Hi everyone, after years of sticking to my guns and never selling my gear I have decided to sell all of my amps so that I can buy one really nice amp to stay at home and record with. I will have around $2,000 after coming down on prices to sell my gear so I'm hoping that'll be enough to buy a really nice 2x12 or head/cab.

I mostly play post rock like Dredg and also do thrash/metal like Megadeth so that is what the amp is 90% going to be used for. The other 10% is for what the amp is capable of - by capable I mean that it can kind of do it already but needs a little help from pedals. That would be any of the "core" metal genres like grindcore/hardcore etc. The reason being that this will be a studio amp only and most of the bands I'll be recording do heavier metal than what I play on my own but their amps usually suck. Mostly because they don't take care of them to begin with or because they bought a really nice head but skimped on the cab so their cabs sound horrible.

While I've been looking into amps I've been thinking about going Orange because of their ability to do post rock, decent sound for non modern gain type restoration, and the speakers in the amps sound really nice. I've also been hearing a lot of good things about the Carvin V3 in regards to its different types of distortion but haven't heard anything about their clean channel.

As I said above, I won't be playing live so 100watts isn't really necessary but I wouldn't be opposed to it because I love the feeling of air moving the speakers. I am hoping for more around 50/60watts. Only tube suggestions please. Onboard effects aren't necessary since I'll only be using it for recording and I apply them later. At least 2 channels. Preferably a combo but a half stack is fine as long as I don't go over $2,000 for both head and a cab.

I appreciate any suggestions

EDIT: I've been taking a look into the amps shown in these videos as well. Found them the other day and the recording quality is excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T78frZcT5sU&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSyNOHpCPM&feature=relmfu
Last edited by vjferrara at Mar 9, 2012,
if you are using the amp solely for recording I've always thought that 2x12 cabs are a bit better, they don't get as much boom from the bass end and tube mics with the pre amps get along nicely with 2x12. Just personal taste.

Look for a used jcm800 and pair it with an orange 2x12 cab, I see/hear that setup EVERYWHERE for so many styles. As far as helping the amp reach other territories, the jcm800 can get pretty gainy, and for when you want it to go further just throw an OD in front. I'm a Tubescreamer fan but there are millions of them, they will bring that amp into where you want it
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Look into a Mesa Roadster, or a Peavey JSX. The Roadster is more versatile, but the JSX has very good tone, for quite a bit less.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You might be able to find a used Splawn QuickRod with a 2x12 cab for $2k or under. It absolutely nails the Rust In Peace tone in its highest gain stages. It can get anywhere from cranked-Plexi ACDC gain up to thrash metal and brootz levels of gain, mostly without a boost or OD. And the cleans are quite nice. The deathcore guys might prefer a 6505 or Dual Rec, but the QR can definitely handle the extreme styles, just with a Marshall voicing rather than an American one.

Splawn also makes a combo version of the QR, I think it's called the Street Rod. Might check that out too.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
check out Jet City amps, I've heard nothing but great things, and you'll save some cash as opposed to other brands. Another is blackstar. The carvins are a great brand that gets no publicity, but your distortion needs are kind of vague. The V3 would be my suggestion, and if 100 watts is too much, go for the V3 Micro. It uses 4 EL-84s and pumps out 50 watts, but is switchable down to 15 or 7.5 I think. Good luck.
Quote by Wisthekiller
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeV5GJ4-FzM Carvin V3 clean sounds pretty good (though the recording quality lacks)

Thanks! That's better than I expected it to be. Could you recommend a cab to go with it?

Quote by gerraguitar
if you are using the amp solely for recording I've always thought that 2x12 cabs are a bit better, they don't get as much boom from the bass end and tube mics with the pre amps get along nicely with 2x12. Just personal taste.

Look for a used jcm800 and pair it with an orange 2x12 cab, I see/hear that setup EVERYWHERE for so many styles. As far as helping the amp reach other territories, the jcm800 can get pretty gainy, and for when you want it to go further just throw an OD in front. I'm a Tubescreamer fan but there are millions of them, they will bring that amp into where you want it

I do like the JCM800. I never considered going with an Orange cab as a good pair. I know that the guy from Dredg plays live with a JCM800 and a 1960A cab live. Not sure what he records with though. I never was happy with the distortion I was getting out of my JCM2000. I always felt that it should've been better than what it was. It did get the 80's thrash tone out of it but even with OD's and Distortion pedals in front of it I never could get heavier than that. Could've been the cab I had too though.

Quote by Offworld92
Look into a Mesa Roadster, or a Peavey JSX. The Roadster is more versatile, but the JSX has very good tone, for quite a bit less.

I've never played the JSX series but I've had bad results with Peavey before so the thought kind of scares me. The Roadster was something I definitely looked into though. Do you know of any bands/artists - other than Satch - that use the JSX?

Quote by BCKRedBaron
You might be able to find a used Splawn QuickRod with a 2x12 cab for $2k or under. It absolutely nails the Rust In Peace tone in its highest gain stages. It can get anywhere from cranked-Plexi ACDC gain up to thrash metal and brootz levels of gain, mostly without a boost or OD. And the cleans are quite nice. The deathcore guys might prefer a 6505 or Dual Rec, but the QR can definitely handle the extreme styles, just with a Marshall voicing rather than an American one.
Splawn also makes a combo version of the QR, I think it's called the Street Rod. Might check that out too.

I've never heard of Splawn before. Do you know of any bands/artists that use them? I'll definitely check them out

Quote by jhart08
check out Jet City amps, I've heard nothing but great things, and you'll save some cash as opposed to other brands. Another is blackstar. The carvins are a great brand that gets no publicity, but your distortion needs are kind of vague. The V3 would be my suggestion, and if 100 watts is too much, go for the V3 Micro. It uses 4 EL-84s and pumps out 50 watts, but is switchable down to 15 or 7.5 I think. Good luck.

I've always thought of Jet City as kind of cheap. I've never looked into them before but I definitely will now. Any suggestions as to which amps to look into as far as Jet City and Blackstar go?
Last edited by vjferrara at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Wisthekiller
For a cab to go with the V3, just go with the matching cab from Carvin. They're pretty damn good from what I can tell.

Good deal. I will definitely look into that. I've always heard that Carvin cabs sounded great but the only one I've ever played on is 20 years old and has been beat to hell!

Anyone have any thoughts on the Orange Rockverb/Dark Terror, Engl Fireball/Blackmore/Savage, Framus Cobra, or Marshall JVM?

I'm not OPPOSED to going used but it wouldn't be my first choice because spending this much on one thing that will be used quite a lot for a LONG time, I need to be sure that it will be reliable. Trusting a used amp kind of scares me

Again, I appreciate all of you throwing comments and suggestions out there
Quote by vjferrara
I've never heard of Splawn before. Do you know of any bands/artists that use them? I'll definitely check them out.

I know Killswitch Engage uses/used them recently. Times of Grace, which is Adam D (KsE guitarist) and Jesse Leach (former/current KsE vocalist), their album sounds a lot like it was done on a Splawn, though of course there's no telling what else they used in studio. Apparently Godsmack has used them as well. You can go to the Splawn website www.splawnguitars.com and check out the artist page. There's quite a few people on that list.

Basically Splawns are souped-up and better-built Marshall copies.

EDIT: And I can +1 to the Carvin Cab suggestion if you want a 4x12. I have a Legacy cab w/V30s, and it's a dang good cab.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Mar 9, 2012,
Splawn Street Rod 2x12? It's pretty much a Quick Rod... or so I've heard.
There's nothing cheap about jet city man...made in China, yes, but a guy by the name of Mike Soldano hand specified the transformers, selected the internal components by hand and designed the circuits. The JCA 100 is essentially a cheaper SLO 100, and honestly I hear no quality difference in sound when playing the two clips. Check out either the JCA 50 head or the JCA 100HDM, which is 100/50 selectable with a resonance control added in. However given your "metal" situation, I would recommend the V3 micro like I stated above. It can go from crunch to super saturation with a great, crisp clean channel.
Quote by vjferrara

I've never played the JSX series but I've had bad results with Peavey before so the thought kind of scares me. The Roadster was something I definitely looked into though. Do you know of any bands/artists - other than Satch - that use the JSX?

I'm not sure who uses them. I did a quick search and it looks like Dragonforce and BFMV have used them at some point or other. But there's a ton of videos on youtube, and each one sounds different - kind of a testimony to how versatile it is, IMO. And the two different inputs (low and high gain) are two totally different ballgames. Sorry I couldn't give more convincing evidence. But definitely try it out if you ever get the opportunity.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not sure who uses them. I did a quick search and it looks like Dragonforce and BFMV have used them at some point or other. But there's a ton of videos on youtube, and each one sounds different - kind of a testimony to how versatile it is, IMO. And the two different inputs (low and high gain) are two totally different ballgames. Sorry I couldn't give more convincing evidence. But definitely try it out if you ever get the opportunity.

Will do! I'll also be giving the EVH 5150iii a shot too. I had all but cut the 5150 out of the running but I've heard some pretty awesome testimonials about how good it has become since EVH took it from Peavey
+1 to the Splawn and 5150III
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If this thread is dead I shall let it die in peace. Thanks to everyone that participated and gave suggestions! I learned a lot about different amps as a result of this so whatever I do end up getting I will go in with knowledge that I didn't have beforehand. Be sure to keep this thread in the back of your mind though. Whatever I end up with I will be sure to upload a variety of sound clips so that all of you can judge for yourselves.
Splawn Quick Rod.

If you had more money I'd be going for this though:
http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/brigand/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
Splawn Quick Rod.

If you had more money I'd be going for this though:
http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/brigand/

Holy crap thank you for this! Dude is based in Nashville so he's not that far from me at all. I might bring future amps to him to mod out if I can't afford his amps.
He's a regular here at UG too. His username is CECAmps. Great guy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Fantastic guy. I had him build me a custom variant of one of his amps - can't speak highly enough of him or his work. I wish I lived close enough to him to use him as an amp tech and try all of his other models

Splawns would be a fantastic choice as well though.