Poll: I think..
Poll Options
View poll results: I think..
This is definitely for oil, open your eyes TS!
9 25%
It ain't altruism, but it ain't bad either
11 31%
There's absolutely nothing in it for the US.
4 11%
TS is a knob.
12 33%
Voters: 36.
Hover first cause this might be a somewhat misleading title.

So, I have a friend who thinks the reason the US is interfering isn't entirely altruistic. Which is true to some extent (I think it's votes, he thinks it's oil). Here's a couple quotes from him:
warning: incoming wall of text, you don't have to read all the quotes
The real reason why this campaign was carried out was to fool the people into thinking that the reason behind military interference in Uganda is because of Kony, not because of the oil. If they want to raise attention, they would have done it about serious matters, not something that there is no proof it actually exists, just a couple of videos of sob stories. It is the Iraq war all over again, connect the dots yourself.

It's working its way into direct interference though. The millions of people that have been fooled by this campaign are already demanding Kony to be caught, and pushing the US government to make actions, which is exactly the point of this campaign. If they've got the backing of the people, then they can easily enter Uganda, rape its land and steal its riches, all through working towards the mission of "capturing" Kony. That is exactly what will happen, and they will "catch" him, kill him and throw his body in the ocean, a whole too similar story as to what has happened with Osama Bin Laden. No proof to be laid down, just a couple of horribly edited pictures, and that would be it, everyone will fall for it and guess who's the hero? Obama. Another 4 years in office for him. Now watch as the people of Uganda suffer from the presence of the US military forces, who to be realistic are far worse than Kony can ever be. Look at what has happened in Palestine, Vietnam, Iraq, Congo, Colombia, Afghanistan, Libya, Mexico, Panama, Somalia, Haiti, Yugoslavia, and I can really carry on this extremely long list of countries terrorized by the US government and military. They would never act upon an issue such as this simply for "doing good" or "making this world a better place", there's always a hidden agenda behind every similar campaign carried out, and the truth always gets exposed. But sadly, the majority of people have already fallen for the lies, so they won't accept the facts of the truth which they'll be faced with later on.

I find his point of view interesting because;

a) I didn't even know there was that much oil in Uganda, and I didn't think the US would need a foreign fossil fuel source since I understand most of their oil is local.

b) Although no country ever interferes in another country's business without a hidden agenda, he thinks it could turn out quite bad for Ugandan people and;

c) He also says one aim of the campaign is to direct our attention away from our own national issues, which I don't find plausible but maybe the pit thinks otherwise.

So, what do you guys think? Is this some sort of conspiracy to get the US more oil? Or is it entirely altruistic? Poll coming.
Might just be me but I don't really give a shit about Kony and his cronies.

People may actually be alot happier if they focused on themselves
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I can see the similarities and possibility of this being the case.

The idea of it being used to direct attention away from the problems at home seems very likely, especially since recently leaked documents show that the UK (among others) are using the Iranian nuclear issue to do just that. Even though other leaked documents show that Israel has already destroyed much of the equipment for nuclear capabilities.

On the other hand, this is still a massive issue, and I can't help but think we could live to regret not doing something to try and stop it.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
raising attention doesnt help save children from being sold as sex slaves. we need to do something about it, not blog about our views.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

a) I didn't even know there was that much oil in Uganda, and I didn't think the US would need a foreign fossil fuel source since I understand most of their oil is local.

Isn't most of the US's oil imported?
It's a bit complex, but it's not about oil.

The place is a disaster, and the child soldiers is hardly a new development, but there are serious doubts over which side is worse, and most professionals who asses the situation say to either stay out or carpet bomb the whole area into the stone age.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

well I thought a tonne of it was imported, but either way they still want to control the source.

oil is one of those things that the US could never have too much of
The majority of the US's oil is local in the sense that most of it comes from North America.

The majority of our crude oil comes from Canada, and then I'm not sure if it goes US then Mexico or Mexico then US.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

The US consume 40% of the annual world wide Oil production

They produce 4%

Hell yes they need oil form abroad!!
Quote by lambofgod127

Quote by WhoAMEye
The US consume 40% of the annual world wide Oil production

They produce 4%

Hell yes they need oil form abroad!!

Try 24%-ish and 11%, but nice try.
Africa has a lot of untapped resources that could be exploited if the region were more stable. There is definitely a hidden agenda, or possibility of one. The US wouldn't mind a foothold in Africa, there's a lot to be gained for them, at the expense of the locals.
Also, it could be a vote-grab exercise, not only to distract from other issues, but to get all the young voters on side.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Dory77
Also, it could be a vote-grab exercise, not only to distract from other issues, but to get all the young voters on side.

I wasn't aware whoever started this campaign was running for political office.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I wasn't aware whoever started this campaign was running for political office.

I'm not saying that it is some big conspiracy, or that the film-makers want to run for some political office. I was just throwing ideas around based on what TS said; I don't necessarily agree with all of those thoughts, I was just spewing some shit.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."

