So my band and I have been thinking of possibably getting another guitarist. As of now we are just a three-person band (I play bass, my friend drums, and my other friend plays guitar and sings.) We've been a serious band since August of last year. We've written a good amount of songs (around 8 or 9, not including ones we wrote and then got rid of), played a couple shows, and are gradually progressing overall as a band. Our music is mostly punk with a lot of ska and 90s grunge along with some songs that I guess is most easily described by "alternitive rock".

So a few things that make us consider getting a second guitarist. First, with another guitarist, it would open up the ability to write more lead parts, solos, and so forth. We also would like to have another person to help us with our weakest part of songwriting: lyrics. Its not that our singer is bad at writing lyrics, it is more that he is somewhat OCD about them. There is one song in particullar that has been re-written at least three or four times since January. And we like the fact that with another person, they typically will have connections we have to get more shows or know more people to get to like our music.

However only about a quarter of what we play would benefit from having two guitars because the music we have written as of now isn't really geared towards it. (With only one guitar at the time, we didn't write parts with multiple guitars in mind.) However we could pretty easily write music better for two guitars in the future. Its just that we don't have it for what we have now.

Also we don't have like a list of people we know who would want to audition. We are in the south-eastern part of Connecticut which isn't super easy to find people. We all know a lot of people who go to our school who are talented musicians, but they all play in other bands and we wouldn't want to have someone who isn't fully commited to our band. Its hard to find people who like this type of music (everyone likes hardcore for some reason at my school), plays guitar well, has giggable equitment, and is easy to work with.

There is a friend of ours who plays guitar, basically likes similar music, writes a TON of lyrics and songs, and has all of the equitment that could be used in shows. He would also be more than willing (he has even asked before), and could make practice whenever we could. However, he is pretty meh (as in: I play guitar better and bass is my primary instument, not to be a dick), and he is really egotistical. He really tries to be political however, and we aren't a punk band that has a "message", we just like to write fun music. He is also a conrol-freak which would really mess up the balance we have in the band.

What I mean by that is that the three of us have our own roles. The guitarist and I write the music (excluding drums), lyrics, and search for shows and network, and the drummer does the drum parts and does most of the electronic stuff like internet stuff and recording mostly. We also apparently have really good practices, too. We get a lot of stuff done in the time we practice (about two hours twice a week), and a lot of it is because we schedule what we are going to do in a practice so we have a plan. So we have a really good, consistant thing going. Adding someone who is really controling would mess that up.

We practice enough for a high school band that has the amount of events we have now. It depends on the idividual, but adding a fourth member with a new schedule could make it so we don't practice as much which would be quite a hindrence. This is why if we were to add another guitarist, the guy I mentioned earlier would be good for this.

Another thing is that the three of us have been best friends for a pretty long time, with or without music. We aren't only connected because we play instruments, like a lot of bands are. We have fun and work really well together, so having one person that is only a friend because they are in the band would probably hurt our progress. The guy I mentioned earlier is a friend (not a best friend), but that really is that we have music in common not too much else.

tl;dr : Currently a three piece punk-ska-grunge band looking to possibably add another guitarist. Know someone but isn't that good and is a control-freak. Worried adding another person could mess up the way we work really well together now because the three of us are best friends even without music for a really long time.

So, I'm just looking for advice of what you would do in the situation. Any experiances or tips about having two guitars would be greatly appreciated. Especially those who have once been a three piece band who added another.

Thanks in advance!
Let him join, put him on rhythm guitar, and keep rocking!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I would say no. Keep the chemistry you have and as long os you have a bass, the guitarist can solo. Tons of bands only have one guitarist and can play great solos.
Quote by arnolddrummer
I would say no. Keep the chemistry you have and as long os you have a bass, the guitarist can solo. Tons of bands only have one guitarist and can play great solos.

A lot of the reason we would be thinking about getting another guitarist isn't just the soloing, a lot of it is because we want more ideas for music and songwriting, as well as having another opinion for decisions we make.
Don't get a second guitarist just cause, take the time to find someone who would fit you guys well and have what you're looking for and share the same goals. If he doesn't fit all the criteria you're looking for, don't have him join the band. And don't choose a guitarist just cause he's a bandmate's best friend.

For the issue of what to do on songs that only need one guitar, you have two options: your new guy can come up with parts to spice up the arrangement, or your vocalist will put down the guitar during those songs while your new guitarist plays.
I wouldn't recommend getting a second guitarist if one of the main reasons is to have them as a songwriter. Having a second guitarist is going to change the sound, format, and chemistry of your band and songs. This is gonna be alot more of a change than just new material.

I'd recommend spending more time writing, and trying to experiment more if new material is what you're really looking for
Quote by Acousticified J
I wouldn't recommend getting a second guitarist if one of the main reasons is to have them as a songwriter. Having a second guitarist is going to change the sound, format, and chemistry of your band and songs. This is gonna be alot more of a change than just new material.

I'd recommend spending more time writing, and trying to experiment more if new material is what you're really looking for

Have to agree with this. Experiment with some delays and use looping.

And from personal experience, after playing in a band as the sole guitarist, trying a band with two guitarists just sucked. Maybe a little egotistical, but once you've had the stage to your own as the sole guitarist and then all of a sudden you have to cope and share with another...well it sucks. Jamming is one thing, playing show is another, to each their own of course, I just can't stand it now and would never want to be in a band and have to share the same stage unless each others roles were very very defined.
Well if you bring in two guitarists, make it clear what roles they play. Which one is the lead and which one plays rhythm? Or are both of them going to switch off?

But for OP, don't rush it. If/when you need a second guitarist, you'll all know. You'll want him not just for songwriting but to add a missing part to the band if there is one.
Quote by scguitarking927
Have to agree with this. Experiment with some delays and use looping.

And from personal experience, after playing in a band as the sole guitarist, trying a band with two guitarists just sucked. Maybe a little egotistical, but once you've had the stage to your own as the sole guitarist and then all of a sudden you have to cope and share with another...well it sucks. Jamming is one thing, playing show is another, to each their own of course, I just can't stand it now and would never want to be in a band and have to share the same stage unless each others roles were very very defined.

I've lived this myself. The more people you have in a band the tougher it is to make decisions. When our band broke up and reformed last year we ended up with a different bass player and only me on guitar. As a result, the entire project is now streamlined, focused, and has been very satisfying for all.

I'm not trying to sound egotistical either. But depending on the skill of a 2nd guitarist, it either challenges you to a new level, or you spend your time dumbing things down and slowing up your progress and development. Of course, all of this can be overcome with the right amount of desire for improvement. But in my experience, more does not always equal better.

I like using a looper occasionally to cover rhythm during solos, but other than that, the bass will do fine holding things together while guitar player adds his salt & pepper onto the meat & potatoes.
Quote by You Ruined It
Well if you bring in two guitarists, make it clear what roles they play. Which one is the lead and which one plays rhythm? Or are both of them going to switch off?

But for OP, don't rush it. If/when you need a second guitarist, you'll all know. You'll want him not just for songwriting but to add a missing part to the band if there is one.

If we did get a second guitarist, it would really depend on who it is whether they play lead or rhythm. But once that was figured out the role would be defined.
Quote by cheapr2keepr
I'm not trying to sound egotistical either. But depending on the skill of a 2nd guitarist, it either challenges you to a new level, or you spend your time dumbing things down and slowing up your progress and development. Of course, all of this can be overcome with the right amount of desire for improvement. But in my experience, more does not always equal better.

That is what I'm concerned the most about. If they aren't at the level we are at now, I don't want us to be slowed by this other person. And even if they are at the "right" level, wouldn't it still slow down our current process of songwriting? Just adding a fourth part to write would take more time. Especially because with our current system, we write a lot of stuff but don't actually end up using some of it.

We're not rushing for another guitarist. We basically bring someone to practice, jam a little and see if it works out. So far, we really haven't gotten someone that really "clicks". We also don't want to bring someone in, have them spend money on getting equitment that they can use in shows (everyone only has a small 10-watt practice amp), and then after a couple shows or a few months have them leave the band. We really don't want to force people into getting things they'd be stuck with if it didn't work out.
ok man, if they spend money, its their problem.

you have ten watts, he should upgrade anyway, and ultimately its his choice.

ask them to jam with you guys, then, find the best suited to you guiys.

then, ask them to learn material, play a gig, and then think about making him a permanent member.

its happened with me, i had to jam with people for three months before i got recognised.