What's the second best? China, Korea, Japan?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
What's the second best? China, Korea, Japan?

Japan, and they are not second best. I will argue that they are just as good as American made guitars.
depends on the manufacturer at the end of the day. could be japan, the UK, germany, canada, australia... anywhere really

anywhere that guitars are made by skilled craftsmen, rather than mass produced stuff, will give you better guitars. the location matters far less than the methods of production.

that being said, some places, due to the type of labor laws present (or lack thereof) are prone to producing lower quality instruments: china, korea and indonesia usually fall into this category
poland has great guitars, germany, japan of course. i'm am pretty sure, that the US isn't better than any of these.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Huh, thanks everyone.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by krehzeekid
depends on the manufacturer at the end of the day. could be japan, the UK, germany, canada, australia... anywhere really

anywhere that guitars are made by skilled craftsmen, rather than mass produced stuff, will give you better guitars. the location matters far less than the methods of production.

that being said, some places, due to the type of labor laws present (or lack thereof) are prone to producing lower quality instruments: china, korea and indonesia usually fall into this category

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mordor
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Where its made doesn't matter. Its how that counts.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by sonnyrocker
Japan, and they are not second best. I will argue that they are just as good as American made guitars.

I'm in that camp. Japan makes some great stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by krehzeekid

+1
I have wanted to play a Maton for years, but there was literaly 2 shops in the entire US that carried them. I have seen very nice guitars from Italy, UK, Germany, Canada, Brazil, Japan. It really doesn't matter if the builder is top notch. I'm sure there is are few Chinese luthiers that can make Guitars on the level of Gibson, PRS, ect.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
mate, the best place that makes guitars is new zealand.

ashcustomworks.co.nz

seriously, insane guitars.
I'd have to vote Japanese guitars in my opinion because they make the best guitars based on craftsmanship. The guitar fretboard is flawless, and the hardware is built to last.
PS My Fender Jaguar is actually made in Japan. :-)
Like everyone else said, how it's made is more important. For instance, Vigier guitars are made in France.
Quote by JKHC
Mordor

Nice
Fender Contemporary Stratocaster, MIJ, SSS pups, white, maple neck
ESP M-100FM, dark red, flamed maple
Crate V33 212 Tube Combo (O'l reliable)

And various effects used for inter-dimensional space travel
Germany, United Kingdom make great crafted guitars. US and Japan arguably make best mass produced guitars.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Most of the time, Japan > America > Korea > Indonesia > Vietnam > China.

It varies a bit on brand too, for instance, an American Jackson is obviously better than a Japanese Jackson. But they're the only company I know of (besides Fender, which is ditto) that produces in both Japan and America. So those would be the exceptions.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JKHC
Mordor

Is that from Lord of The Rings?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Factory stuff: China, Indonesia and India are the current bottom-of-the-barrel, though they are getting better. Korea has become really quite good. Japan and america are on-par as far as I'm concerned.

Custom Shop/hand made stuff: anywhere. My personal picks, based on the (albeit limited) selection of custom shop and other hand made (or at least hand fitted and finished) guitars I've played, are Japan, then Poland, then the UK, then America, then Germany. This doesn't mean much though; with these high-end instruments it really depends on what kind of build you're looking for and which specific builder you go to.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Gibson Custom> American Custom = Japanese Custom= UK Custom >Local Hand Made Shops> Korea Custom > Indonesia Custom >China

Gibson Custom is another thing. Well there are local custom shops everywhere, making perfect guitars. Also I've heard of some good brands in swiss.

For Standard series, America> Japan>Korea > Indonesia>China
Last edited by cemges at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Gibson Custom> American Custom = Japanese Custom= UK Custom >Local Hand Made Shops> Korea Custom > Indonesia Custom >China

Gibson Custom is another thing. Well there are local custom shops everywhere, making perfect guitars. Also I've heard of some good brands in swiss.

For Standard series, America> Japan>Korea > Indonesia>China

Where did you come up with that list from? Because Gibson Custom is far from the best I can think of a few companys off-hand that their non custom shop stuff is lightyears above them. Suhr,PRS,Musicman,G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JKHC
Mordor

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Japanese made guitars are generally really nice, as good if not better than the American ones. Pretty much any place is good, other than China, Indonesia, or something like that.
My two Japanese made guitars are both awesome in construction and sound quality. No rough fret edges, good hardware, and they just feel like they are well made. My Korean guitar is also made really well, it feels quality and has held up over time. My Chinese Epiphone isn't bad either. It feels just as solid as my Korean made guitar, but the frets are a bit cleaner near the fretboard edge. On the Korean guitar, you can feel the fret edges slightly, but on the Epi, there is hardly anything if you run your fingers up the edges. So I'd give Japan the edge in overseas builds, with Korea and China coming in behind that, depending on what exactly you get.

From experience though, American instruments just have that extra build quality that puts them ahead of most overseas guitars. Some Japanese made guitars are great, but American guitars have always held that special detail in both construction and sound quality you don't often find on imports. Still, Japan makes some fine guitars, usually a slight bit cheaper than the American instruments. So dollar for dollar, it'd be close call between high end Japan and high end American.