Edit: ^
Quote by lambofgod127

If they want to raise attention, they would have done it about serious matters, not something that there is no proof it actually exists, just a couple of videos of sob stories. It is the Iraq war all over again, connect the dots yourself

I have, and your friend seems to be just another one of those pedantic conspiracy theory douchebags. I hope he hasn't spent a lot of his time strolling through the internet looking up info on the subject, 'cos I really don't see how this is any different from believing our governments are all hiding captured UFO's and frozen aliens inside some military bunkers...

Joseph Kony ain't Santa Clause man, I remember watching a short docu on the subject back when I was a kid. They were interviewing a bunch of boys who had been beaten or even mutilated for refusing to join the man. There's no reason to believe he's dead and the premise that this isn't a serious matter or that "there's no proof it actually exists" is just a pile of bullcrap. If your friend had done some actual research instead of strolling through some conspiracy forums he would know that there are actually some doubts as to Kony's whereabouts (he probably hasn't been in Uganda for years) or the magnitude of his army (some have suggested the number of soliders in his army are somewhere in the hundreds, rather than the 30.000 people often mention)

Questioning one nation's motives for foreign intervention is always necessary, especially since there's so many other crimes against humanity taking place all over the world, so when we do invade a country there's always more to it. But a military intervention in Uganda is actually old news by now: the Obama administration authorized sending about 100 armed troops over there, back in OCTOBER. I dunno about the people of Uganda, but personally I'd find it pretty insulting if someone suggested that 100 soldiers is really all you need to hold my nation hostage and usurp its resources. The only reason why the issue has gained such a buzz as of lately is because of a recent documentary. The guy who made it was trying to raise awareness and more importantly public support for some more serious action on the behalf of the US government

So the US government isn't the one that created this sudden "urgency to do something", that came from the documentary, the people who made it and a bunch of celebrities speaking out in their support. Now I don't want to get in these conspiracist's shoes but if I were them my theory would go something along the lines of "and guess who secretly commissioned the documentary? That's right: OBAMA!!!"

...for which I'd have no proof whatsoever, and by the way the organization behind the docu has been trying to raise awareness for this subject since 2004, which would make this plan a premeditated effort launched by the Bush administration

And coming back to that docu I watched when I was a kid (which must've been pretty shocking stuff 'cos I still remember about half of it): this guy has been recruiting child soldiers since 1986, and if you believe there's something fishy about that fact as well you're basically saying that the US has started spreading bogus stories about some fictitious figure over 25 years ago, just so they could take Uganda's oil in 2012 (might wanna add some of that "and by the way, that's when the world's gonna end" stuff just to spice it up a bit!)

Sorry, but there's a difference between expressing your concerns over the possible motives behind a military intervention (one larger than the one we have right now that is) and just shouting out stuff that's so out there you're basically undercutting your own cause

Because the minute I read stuff like "we don't even know if this dude even exists" I'm like

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Mar 9, 2012,
Wouldn't call it conspiracy as much as a one sided campaign who neglects the warcrimes the sitting government and it's allies are doing in the same country.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by shwilly
I have, and your friend seems to be just another one of those pedantic conspiracy theory douchebags.

Easy there, his opinion may be half-baked but he's still my friend. And he has a right to question a country's motives for foreign interference, no matter how far fetched his conclusion is try to view it objectively.

Now in the video, the speaker for IC (Invisible Children) said himself (or I think it was someone being interviewed, can't remember) that the government won't interfere unless there was major public interest, which led me to believe that if they do interfere it will be a matter of Obama farming more votes. That's my justification for it, not that Obama's office commissioned the documentary; but because there is a national (and international) interest rate they decided to do it. Hence, not entirely self-less (which I don't really care about as long as the end result is for the good of Uganda, but that's a different thread).
I'm sure it's not a conspiracy. I just think it's completely stupid how people get all socially motivated in this stuff. Like honestly, out of all the ****ed up shit in the world, you think this is the worst? He says he's the worst criminal in the world. You can't start making comparisons like that.

What about Viktor Bout? Without him, I can almost guarantee you that Kony would have probably 10x the trouble of just obtaining weapons.

What about General Butt Naked? Who murder tons of people, who would eat babies' hearts while they were still beating? And who is now apparently ''a changed man'' and free from any punishment.

What about every other warlord/druglord that ever existed/exists that most likely has done the same things/much worse things.

It would be more logical to just invade Africa and hunt down every single one of these drug lords, war lords, corrupt political leaders and religious extremists. But instead this guy was picked out of a hat and now everyone buys into the swarm mentality. Good intentions and all, but a little too simplistic to be effective, and also really mundane to take the ''let's use social media and young people to change the world!!'' route. Just by doing that, the cheese got even cheesier. I'm talkin' like month old Brie sitting in a glass jar in the sun cheesiness.
It's still impressive how big the movement has become. If only it was for a better cause.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.