I changed strings upside down on my acoustic, so I that I can practice left handed too (don't ask me why, I am an idiot, and people usually do not understand why am I doing many things that I maybe should not to). The question is : can I crew up my guitar ? or is it ok to stay this way for some time? And can i learn to play left handed easier, considering that I will (of course!) continue practicing right handed too, and that i spend many hours practicing normaly (right handed)?
My question is, why put all that effort into playing left handed with you are right handed? I am a lefty and have flipped an acoustic. If you do it properly your probably gona **** it up for right handed play, as you have to reverse the saddle and the nut. Your gona have to get the nut out of there is going to be constant turning problems. Not worth the time if you can play right handed.
TS, first of all, no I don't think it will screw up your guitar if you set it up correctly BUT if you are right handed never forget that the right hand is the more precice one and it is for that reason it is the picking hand. The picking motion (or the fingerpicking motion for that matter) needs to be extremely precice much more so than the fretting hand. I know that some left handed musicians play right handed but it is only because left handed instruments are often more rare (rarer?? English is not my primary language).
I can play comfortably right handed. I'm not a beginner, and I know that it's a ( big ) waste of time. But I'm not really trying to do everything that I can do right handed ( I'm not gonna learn sweeping left handed.. I would be idiotic). I was just sooo bored today, and wanted to remind myself how hard was when I first picked up a guitar
'more rare' is good man, you're english is good. And I dont see it messing up your guitar at all, I just dont really see the point in it haha
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by kimi_page
I reversed saddle, but nut is glued, so I left it as it was

I think you're more likely to do long-term damage to the guitar at the nut than the saddle.

The issue is the nut slots. If you widen them to accommodate the non-reversal, they'll be too wide for the thinner strings when you flip it back to normal. If you don't widen them, will the strings fit in them properly without binding?
To quote Goku when he was attacked by Frieza right after helping him,
You fool.

The net result is you won't improve playing right handed as much as you could have, so that you can go from not being able to play left handed to being God awful at playing left handed via ruining a guitar.

SuperWeirdoUG, My Sister and my Friend are left handed but play right handed. It's pretty weird, it's just what is natural to them.
Quote by sk8board3r
'more rare' is good man, you're english is good.

first of all, it's "rarer". typically, monosyllabic adjectives get the '-er', where longer adjectives just get 'more' tacked on. e.g. - "rarer", "colder", "closer", but "more interesting", "more boring", "more fluid".

do i need to point out the second thing wrong here?

dude, just buy a cheap left-handed guitar...
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Really ? 'often more rare' seems to flow a lot better as opposed to rarer
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by sk8board3r
Really ? 'often more rare' seems to flow a lot better as opposed to rarer

sorry, no. it's "rarer". "they are often rarer."
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
+1 to AeolianWolf's English skills, +1 to buy a cheap left handed guitar.

I'm a left hander and have in the past sought ambidextrosity, I borrowed a friends guitar and practised for a while and was thinking of buying myself a cheap righty (but didn't - I dont practice enough already without dividing my practice time). I wanted to do it partially to learn how to learn the guitar - going back to step one would remind me what it's like to be a beginner again, and I was beginning to teach guitar at the time so that was a useful thing to understand.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by HotspurJr
I think you're more likely to do long-term damage to the guitar at the nut than the saddle.

1. The issue is the nut slots. If you widen them to accommodate the non-reversal, they'll be too wide for the thinner strings when you flip it back to normal. If you don't widen them, will the strings fit in them properly without binding?
Most of the time, when you string the guitar "backward", the bass strings just lay on top of the nut, since they won't fit in the higher string grooves.

2. If an acoustic guitar saddle is, "compensated", flipping it around won't work. You should have a lefty saddle.

3. While LH acoustic guitar may be, "rarer", (I guessing that's the syntax we've settled on), they're far from actually being rare. Adirondack Guitar has a multitude of LH offerings: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm Banjos, Dobros, you name it.

4. That said, I think the whole premise of this thread trends a bit toward silliness. But, if the TS has some extra cash laying around, then go with a left handed guitar, or don't bother.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 9, 2012,
After a half hour of practicing left handed, I set my strings normaly again, and got a different view of guitar playing. All the frustration I got from not being able to pass certain speed with metronome is almost gone. I should be thankfull to the progress I've made so far considering that while I was trying to play oposite way (left handed) I remembered the time when i first started to play and how hard that was, the time when I couldn't play the barre chords, the time when I couldn't play even simple three string sweep arpeggio, the time when I was strugling with pentatonics, the time when i couldn't play a shit, the time when I was absolute beginner.