http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_-W36goLzc&feature=related

A video of Alex Hutchings performing a song. Anyways, the trick I want to learn is a trick he uses pretty frequently. Go to 1:34 till 1:36. That noise is so awesome.

From what I can see, it's janking/pulling the whammy up a bit for a brief moment. I don't know if its my amp settings, my guitar or my whammy bar but I just can't get it to last longer that a millisecond. I have an ESP Horizon FRII with an Floyd Rose, and when I play a note and pull the bridge up a little, I do hear that 'alien' nose for a moment, but it almost immidiatley stops and goes back to sounding 'normal'.

So, is it the guitar, amp settings, my bridge, the way I play the note??? Please give tips people. Thank you.
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
It's a double locking trem. all he is doing is pulling it back to raise the pitch instead of pushing it down to lower the pitch
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Lespauljames
I think it's called gargling, basically flicking the bar, if you rotat the bar so it's away from you, then whack it with your thumb, and it should vibrate a bit. I apologise, my explanation is poor.,
http://www.guitarscholar.co.uk/p/whammybar.php

This.

Basically all you do is flick the bar a bit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, like I said, I AM getting that gargling sound. It's just that this gargling sounds dies after a millisecond, but Alex's gargles sound as long as he wants...
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
First off it's called a flutter and second, all you do is flick the bar. All I can say, is practice makes perfect. There's nothing special about how or what he does, it's just he's obviously practiced it.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by bartnijman
Well, like I said, I AM getting that gargling sound. It's just that this gargling sounds dies after a millisecond, but Alex's gargles sound as long as he wants...

Watch the middle finger of his pick hand closely. He flicks the bar for every note he hits.
Quote by Count Orlok
First off it's called a flutter and second, all you do is flick the bar. All I can say, is practice makes perfect. There's nothing special about how or what he does, it's just he's obviously practiced it.

It's also called a gargle....

TS, if it's dying quicky I'm guessing you're using a vintage style trem with fairly heavy spring tension. The combination of high tension and the trem having no recess to allow it to move both ways means it's basically NOT going to produce those sounds - really need a floating trem with low tension to be able to pull them off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
It's also called a gargle....

TS, if it's dying quicky I'm guessing you're using a vintage style trem with fairly heavy spring tension. The combination of high tension and the trem having no recess to allow it to move both ways means it's basically NOT going to produce those sounds - really need a floating trem with low tension to be able to pull them off.

Very much worth emphasizing all this stuff about tension: I know that Alex in fact uses 8 gauge strings so everything on his guitar is pretty low tension, if you're using 9s or heavier in standard then your whole setup is just too tense to allow for that kind of free movement.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
having a decent trem actually helps a load, too. I've never really been able to get substandard trems to gargle/flutter all that well. and a floyd normally gargles better than a vintage style trem (not that he's getting a ton of flutter there, you could do that on a wilky, maybe even a strat-style trem).

just pull up on it a bit and release it

another way of doing it and making it sound like that, which you may prefer, is turn the bar round so it points towards the bottom strap button on your guitar, and whack it. You might find that a little easier than the way he's doing it. (if you leave it the way it is and whack it, you'll also get flutter, but the pitch will go down instead of up, which is what you want if you want it to sound like alex).

EDIT: watched a bit more of the vid. Apparently gurning way more than is healthy will help, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
having a decent trem actually helps a load, too. I've never really been able to get substandard trems to gargle/flutter all that well. and a floyd normally gargles better than a vintage style trem (not that he's getting a ton of flutter there, you could do that on a wilky, maybe even a strat-style trem).

just pull up on it a bit and release it

another way of doing it and making it sound like that, which you may prefer, is turn the bar round so it points towards the bottom strap button on your guitar, and whack it. You might find that a little easier than the way he's doing it. (if you leave it the way it is and whack it, you'll also get flutter, but the pitch will go down instead of up, which is what you want if you want it to sound like alex).

EDIT: watched a bit more of the vid. Apparently gurning way more than is healthy will help, too.

+1

The JT580 on my 4 year old Jackson is noticeably stiffer and clunkier than the Lo Pro Edge on my 20 year old RG.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ yeah the jt580s i've tried always felt really clunky (only tried them in the shop, though). yet loads of people say they're one of the best licensed trems.

and yeah i have a kramer trem which is very clunky like that, and my lo-trs is a bit better (though doesn't stay in tune as well) but still nowhere near a good trem.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?