Okay, so the aforementioned guitar seems to have a couple problems obstensibly related to wiring that I want to fix.

1. The bridge pickup, a P-90, when first switched to, loses most of it's treble and volume, as if the volume pot has been turned down. It's like this for about 4-5 seconds until I start hammering on the strings then it comes back full caliber. It intermittently switches between these two states. Neck P90 is fine.

2. The guitar has a crazy hum when distortion is engaged. Now I realize this is somewhat normal for P90's, but when I touch a metal contract on the guitar with my flesh (such as the 3 way switch mount), the hum greatly decreases. This would lead me to believe that I can do something inside of the guitar to fix some of the hum. I assume this is a grounding/shielding issue?

Now, seeing that I'm fairly new to wiring and such, would someone suggest to me the general steps I should take to troubleshoot/rectify these two problems?

Thanks!
Sounds like the ground connection or perhaps the switch contact is bad. Grab a soldering iron and re-flow the ground, volume pot, tone pot, and selector switch connections for the bridge pickup. You might as well re-do the master ground wire to the bridge and the star ground on the volume pot (are they still doing it that way?).

If that doesn't fix the problem you may need to take a closer look at the pickup selector
Quote by Roc8995
Sounds like the ground connection or perhaps the switch contact is bad. Grab a soldering iron and re-flow the ground, volume pot, tone pot, and selector switch connections for the bridge pickup. You might as well re-do the master ground wire to the bridge and the star ground on the volume pot (are they still doing it that way?).

If that doesn't fix the problem you may need to take a closer look at the pickup selector

So basically just re-solder all connections? Sounds easy enough.
Yes, that's the first step for most wiring problems. I'd especially check the ground wire coming off the bridge. If you've got a multimeter with a continuity tester, check to see that the bridge and the ground wire have a solid connection.

A good way to test is to re-flow the contacts with the guitar plugged in. You should be able to hear the changes in noise and buzzing as you fix the solder joints. If you touch a ground contact with your hand and it doesn't stop the buzzing, it's not grounded properly.