Hi all.

I currently have a Harley Benton G212 Vintage with 2 60W Celestion V30s in.

I am buying a Marshall 1960AV with 4 70W Celestion G12s.

What I want to do is swap the 2 V30s into the 412 and put 2 of the G12s into the 212.

Can I do this even though the speakers are of different wattages?
The speaker that are inside the 1960V are V30's specaly made for marshall...
Sound like already broken in V30...minor differencies...
wattage doesn't matter...
Ohms do...
Last edited by blackie13 at Mar 9, 2012,
Wattage does in fact matter. Just make sure the sum of (the lowest) wattage exceeds your amp's wattage.

Example: 50w+50w=100w
Example2: 50w+100w=100w
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Wattage does in fact matter. Just make sure the sum of (the lowest) wattage exceeds your amp's wattage.

Example: 50w+50w=100w
Example2: 50w+100w=100w

Huh? Since when does 50w+100w=100w? I'm sorry to sound mean, I just think you may have meant to say 150w. Unless I am wrong, which tends to happen. Anyways, as long as the ohmage(incorrect spelling?) of the two speakers is equal and the watts on your amp don't exceed the watts of the lowest wattage speaker you should be fine. So I basically just repeated what the two people before me said. Hmm
^ no, he's precisely right. the way most speaker cabs are wired, the power is split evenly between the two speakers. So if you have a 100 watt amp, 50 watts goes to each speaker. that means if you have a 2x12 loaded with one 75 watt speaker and one 25 watt speaker, the 25 watt speaker will blow, even though you'd think that adding 75 + 25 would equal 100 watts.

it gets more complicated if you use different cabs, too. for example if you link two cabs, the power will be split evenly between the two, so if you have one 4x12 and one 1x12, half the power will be going to the speaker in the 1x12, so it needs to be pretty highly rated.

regarding the original question- it'll be fine if it has enough wattage to cope with the head you're using with it (which it probably will). but as i said in your other thread, i'm not sure there's a whole heap of point to the whole scheme. you're kinda doing it for the sake of it, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
regarding the original question- it'll be fine if it has enough wattage to cope with the head you're using with it (which it probably will). but as i said in your other thread, i'm not sure there's a whole heap of point to the whole scheme. you're kinda doing it for the sake of it, i think.

Well if the G12s are the same as V30s then yeah I wont, I assumed the V30s were better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ no, he's precisely right. the way most speaker cabs are wired, the power is split evenly between the two speakers. So if you have a 100 watt amp, 50 watts goes to each speaker. that means if you have a 2x12 loaded with one 75 watt speaker and one 25 watt speaker, the 25 watt speaker will blow, even though you'd think that adding 75 + 25 would equal 100 watts.

it gets more complicated if you use different cabs, too. for example if you link two cabs, the power will be split evenly between the two, so if you have one 4x12 and one 1x12, half the power will be going to the speaker in the 1x12, so it needs to be pretty highly rated.

Oh ok, I seem to have misunderstood. Thanks for setting me straight!
^ no problem

Quote by Random3
Well if the G12s are the same as V30s then yeah I wont, I assumed the V30s were better.

i have strong suspicion they're the same. or at least very, very similar (if the marshall ones are indeed rated at 70w). of course, the person you're buying from may indeed have swapped the speakers, but i'd consider it unlikely. if he knew enough to be swapping speakers, he'd probably know that several celestion models are called g12, so you need to be less ambiguous than that. of course, stranger things have happened and he might just have made a mistake, so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only 70w G12s I know of are the G12m-70s. Which, to be honest, are terrible speakers. I think though that these aren't they but rather a higher wattage V30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/guitar/amps-and-cabs/marshall-1960av-

Here's a link to a site with these speakers. Says they are G12 Vintage 70W.

Doesn't matter now anyway, we have established that the speakers in the 1960AV are V30s or duplicates, so I won't be doing any swapping.
X pattern them so when you run it on the 16 ohm input both speakers are in both series paths. It will balance them out better. An X pattern of V30's and G12T75's sounds very nice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
X pattern them so when you run it on the 16 ohm input both speakers are in both series paths. It will balance them out better. An X pattern of V30's and G12T75's sounds very nice.

So they are not the same then?

This is starting to confuse me.
The 1960AV doesn't have G12T75's it has Marshall's version of V30's, that's what the V stands for. The G12T75's are in the 1960A.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification