Hello UG Community, I know how friendly you guys are on here and your help before has been muchly appreciated. If you have spare time, could you quickly answer my 7 question survey on Offensive comedy for my dissertation. Lots of appreciation TIG.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D27ZJCD
Last edited by TIGBandit at Mar 9, 2012,
Done.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
I don't think you know what dissertation means.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
I didn't feel the questions gave me options representative of my opinions on the matter.

For example racist or discriminatory remarks might offend me, but only if i felt the comedian believed them or was representing his point of view. I am perfectly comfortable with racist jokes if they are simply jokes.

Essentially: I think your quiz lacks any mention of context which makes it very hard to answer these questions.

EDIT: Similarly I wouldn't be offended by the mere utterance of any of those words on the word list, however would be by some if used as normal and acceptable terms for the groups referred to.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Mar 9, 2012,
Dissertation as in for a doctorate? Or do you mean a thesis for a Bachelor or Master's degree?

Done by the way.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Dissertation as in for a doctorate? Or do you mean a thesis for a Bachelor or Master's degree?

Done by the way.

Isn't it the other way around?

I have plenty of friends doing dissertations for bachelors, but nobody's doing a thesis.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Every dissertation needs a good ol' tl;dr at the end IMO.

Thank you very much for taking time out it is very much appreciated. In answer to questions, I'm doing a ba honours degree studying animation, every person that I know of whether its a bsc or a bEd are doing a dissertation, its my understanding that a thesis is a post graduate thing, however I may be wrong.

My dissertation title is “Knock knock ****** - An in-depth article exploring the boundaries of offensive comedy, its effects, and its transition through culture and time.” Obviously the opening of the title is meant satirically.

@MadClownDisease, I completely understand why you had difficulty answering my survey, something that has becoming the back bone of my dissertation. Comedy is very subjective, and there are many different reasons on why sometimes we laugh at bad taste, and sometimes it's offensive. To create a survey completely open to the topics subjectivity would also make the survey impossible to quantify. For example, time is a factor when it comes to offense. If we take example of the holocaust, some people would outright say that it is a horrible thing to joke about, I'm sure that number would be even greater in 1945, yet throughout time there are comedians out there joking about this subject. But I completely understand and agree with your comments.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Isn't it the other way around?

I have plenty of friends doing dissertations for bachelors, but nobody's doing a thesis.

Wikipedia says a dissertation usually is for a doctorate. I'm also writing a bachelorthesis according to my university. So... . It isn't wrong I guess to call it a dissertation if you're doing a bachelor, but ,like in this thread, it is frowned upon.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wikipedia says a dissertation usually is for a doctorate. I'm also writing a bachelorthesis according to my university. So... . It isn't wrong I guess to call it a dissertation if you're doing a bachelor, but ,like in this thread, it is frowned upon.

ha ha, my apologies.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Every dissertation needs a good ol' tl;dr at the end IMO.

It has one in the beginning though: it's called an abstract.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
The hidden word in my dissertation title is the anagram of ginger for anyone interested/ Tim Minchin fans.
Quote by TIGBandit
My dissertation title is “Knock knock ****** - An in-depth article exploring the boundaries of offensive comedy, its effects, and its transition through culture and time.

That cracked me up. Well played.
Quite an interesting topic.

I'll elaborate on my answers.

Personally, I don't find any swear words offensive. Of course, that depends on the context, but as words on their own they are not offensive.

The racial slurs however are offensive, even though none apply to me. If I was with someone who repeatedly referred to blacks as ******s for example, I would ask him why he is doing that.

I might have missed something, but in your poll you had a bunch of racial slurs and then "Jew". Jew isn't a racial slur.

HOWEVER.

If a comedian is telling a joke, and the punchline happens to be that it is racist, then if you find it funny there's no reason you shouldn't laugh.

What it comes down to IMO is you have the words being used in the context of racism, hate, stereotyping etc which I think is wrong, but using the same words for comedy or entertainment I don't think is an issue, and some people are a little oversensitive.
Quote by TIGBandit
The hidden word in my dissertation title is the anagram of ginger for anyone interested/ Tim Minchin fans.

Surely you can come up with something funnier that is offensive. I'm not funny at all though, so I can't help you.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Surely you can come up with something funnier that is offensive. I'm not funny at all though, so I can't help you.

I understand your point, however my whole aim here was not to be funny, but to to test offense.
Quote by Random3
Quite an interesting topic.

I'll elaborate on my answers.

Personally, I don't find any swear words offensive. Of course, that depends on the context, but as words on their own they are not offensive.

The racial slurs however are offensive, even though none apply to me. If I was with someone who repeatedly referred to blacks as ******s for example, I would ask him why he is doing that.

I might have missed something, but in your poll you had a bunch of racial slurs and then "Jew". Jew isn't a racial slur.

HOWEVER.

If a comedian is telling a joke, and the punchline happens to be that it is racist, then if you find it funny there's no reason you shouldn't laugh.

What it comes down to IMO is you have the words being used in the context of racism, hate, stereotyping etc which I think is wrong, but using the same words for comedy or entertainment I don't think is an issue, and some people are a little oversensitive.

In answer to your response, I understand that jew is not a racial slur, but it is a anti-semetic slur, one that people do get offended by, and the results are coming up within my survey.

I completely agree with you opinions, is down to the underlying contexts. If I were to give my opinion, I find most of Jimmy Carr's jokes funny, because I understand the set up of the joke, and understand that his material isn't based on discriminatory values, more on the fact, it is just a joke.

On the other hand, personally, though some may not agree, I find it difficult to tolerate Jim Davidson, as I believe that the core reasons behind his jokes are racist and discriminatory. The point is down to context. Point well made, thank you. It's really helpful and interesting to hear your views. Keep them coming
Quote by TIGBandit
I understand your point, however my whole aim here was not to be funny, but to to test offense.

