It's actually Eb not D#.. I know same thing but when it comes to writing it out you don't have two Ds in a scale... and It's most likely C harmonic Minor

Edit: Which consists of C D Eb F G Ab B
Last edited by JNBloomy at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by JNBloomy
It's actually Eb not D#.. I know same thing but when it comes to writing it out you don't have two Ds in a scale... and It's most likely C harmonic Minor

oh i didnt know that, thanks
Quote by JNBloomy

Edit: Which consists of C D Eb F G Ab B

where can you find what notes are in what scale? i cant find it anywhere on google. and isnt the key the first note it starts? my riff start with a D but its in key of C harmonic minor?
you need to learn some music theory if it starts on D it could be the D Locrian mode which is the C harmonic minor scale but starting on the D instead of C, it contains all the same notes as the C harmonic minor just starting on a different note
Quote by holywins183
it doesnt seem to fit anywere. the key of C has them all exept for the D#

Then give it a minor tonality (Eb) et voila! You have your C harmonic minor right there.
Are these all individual notes or are they chords? When I see it written like that it implies they're all major chords to me
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Are these all individual notes or are they chords? When I see it written like that it implies they're all major chords to me

they are notes sorry, but i already have an awnser now, its C minor melodic
A scale is build off notes. With those notes you can make enharmonical chords.

Givin' this example I would be C Eb G (C minor) and IV would be F Ab C (F minor).

-edit- oh, it's a reply to the OP, didnt get that

And @ TS: it's harmonic minor, not melodic minor. Could be though if there's an A.
Last edited by deHufter at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by holywins183
they are notes sorry, but i already have an awnser now, its C minor melodic

4 single notes isn't "in" anything...there's no way to know how those notes will function without a lot more information, there needs to be a context.

Unless you can show us what those notes are being played over then there's not going to be a key, nor is it worth worring about because arbitrariily finding something that happens to contain those 4 notes isn't going to tell you anything.

As it stands, all you have there is 4 random notes, there's nothing more you can say about them and nothing more that needs to be said until you start building a bigger picture.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The key of C can totally have D# in it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
The key of C can totally have D# in it.

Dingdingdingdingding!

You often can't evaluate a key just by listing the notes in that key. Eb is a *common* note used in C major. You see the Eb major chord used fairly frequently (the bIII isn't as common as the bVII, but it's still around a lot).

If you want to know what key you are in, listen for the resolution of the melody or the progression.
Quote by HotspurJr

You often can't evaluate a key just by listing the notes in a scale.
Fixed.

Eb is a *common* note used in C major. You see the Eb major chord used fairly frequently (the bIII isn't as common as the bVII, but it's still around a lot).
While Eb is a possibility as well, I specifically meant D#

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JNBloomy
if it starts on D it could be the D Locrian mode which is the C harmonic minor scale

Quote by JNBloomy
apologies D Locrian #6 would be the scale

Quote by IfellFromHeaven
Couldnt it also be involved with e harmonic minor ?

E harmonic minor doesn't have a D in it. Also the question is about keys, and there's only two broad genres, minor and major. Harmonic minor is the name associated to a scale which employs accidentals to the minor.

However as pointed out above, the correct answer is ANY key. The notes can be used in any key without further information.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud