Hello, I've been playing guitar for 5 years now but I haven't had the chance to ever play on many other guitars other than my Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (not a prestige). When comparing the RG Prestige to the RG Fixed/Tremolo models, I understand that there are differences between wood quality, the pickups (INF vs Dimarzio or Vintage), bridges (EdgeIII vs Edge Pro), but does someone have enough experience to tell me why there is a difference in price by like $1000 from the Prestige and regular models? These factors I just listed cannot fully account for this price difference can they? I want to get better before I buy a guitar. But, can someone explain this price difference and explain how much more awesome a Prestige feels (assuming the player has exceptional guitar skills).
Quote by tappooh
Link you said, the pick ups and the Edge Pro are some serious $. Other than that Prestige are made in Japan while regular RG's are made in Indonesia, Prestige models also have prestige necks which are slimmer than regular Wizards.

So if I just buy an Ibanez Fixed and replace the pickups, the only difference will be the quality of wood, neck size, and bridge (Gibraltar vs Tight End)... Also, why is being crafted in Japan better? I always hear Japan factories are better. But what about the factories makes them better than Indonesia or China. Are the quality controls higher in Japan? Cause when it comes down to it people are crafting the guitars regardless of location. Or is the pay better in Japan so they have a greater incentive to work?
It's kind of a cop out to just say "quality" but it really is. Everything about the guitar *should* be better - the exception being the pickups unless you get one of the high end prestiges which have DiMarzios usually.

I've owned a handful of Ibanez guitars and I've never come accross a standard series that was nicer than a Prestige. It's the sort of thing that's hard to explain, and hard to understand when you just look at specs/pics on the internet. But if you actually get your hands on more expensive guitars you *usually* can understand why they cost that much more.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
It's kind of a cop out to just say "quality" but it really is. Everything about the guitar *should* be better - the exception being the pickups unless you get one of the high end prestiges which have DiMarzios usually.

I've owned a handful of Ibanez guitars and I've never come accross a standard series that was nicer than a Prestige. It's the sort of thing that's hard to explain, and hard to understand when you just look at specs/pics on the internet. But if you actually get your hands on more expensive guitars you *usually* can understand why they cost that much more.

Ahhh I see guess I'll take your word for it. Looks like I'll have to find a way out to a Guitar Center.
But if you actually get your hands on more expensive guitars you *usually* can understand why they cost that much more.
Bodies are usually made of better woods, as well as better quality wood. PUPS are way better, usually DiMarzio's made to DiMarzio specs as opposed to DiMarzio's made to Ibanez specs. Bridge/tremolo is considerably better and have the added ZR/ZPS3 mechanism to make drop tuning much easier and faster to do. The bridge also balances much faster and easier and holds a tune better. Some of the higher models have flamed/quilted maple tops and bindings. The necks are flatter, wider, and have a more comfortable radius. They also are made of 5 pieces as opposed to 3 and many top models contain titanium rods for extra support for using heavier strings. Headstocks have better quality tuners. Fingerboards are made of better woods and inlays. Much more attention to detail and quality assurance is done on all parts and aspects of the guitar. Sound quality and playability is much greater than most of the standard models. A high end Prestige is worth every penny.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by VectorToHeavens
So if I just buy an Ibanez Fixed and replace the pickups, the only difference will be the quality of wood, neck size, and bridge (Gibraltar vs Tight End)... Also, why is being crafted in Japan better? I always hear Japan factories are better. But what about the factories makes them better than Indonesia or China. Are the quality controls higher in Japan? Cause when it comes down to it people are crafting the guitars regardless of location. Or is the pay better in Japan so they have a greater incentive to work?

Yes, the only difference will be, that you have a completely different guitar made from different materials and to different standards.
So, why don't you buy a Gibson instead?
Same difference really, only that the body has a different shape as well.
Also, Japan has much much higher quality standards.