So I just started trying out 5 string sweeps about a day ago and I think I've got it down pretty well, except on a few down stroke sweeps. Namely ones like this

----------------2------
--------------3--------
-----------2-----------
--------4--------------
-----5-----------------

The problem is when I try doing it to speed it's hard to tell if I'm hitting all the notes or not because occasionally it feels like my ring or middle fingers aren't going down all the way and are just muting the strings. I can't tell for sure, and at those speeds eyesight doesn't really help so I'm not sure what I can do to make sure my technique is right.

Is there anyway that I can tell for sure all of my fingers are going down all the way? I suppose it's all just a blur at those speeds anyway and it doesn't matter too much if I miss 1 note occasionally, but I'd like to know I'm doing it right.
I'm too tired to try and make complete sense of this post.

You should be able to tell if you're hitting each individual note.
Judging by the fact that you're only now just started 5 string sweeps, i'm going to assume you haven't been sweeping very long at all, therefore you aren't very good or very fast yet.

Mmmm dunno, this is just weird. If you can't tell if you're hitting the note or not, chances are that you're probably not hitting the note.
I just woke up from a nap so i'm pretty tired and grouchy haha but ummm, yeah i'm gonna say without any video evidence that you're going too fast and need to slow down.
Blur is bad. The notes should be following one another like pearls on a pearl necklace. Every note distinct and clear. If its blurry at a given speed you are not fast enough for it jet.
wait you have the ability to record it and you still can't figure it out?

if you record yourself doing it correctly at a slow speed, then record yourself trying it at the speed you are talking about it should be pretty apparent weather or not you are missing something.... or at least I've never had a problem telling if something I did was right from a play back...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
wait you have the ability to record it and you still can't figure it out?

if you record yourself doing it correctly at a slow speed, then record yourself trying it at the speed you are talking about it should be pretty apparent weather or not you are missing something.... or at least I've never had a problem telling if something I did was right from a play back...

Actually I never thought to record it until now, but besides that, I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing judge me as I'm a little inexperienced to be judging myself.

Anyway, I apparently get nervous in front of the camera so this is a little sloppy but here's what I've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5PUsz_HAos

There's a lot more string muting normally, I promise. So is this right(for the most part) or am I way off?
You're playing too fast, not to mention you're only descending. I'm nearly positive you can't ascend as fast as you descend.
Quote by vayne92
You're playing too fast, not to mention you're only descending. I'm nearly positive you can't ascend as fast as you descend.

I thought descending was high to low? Well either way, I'm only descending? because that's what I was having trouble with, and the whole reason I asked for help. Ascending? is a lot easier for me.
Quote by vayne92

^this

now I reccomend recording yourself often specifically for your own eyes and listen to what you are doing, it will help more than you think.

also try going down then up then down then up slowly so you can get that down before playing it fast.
<Edit>
Quote by jimicrackcorn
I thought descending was high to low? Well either way, I'm only descending? because that's what I was having trouble with, and the whole reason I asked for help. Ascending? is a lot easier for me.

ascending and decending is describing the motion of your hand not the notes (in terms of sweep picking).
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Last edited by krypticguitar87 at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by krypticguitar87
^this

now I reccomend recording yourself often specifically for your own eyes and listen to what you are doing, it will help more than you think.

also try going down then up then down then up slowly so you can get that down before playing it fast.

OK, thanks. What would be a good speed to practice at do you think?
personally I'd start with really slow, almost to the point that it's boring like 75-80 bpm. if you can hit it perfectly and comfortably (dont cheat, because your not cheating anyone but yourself if you do). if you cant hit it perfect then slow down, if you can then try it faster till it becomes tricky. once you find the point in which it becomes tricky drop by 5-10 bpm and practice till you can play it perfectly about 10-20 times, then slowly move up by 2 or 3 bmp.
Quote by Dirk Gently
You're not hitting all the notes because your hands aren't in sync. You went too fast too soon. You need to practice with a metronome at a speed which is almost too easy. Play it through until you can play it perfectly 5 or 10 times in a row before bumping up the bpm a bit.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by krypticguitar87
personally I'd start with really slow, almost to the point that it's boring like 75-80 bpm. if you can hit it perfectly and comfortably (dont cheat, because your not cheating anyone but yourself if you do). if you cant hit it perfect then slow down, if you can then try it faster till it becomes tricky. once you find the point in which it becomes tricky drop by 5-10 bpm and practice till you can play it perfectly about 10-20 times, then slowly move up by 2 or 3 bmp.

Wow that's reallly slow, is that triplets or just plain quarter notes? And what would you describe as perfect? I guess I've never really heard a good clean example of a sweep pick so I'm really not sure how it's supposed to sound. Apparently not how I was doing it though lol.
okay pick either quarter eighth or sixteenth notes (I prefeer quarter I know it's real slow but it helps to be one note per click in terms of perfecting it), perfect would be going all the way through with out any mistakes. as you go down hit each note only once, you will only be able to synch your hands up if you practice slowly....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by krypticguitar87
okay pick either quarter eighth or sixteenth notes (I prefeer quarter I know it's real slow but it helps to be one note per click in terms of perfecting it), perfect would be going all the way through with out any mistakes. as you go down hit each note only once, you will only be able to synch your hands up if you practice slowly....

ok, thanks for all the advice. Oh, you said each note only once, does that mean I have to hammer on and pull off at he top and bottom?

------------------4--7p4--------
----------------5----------5--------
--------------4---------------4---
-----------6--------------------6
-----4h7--------------------------7

like this? Or just do:

------------------4----------
----------------5----5--------
--------------4--------4---
-----------6-------------6
--------7------------------7
?
hammer on and pull offs each string should only be hit once while sweeping...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by krypticguitar87
hammer on and pull offs each string should only be hit once while sweeping...

Once in all? Or once per stroke? I mean, if I sweep down to the 1st string, when I come back up,can I hit it again or do I start the upstoke on the 2nd string? I'm confused now.
Last edited by jimicrackcorn at Mar 9, 2012,
once per stroke, peronally I would try it like this

------------------4h7-7p4-------------
----------------5---------5-----------
--------------4--------------4--------
-----------6-------------------6------
-----4h7-------------------------7p4--

Quote by Dirk Gently
||--------------14-17-17-14-------------||
B||-----------15-------------15----------||
G||--------14-------------------14-------||
D||-----16-------------------------16----||
A||--17-------------------------------17-||
E||--------------------------------------||

Personally I think this is the best thing to practice at a beginner level - triplets or sextuplets, every note is picked, so it's 5 downs, up down on the repeated note, then 5 ups. Make absolutely certain this is what you're doing, a lot of people initially feel more natural doing small variations on that, and with this technique that just doesn't work. Perfect consistency of execution is required.

As the guys are saying, you want to take it much slower - if you aren't certain you're hitting every note, you're not hitting them. That said, your right and left hands are doing the correct motions and you're well on your way. (provided you slow down for the next couple of months!)
Props for practicing your sweeps on a clean tone too
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
(w/Riff 4 2tx)
[-------------12-15/19_15-------------------------7--10/14_10-------------]
[----------13---------p---17-------------------8----------p---12----------]
[*------12-------------------16-------------7--------------------11------*]GTR 3
[*---14----------------------------------9-------------------------------*]
[-15----------------------------------10----------------------------------]
[-------------------------------------------------------------------------]

I like to do this sweep exercise, it's the solo from Children of Bodom - Bed of Razors
Quote by Freepower
Could be a little more even, I wouldn't speed it up any, but it's almost ready at that tempo, well done, the work shows.

Yeah, I've never really been good with a metronome. I guess I should probably spend more time trying use one. I can never get the hang of it though.