So: I have a riff. Trouble is that I don't know the theory behind it, so I would like to know theory-wise, what am I doing? My buddy who plays piano says I am changing keys halfway through. I'm kind of in the camp of "if it sounds good don't worry about the theory". However, I would like to learn more about theory. If that paragraph made sense to anyone, bonus. Here's what I'm playing:

Its in 6/8 time, all notes are 8th notes.
The chords are (from TuxGuitar) Gm -- F#aug -- A#/5- \E -- A#/F:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------3-----------------3-----------------3------------------3------------
--------3---3------------3---3------------3----3-------------3---3----------
-----0---------0------0---------0------0----------0-------0---------0-------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--3-----------------2----------------0-------------------1---------------------

And the turn-around, which follows the previous riff. (The * = a grace note):

------------------------------------------------------
-----------3---------------------3-------------------
--------3---------------------3---------------------
-----0-----------0---------0-----------------------
--0-----------1---------3----------1--*1h0-------
-----------------------------------------------------

Couple questions: Could I write the "F#aug" as "F#+"? And can someone explain to me the theory behind the A#/5- \E? I read that as an A# chord, with a dimished 5th as the root, over E.

Thanks you guys for your time.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
sure, i'll explain it to you. you aren't really changing chords. chord changes imply changes in harmony -- you have the same harmony throughout. so don't think of it this way. just think of it as a G minor harmony with a changing bass note.

yes, + is augmented. so that's fine. i have no idea what "A#/5 - \E" means. i'm assuming you're trying to tell me there's a Bb5/E, which is not the case here. it's not even a powerchord - it's just a major dyad with a doubled third. D Bb D.

your buddy who plays piano doesn't know jack shit if he thinks you're changing keys.

and props to you. you understand that the supreme rule is sounding good, and you still want to know more about your craft. that's admirable.

if you have any further questions, i welcome them.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Okay, sorry for being a super n00b, but I am playing in Gm, correct? I'm trying to go for a classical guitar feel; a moving bass line with a hopefully moving melody. If you\ve got any suggestions for how to expand on my prior ideas that'd be awesome.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Okay, sorry for being a super n00b, but I am playing in Gm, correct? I'm trying to go for a classical guitar feel; a moving bass line with a hopefully moving melody. If you\ve got any suggestions for how to expand on my prior ideas that'd be awesome.

yeah, you're in G minor. if you want to go for a "classical guitar" feel, i suggest learning some classical guitar pieces. generally it's a bit more than playing a chord with a melody -- there are moving voices. here's a well-known and fairly simple piece for classical guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXC9tuumjiA

as far as expanding on your ideas goes, i'm not sure there's much i can offer you. keep working. try to make the melody change with the bass. the only other thing that's jumping out at me is your bass: you have it as G, F#, E, F -- i'd make it G, F, E, F#. this way you have the F leading down into the E, and the F# leading back up to the G. but again, this isn't really a "it has to be this way" kind of thing. it just flows a little better, in my opinion.

if you want to try changing the harmonies, try playing Gm over the G, Bbmaj over the F, Cmaj over the E, and Dmaj over the F#. i'll tab out the chords for you:

|---------|
|-3-3-1-3-|
|-3-3-0-2-|
|-0-0-2-0-|
|---------|
|-3-1-0-2-|

if you want to try putting a melody in there, that's even better.

best of luck to you.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Thanks a lot. The reason I did G to F# to E to F was that it sounded different. Not quite as predictable, you know? Thanks a lot for the chord suggestions
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive