I have the 81/60 set. I was wondering which pickup you guys use for metal style solos? thanks.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The bridge is sharper and the neck is smoother.
For metal you could probably play the bridge but it's always up to taste.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
for example, i love soloing with the bridge, but i like to do everything with a bridge pup. then again, i like to mute a lot and play fast, so its cool.
my Ibanez RGT6EXFX (favourite guitar i've ever played) has 85/81s in it. I use the neck to solo cos it gives a nice smoother sort of sound as said above. There's no reason you can't solo with active EMG's. I think they sound great
I use 808Xs and I prefer the neck pickup. I'll sometimes use both the bridge and neck together if I need to go lower, just so the bass isn't overpowering. I generally prefer not to use the bridge pickup because it's too harsh to my ears... at least for the higher registers, which I'm usually always in. Rolling back the tone knob helps, but kills any reason I had for using the bridge to begin with.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I use EMG 85's in the neck and 81's in the bridge. The 85's (neck pickup) is in my opinion the best for metal soloing, but that's just my opinion.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
It really is taste, depending on whatever I am playing to I switch to a pickup that feels right to me. I know what each pickup will sound like if switched too and I can hear it in my head, so I just pick whatever feels good for the respective song. I think you should just screw around, get a really good idea how the pickups respond to your playstyle, then pick what you like.
How is this a thread? just like every other kind of pick up (passive or active) it really comes down to taste.

anyway here's how you can tell first try a small lick over a riff with you neck pick up only, then again with the bridge pick up only, then finally with both of them. now which one did you like best? thats your answer.

eventually you'll be able to tell which one feels better for each song.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
thanks guys.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by krypticguitar87
How is this a thread? just like every other kind of pick up (passive or active) it really comes down to taste.

anyway here's how you can tell first try a small lick over a riff with you neck pick up only, then again with the bridge pick up only, then finally with both of them. now which one did you like best? thats your answer.

eventually you'll be able to tell which one feels better for each song.

I agree
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com