I've been playing guitar for many years, and my current amp is a Line 6 spider III 150w halfstack. I am tired of the digital sound of this amp, and though it has worked very well in my gigging history I want the sound quality of a tube amp.
My current budget (it includes selling the spider) is around 800 US dlls so I have been researching and the best option I've come across so far is a Blackstar 60 HT Venue.
I have a band with a very loud drummer and we gig very often (.. We play alt. rock, sometimes with more heavy stuff and soloing, I use a lot of cleans,delays, reverbs, etc.. I like to play blues also.. I need a versatile amp.
I will be using an M13 Stompbox modeler to replace all the fx on the spider

My question is, is this amp the best option for my needs? (If you have any suggestion on another tube amp around $800 it would be welcome)
Well, that amp is pretty perfect for the price, but I'd also take a look at other blackstar amps though, that amp can offer you all you want. But just a little booster overdrive pedal would be nice.

Well actually that model is just great for you.
Last edited by cemges at Mar 9, 2012,
Which other blackstar amps would that be? :0 The half stacks are great options also but they cost more :/
Thanks
I'd look for a head cabinet one, like ht small rack, but well the one you mentioned seems the best choice now.
That sounds like a good choice for you.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Blackstar makes great high gain amps, and it will sound infinitely bette rthan the line 6
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I wasn't impressed by the HT40 I tried out, not sure how much of a difference there is between that and the HT60. There is also a lot of talk about the blackstar HT series being hybrids, so be aware of that!

Are you willing to buy used? You can get a pretty good used tube combo for that price.
Quote by zl1288
I wasn't impressed by the HT40 I tried out, not sure how much of a difference there is between that and the HT60. There is also a lot of talk about the blackstar HT series being hybrids, so be aware of that!

Are you willing to buy used? You can get a pretty good used tube combo for that price.

I would be willing, but the only problem is that I've had awful experiences when it comes to buying used gear.
Where can I check for more options? I don't really know much about tube amps
well the blackstar is hybrid, as far as i'm aware, as zl said. so if you really want something that's all-tube you'd probably be better looking elsewhere. if you like the sound of it, it doesn't matter, but go in with your eyes open.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you post some clips of guitar tones you are looking for I'll throw some suggestions your way. Just from your op though, it seems like a Vox ac30 would suit you pretty well. I'm sure you could pick one up for around 800 used. It isn't a high gain amp though, so if that's a priority the ac30 wouldn't be the amp for you.
Quote by zl1288
If you post some clips of guitar tones you are looking for I'll throw some suggestions your way. Just from your op though, it seems like a Vox ac30 would suit you pretty well. I'm sure you could pick one up for around 800 used. It isn't a high gain amp though, so if that's a priority the ac30 wouldn't be the amp for you.

Well, it's not a priority, but some good distortions wouldn't be bad to have for soloing and rythm..
The Vox Custom AC30C2 30W 2x12 is 800 bucks.. has anyone tried it? Does it have an effects loop?
Last edited by Shad11 at Mar 9, 2012,
I don't think the C2 has a effects loop... or maybe that was the handwired version.
C2 does according to: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-custom-ac30c2-30w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

they are nice amps, but if you have played the higher end model the C2 would leave you disappointed. at least it did me, but by $800 standards for a 2x12" it is good for the money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Can you give more info on specifically what kind of tones you want? What bands sound similar to what you want to play?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could do sooo much better than the HT series.

Is this budget including a cabinet or do you simply plan on replacing the speakers in your Spider cab?

I gotta through out the 2 channel Mesa Dual Rec. If you like variety, it kicks ass. Loose bottom though.

Then there is the Peavey XXX. Again, kicks versatility in the ass, but it is a bit tighter and brighter than the Dual Rec.

Um... they aren't Blackstar. Sorry.

You live in the US, and simply don't sleep well? Or are you an Aussie?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Wisthekiller
They Blackstar, though hybrids (and not very reliant on tubes actually) are not bad. They are NOT good for cleans though, to be honest. For crunch, they are a great cost-efficient awesome.

I don't know the technicalities behind it, but I think that despite having many solid state compartments, the amp DOES rely on the tubes. The preamp and power distortions are reliant on how hot the tubes are; the amp CAN be pushed.

For 800, you won't get anything better than Blackstar HT amps, IMO.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Blackstar advertised as all tube, but have solid state parts. So they lied, so everyone hates. I have played a good bit of blackstar ht and they werent bad, they just werent my cup of tea. If your really going for that all tube sound, I wouldnt reccomend it, but if you like it, go for it man. Newer company, but the only bad I have heard about them is that they are hybrid. Its prolly out of your budget, but if your just looking for a head, I would try Egnater Rebel or Vengance and save up a few more pennies. I own a tweaker myself, but its not really suited for metal. But tweaker is versatile as hell and if you get a pedal I bet you could pull off a metal deal.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
The main issue I have with the HT series is that you CANT take it out. It's such a simple thing that probably even I could take it out and have a true all-tube amp, but.... it's there. Right in the beginning. Pushing it already.
i'm not a fan of Blackstar amps at all, but I noticed that everybody is talking about the HT series, they have that Artisan series as well. I remember seeing a vid for the Artisan 100 amp and I ended up hating it by the end of the video. They are a british company mind you...they have 4 channels on it, one is an old plexi, one is a new plexi, one is a fender twin, and one is a fender bassman. I laughed at the two fender channels, not even close, like...at all. I wasn't too convinced with the old plexi setting either.

I mean this post makes it look like I'm telling you not to get the amp, but i just wasn't a fan of it, doesn't mean someone else won't be. But unlike the HT series i'm pretty sure the artisan is all tube
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I really, really like the blackstar series one line.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Well the sound I'm going for is some John Mayer blues tones, perhaps explosions in the sky cleans.. opeth distortions (for the soloing) and some good Thrice crunch tones (vheissu, beggars, alchemy index stuff) for rythm and such.. I know it's kind of much to ask for in an amp but basically is what I would like
I decided to save up a little more money.. Would the Vox AC30 be a good choice for what I'm looking for?
Thanks.
I live in Mexico btw, that's why I can't really go to a store and try out many amps.. all they have here is Line 6 and a lot of solid state amps... or overpriced marshalls..
Quote by cliff_em_all
I really, really like the blackstar series one line.

the series one is really average, the only one i like is the S1-200 but at £1200 its like a fair bit more than a JVM410 and i think the JVM has more to offer tbh and sounds as good (i love the reverb on it for some reason)

end of the story is that for that money you can pick up used Mesa's and ENGLs tho so i would never consider either of them.

TS, the HT series is mediocre at best. what bands do you want to try and get the sound of because otherwise we're walking blind here not knowing what you actually want
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
you won't get all those out of one amp, it won't realistically happen. the ac30 wouldn't be a bad choice but the problem is it's not a high gain amp, you'll have to rely on pedals to get you there and even still you won't get the exact sound you want. it goes without saying, if you want to sound like something...then buy it, there's no such thing as one amp that can do all these great things and still be a boss amp. some guys might flag me for saying that but they know its true, the common saying is to get pretty close...if you can live with pretty close then thats great, it's a better way to live rather than being crazy about gear.

marshall could do all of those except mayer, mayer is american tone all day, and mesas can't get that tone thats all fender. i think you should do some more research for yourself because whats gonna happen is a bunch of people on this site will start throwing amps at you and tell you how great THEY think they are, and thats fine, but you want a very specific end with your amp.

good luck
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Get a Randall RM 50 and get the Blackface module and the Tredplate/XTC module for your distortion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You ever think of... getting TWO amps, eventually, and making a sacrifice in one of your tones, for now, so eventually you can have it perfect all across the board?

I mean.... your going to want a cranked-to-10 small wattage amp, for your blues rock etc, then you need CLEAN cleans and high-gain. That's two guitar amps, right?
@gerraguitar Apparently you've never heard of the Road King.

TS, you're not going to get very close to covering all that in your budget, unfortunately. You can take the Vypyr Tube option and save the rest of the money for something a lot more expensive, or you can get something and compromise - maybe a Marshall DSL or a Laney VH (assuming you can find one. I saw a VH100 head for $700 on craigs list recently, but they seem to be pretty rare).

There's also the always relevant Peavey JSX, if you can find one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
@gerraguitar Apparently you've never heard of the Road King.

TS, you're not going to get very close to covering all that in your budget, unfortunately. You can take the Vypyr Tube option and save the rest of the money for something a lot more expensive, or you can get something and compromise - maybe a Marshall DSL or a Laney VH (assuming you can find one. I saw a VH100 head for $700 on craigs list recently, but they seem to be pretty rare).

There's also the always relevant Peavey JSX, if you can find one.

Good advice. The Vyper is lacking in dynamics but will certainly pull the tones if that isn't something you want out of an amp (although if you are wanting tube I'd say it should be, that's where they excel most). The rest of this post gets a big thumbs up from me. Of course you could also add a XXX or Ultra to the JSX too; essentially the same things.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification