Hi, I'm completely new to guitars and everything to do with them, but I've decided to buy a Digitech Death Metal pedal. Is it designed to change a clean guitar signal to metal?

When I press the pedal on the clean mode, it sounds awful, and I've tried loads of settings on the pedal.

My amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 15.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by stykerwolf
ditch the amp and pedal, sorry bro but those two do not make for good tone

seconded.
get the metal muff theres three of them they all sound better than the digitechs. or the digitech df 7 but they are a little more pricey.
press ctrl + w
+1 to what the guys said above about your setup. IF you still want to get a distortion pedal then look into the Hardwire TL2
ok, but I've bought it now, surely the pedal will turn the clean tone into a metal sound though?
Since you are a beginner I have to ask, what are the settings on the amp? With all metal pedals there is no cleaning them up, but if you shut it off the signal should be clean. As a rule of thumb all digitech pedal pre hardwire including the rp series are horrible. Stay away from the mt-2 as well, the guy who said metal muff got it right.
Quote by sjm95
out of interest, why does my amp vary from this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnD6jtXqw0

wait...what?
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by sjm95
Hi, I'm completely new to guitars and everything to do with them, but I've decided to buy a Digitech Death Metal pedal. Is it designed to change a clean guitar signal to metal?

When I press the pedal on the clean mode, it sounds awful, and I've tried loads of settings on the pedal.

My amp is a Line 6 Spider IV 15.

Thanks in advance!

I have the same pedal and amp. I use the crunch setting on the amp and turn the drive to zero. It works perfectly.
i mean i guess the easiest answer is because....you don't have that rig. i mean i don't think i fully understand what you are asking anymore
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I really am a beginner, I only got my first guitar a few weeks ago, and I know that that guy has a massive stack etc. I was just wondering the technical differences for why it doesn't work with my modeling amp.

At the end of the day, I shouldn't have bought that pedal!
You shouldn't have bought the amp really a crush amp or a cube would take this pedal. If you want a real pedal go with a muff.
Hold up.

How are you connecting the pedal? From what i understand, the pedal doesn't do anything at all for you? Does it have a fresh battery/a power supply?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
On the clean channel, the pedal makes some really horrible version of distortion, and it clearly isn't supposed to sound like this. It has a power supply, and the red light is activated when the pedal is pressed.
just use the insane setting right?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What are your settings on the amp, and settings on the pedal? Describe exactly how you have everything set up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Pedal: Level 11 o'clock, Low 11 o'clock, Mid 9 o'clock, High 1 o'clock

Amp: Clean channel, volume 9 o'clock

The main reason I want it is to be able play certain songs that require both clean and heavy tones, it appears that this isn't the way to do it though.
It should work. Where did you get the pedal from? Digitech pedals are somewhat notorious for being cheap - it could actually be broken.

What is the EQ on your amp? And are you running a cable from your guitar into the input of the pedal, and another cable from the output of the pedal to the input of the amp?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Do you have fx loop? that would be nice. Btw I'd rather get a shitty transitor amp with fx loop and a processor, instead of shitty processing amp and shitty pedal together
(sorry for my slow replies) I'm running a cable from my guitar into the input of the pedal, and another cable from the output of the pedal to the input of the amp.
Ok, so, when the pedal is on, is the sound ok?

Or is it when it's off that it sounds horrible?

If it sounds bad when it's on, but sounds all right off, it could be a broken pedal.

If it's the other way around, I have no idea.