It's a subgenre I really want to get into, but I have no idea where to start. What are some good bands and songs for someone who is new to doom metal? Thanks for reading
Quote by tume
Anything from Swallow the Sun

no.

1. Go to the Metal Recommendation Thread stickied at the top of the metal forum.
2. Alternatively, go to Doom Metal Thread that's greater and heavier than this forum's mums all put together.
3. But if people that ask this question of recommendation relentlessly are too busy to read, then:

Reverend Bizarre - II: Crush the Insects album
Warning - Watching From a Distance album.
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
St Vitus - Born too Late (actually, I don't care what St Vitus you listen to as long as you do it)
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
and umm, I unno,...
Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium

(Edit - if you want something heavier and more death metal oriented, then
Paradise Lost - Gothic
Winter - Into Darkness
Dream Death - s/t)

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Mar 9, 2012,
First essential doom album has to be Electric Wizard - Dopethrone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps

Also get Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjegQRRk_I

BE warned though, If you're not used to listening to songs longer than 5 minutes, it's going to take some time to adjust, but boy is it worth it.

*Edit

Saint Vitus and Candlemass are terrific shouts - DO THAT FIRST as this is where all modern doom derives
Last edited by syzeh at Mar 9, 2012,
Listen to the 2 posts above me, as they are quite correct - but do use the recommendation thread in future.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.