I've got a Suhr riot and I'm contemplating getting an OD pedal to complement it. However is an Overdrive just a cleaned up distortion and can I get a similar effect just turning the distortion knob down on the Suhr??
Not usually no, the waveforms tend to be different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, have you tried it? It would probably sound different, but you might get away with it
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Chargrill3d
I've got a Suhr riot and I'm contemplating getting an OD pedal to complement it. However is an Overdrive just a cleaned up distortion and can I get a similar effect just turning the distortion knob down on the Suhr??
Distortion tends to have a more disjointed sound to it which makes it sound more "wall-of-sound" with more complex chords. Overdrives are a bit more like what you would expect from a cranked tube (hence overdrive). So no, not really - although some pedals might yield different results, can't you test this yourself?

As steven seagull mentioned before me, they will have different wave form shapes.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by steven seagull
Not usually no, the waveforms tend to be different.

this is the most direct answer to your question that you are going to get.

with the volume on a distortion pedal turned up and the gain turned down a lot you can sometimes use a distortion pedal as a boost in front of a tube amp much like you probably would with an overdrive pedal, but it's a completely different sound.

some people seem to think that overdrive and distortion pedals actually function differently but they don't, they just alter the waveform in a different way which lends itself to a different type of sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
This pedal may clean up okay. Just try like around 11 o' clock with bridge pickup to brighten the tone and it should work. Suhrs are versitile little pedals. Usually I use the overdrive on my amp (AC15) and use a Distortion pedal when I need to.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
It wont sound like an OD, but that doesnt meant it cant sound good.

+1

generally, an od runs the clipping diodes in a feedback loop around the op-amp, whereas a distortion runs the clipping diodes to ground (as the riot does). So turning down will get you less distortion, but it normally doesn't sound or feel like an OD, either.

that being the case it might sound good, and could easily be close enough for rock n' roll.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's all about the wave forms, and Dave Mc hit it right on the head!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The whole waveform thing is really interesting - and pretty much killed any more questions I have. The Suhr Riot is a brilliant pedal but it's not getting that OD sound I'm looking for so I'm going to get either an OCD Fulltone or a Suhr Shiba
It's a Blackstar HT5 - for a small wattage amp you can get some suprisingly killer sounds out of it
not sure it's a wise choice spending $$$ on boutique pedals when you have an ht5. that's the wrong way round to do it, if you ask me. you can get pretty great pedals for cheap nowadays with the likes of joyo, tonerider, etc. which often are clones of those boutique pedals.

also the ocd is more like a distortion. though the mosfet clippers make it clip more softly. regardless, to my ears it's sorta in-between an od and a dist.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the problem is I only need it for recording and even a 5W amp is too loud for home use - with the volume at 12 o'clock you can hear it outside. So I had to compromise - ideally I would have got at least a 2x12 or something but the neighbours would have been round sticking my head through the cab!!!

With regard to the pedals it's still definitely worth getting quality ones - for example there's no comparison to the recorded sound I was getting between the Boss MD2 and the Suhr Riot and chuck in the Diamond Compressor and the sound is way better.

You can have a listen hear, sounds pretty good for a 5 Watter!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Chargrill3d/music/all/play1093103
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Mar 11, 2012,
yeah that's fair enough (regarding the volume). However, i'd say you don't have to spend tons of money on a pedal to get good ones, now- I have an MD2 and i agree, it's not great. But my joyos cost less than one, and sound better, for example. If you get a pedal which has a decent circuit it's going to sound pretty good. if it doesn't, it won't. Almost regardless of the cost. Granted, the dearer ones might use better parts and be made better (though not always).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Or they could be the cheaper pedals just repainted, eh Dave.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'm using a Digitech Bad Monkey as an OD it works for me, even though with the amount of gain I used crossed over with my Razorback and the output of the Dimebucker I get feedback country though.

BM's good for volume though, not so much for colouring tone.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Or they could be the cheaper pedals just repainted, eh Dave.

hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?