OK, it certainly has balls though as this is an official document.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TIGBandit
My dissertation title is “Knock knock ****** - An in-depth article exploring the boundaries of offensive comedy, its effects, and its transition through culture and time.” Obviously the opening of the title is meant satirically.

@MadClownDisease, I completely understand why you had difficulty answering my survey, something that has becoming the back bone of my dissertation. Comedy is very subjective, and there are many different reasons on why sometimes we laugh at bad taste, and sometimes it's offensive. To create a survey completely open to the topics subjectivity would also make the survey impossible to quantify. For example, time is a factor when it comes to offense. If we take example of the holocaust, some people would outright say that it is a horrible thing to joke about, I'm sure that number would be even greater in 1945, yet throughout time there are comedians out there joking about this subject. But I completely understand and agree with your comments.

Hahah good work on the ballsy title. And pretty relevant too, I guess if anyone says "you can't call it that, that's offensive!" you can just say "yeah thinking that or not is exactly what this dissertation is about".

Aye of course it is difficult to make a quantifiable survey that gives all opinions a look in (even trying to make the most broad survey possible I imagine your questions would still represent the point you're trying to argue for/examine), though I feel that focusing on the terms and subject matter themselves rather than the context is something that will very much weaken your study, as I'd say (and it seems you would too from what you say about Jim Davidson) that intent and context is the most important thing on offense really.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Hahah good work on the ballsy title. And pretty relevant too, I guess if anyone says "you can't call it that, that's offensive!" you can just say "yeah thinking that or not is exactly what this dissertation is about".

Aye of course it is difficult to make a quantifiable survey that gives all opinions a look in (even trying to make the most broad survey possible I imagine your questions would still represent the point you're trying to argue for/examine), though I feel that focusing on the terms and subject matter themselves rather than the context is something that will very much weaken your study, as I'd say (and it seems you would too from what you say about Jim Davidson) that intent and context is the most important thing on offense really.

Haha thanks, that was my intentions completely. People who judge it as offensive before reading into it a bit more are the people I feel would probably benefit from my study the most.

Very true, this survey is only going to be a small percentage of my dissertation, and to focus on the point you've already highlighted would weaken my study. My dissertation branches off in many directions, looking at culture and differing perspectives, the psychology of humour, an in depth analysis of the Life of Brian, reasons behind the controversy, plus many more. I think that the matter will always be down to a personal belief system, making it impossible to rule any comedy off limits.

I've written the last paragraph to my dissertation and the last line is quote which reads, “They can't say I stepped over the line – they drew the line.” I'm probably one of the only students I know who's enjoying their dissertation, I think it's a really interesting subject area.
Quote by TIGBandit
Haha thanks, that was my intentions completely. People who judge it as offensive before reading into it a bit more are the people I feel would probably benefit from my study the most.

Very true, this survey is only going to be a small percentage of my dissertation, and to focus on the point you've already highlighted would weaken my study. My dissertation branches off in many directions, looking at culture and differing perspectives, the psychology of humour, an in depth analysis of the Life of Brian, reasons behind the controversy, plus many more. I think that the matter will always be down to a personal belief system, making it impossible to rule any comedy off limits.

I've written the last paragraph to my dissertation and the last line is quote which reads, “They can't say I stepped over the line – they drew the line.” I'm probably one of the only students I know who's enjoying their dissertation, I think it's a really interesting subject area.

It's a really strange subject for your thesis though. But hey, if it adds to science it adds to science. I hope I will keep enjoying mine.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Most of these kind of things are much longer Filled it in though, good luck man
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Pro tip for dissertation writing: don't collect data with a self-selected sample bias.

Also the questions on it are very difficult to answer accurately because context is everything with regards to comedy.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
You've only given the option of saying that entire subjects offend us. I think most reasonable people would take context into account, rather than being offended the moment a subject is brought up.

I don't know what to put for question 3. I'm not going to say that no comedy would ever offend me, but it'd take more than "jokes about" or "discussion of".

I might have a problem with comedy that genuinely says racist/sexist/homophobic things, once all the irony has been stripped away. Most modern "offensive" humour is ironic though. Or says reasonable, unoffensive things but with swear words.

EDIT: Maybe a better survey would be to show us some clips, and ask us whether we were offended and why?
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 9, 2012,
Thanks once again guys, really appreciating all the comments and your time, got over 500 people answering the survey, better than expected. I am thoroughly aware how difficult it is to answer the survey as pointed out context is everything. Once again I stress the fact it's very difficult to form a survey that takes context into account whilst being able to getting quantitative data. But allowing open discussions on the forum really helps me get qualitative research that really does help to my dissertation, some ideas that I may quote.

I've try to be as make sure that I am proportionally representative as possible, i.e. not just posting it to facebook and leaving it at that. I have posted this on many sites/forums, and I am able to track where people have linked from. I have an idea of going into the city centre and asking these questions to the public, but apart from that, that's all I can do for trying to eliminate the problem of self-selecting bias. But thanks @Iantheman

@Whale pudding I really like that idea of a clip. It's something to look into, though the problem is down to time. My friend is doing a survey with a clip, and has found that people are less willing to fill his in, because "they can't be arsed".

I'm looking to add in a comment box, plus an extra question about context, as I think it is important.
i voted dont get offended ever.
if its a joke, im not gonna take offense, especially if its not aimed at me. unless they make fun of skinny tall, pony tailed, guitar playing, straight, awesome white males
their is no such thing as offensive comedy, only bad jokes
nice survey do
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
I have nothing to add, but I'm going to say that this is one of the most enjoyable surveys I've done thus far.

None would offend me. Its all the best type of comedy. Especially racist and religious jokes.