just plug my tele right into the mic input on the mixer itself. Works fine for me.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by KevinFreund
You're going to need an interface if you want to mic your amp with a SM57. I have a pod before and they are pretty good. To start I would get a SM57 and an M-Audio fast track pro. Hope that helps.

Ok thanks...Thats pretty much what I was looking at doing.
What's your amp like, first of all?

I'm a big fan of software emulation and use virtual amps on almost all of my recordings, but nothing beats a nice amp well mic'd up.
Multitrackers are a good way to start if you're just looking at recording a few songs to supplement your guitar playing.

If you want to get into recording professionally obviously you'll need to spend hours learning how to work the various software & plugins etc, but for the typical home recording artist multitrackers can do everything they'd use software for and are significantly easier to use. Some even include drum/bass programmers so you wouldn't need any additional equipment for that.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud