I figured this would make more sense in the bandleading forum.

My band has a gig set for April 14th. It's at our local youth center, and since we set up the date, we'd be healining it. That doesn't really mean that much since it's a small place, but we've been openers for our first two gigs, which isn't bad though.

Anyway. We're trying to contact some other bands to get on the show. Only 2 other bands would be able to play, unless their sets were really short with easy setups. We've told two potential bands about it. One of them hasn't been that active in geting back to us, but they did say they would let us know as soon as possible. The other band we'd like more since we played our last show with them, and they're great dudes. Problem is they're not sure if they'll be able to do it or not just yet.

We're a 'progressive' metalcore band, meaning we have solos and not constant breakdowns one of the bands is post-hardcore/metalcore and the other (the more preferred one) is deathcore.

If one or both of these bands are not able to play, should I start asking other non metal bands? We would all prefer to have bands that sound like us, but it doesn't matter that much to us. However, at our first gig, we played with a rock band and a classic rock cover band (filled with both friends of mine and dicks). Other than the maybe 10 people there for us, everyone else was there to see them and were giving us backhanded compliments a few days after the show.

Should we start asking other non metal bands for this gig? Also just to add, this is a youth center show, and we're sick of this place. Once we finish this we'll check out other better venues and have an easier time getting to play with similar bands.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
If I were in your situation I would have a small back catalogue of covers for situations in the future exactly like this. And since you have till mid April you could learn a few and maybe write a new song in there as well.

I've been in plenty of spots where a band has bailed last minute and left the bill short and since we had some prepared covers we could extend our set and grab the headlining spot. It's one of those things that nobody really thinks about, but the opportunity arises every so often, and if you have the material you can grab a better spot and "save the day".

Mixing metal genres with non metal genres normally doesn't go over to well. You can clear a room really quickly if the wrong group of people are there.

Try to shoot for having a minimum of one other metal band, which ever one you can get, and then continue to pursue getting one more on the bill. If you can't, you have a couple of covers you can play to extend the set and make it a little longer of a show.
We have a 9-10 song set right now anyway. If something doesn't go well and we only have two bands, hopefully the other band may be able to extend their set as well. If we need to, our guitarist and I may prepare some other instrumental songs if needed. We don't want to write too many songs and not have our set prepared though.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
We have a 9-10 song set right now anyway. If something doesn't go well and we only have two bands, hopefully the other band may be able to extend their set as well. If we need to, our guitarist and I may prepare some other instrumental songs if needed. We don't want to write too many songs and not have our set prepared though.

You'll learn quick enough not rely on anyone, especially other bands on the local circuit. And even though this a youth center gig just for future reference, venue owners and bookers will love you forever if you can go in on a night where bands have bailed and have no back ups and be able to put on a show and cover the missed set time. Be prepared for anything!!! On a few occasions I've been in a position where a band has bailed and we were asked if we would be able to double our set time and cover the missing time slot. If we didn't have a back log of covers (or eventually enough originals) we wouldn't be able to do it, and it just looks good if you can go beyond whats asked, you'll always be asked back because your helping them out in a jam, and you will have more control with how much or how you'll get paid.

What's 9-10 songs? 45 minutes?
Quote by scguitarking927
You'll learn quick enough not rely on anyone, especially other bands on the local circuit. And even though this a youth center gig just for future reference, venue owners and bookers will love you forever if you can go in on a night where bands have bailed and have no back ups and be able to put on a show and cover the missed set time. Be prepared for anything!!! On a few occasions I've been in a position where a band has bailed and we were asked if we would be able to double our set time and cover the missing time slot. If we didn't have a back log of covers (or eventually enough originals) we wouldn't be able to do it, and it just looks good if you can go beyond whats asked, you'll always be asked back because your helping them out in a jam, and you will have more control with how much or how you'll get paid.

What's 9-10 songs? 45 minutes?

Yeah, if we talked a little bit in our set, introducing songs, and maybe sharing a little story (like 2 minutes) then our set would be like 50 minutes or so. The whole thing goes usually from 7-10 with 3 bands. However that does include setup time. If only one other band could play, it would still be fine, since it would just end earlier than 10.

Being a metalcore band it's not as easy to have a plethora of covers set up but we may have an extra song done by then, and if we can fill up time, that would be great. We want to start getting gigs at different venues, that would be very beneficial to us, having plenty of songs ready. We have 7 originals prepared, potentially 8, with 2 covers. Once we have another few songs done and we have an album's worth of material (We're looking at 12) then we can work with that, and if we have some time to chat a little bit with the audience then we will definitely do that.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
hey man, if shit goes down, how good are you guys at improv?

work on that, if worse comes to worse and your good and captivating, you could to an entire set of improv.

if you're good.
Quote by You Ruined It
If you're halfway through the set and realize you're gonna have like twenty minutes of extra time, do some improv comedy or something.

Or you could fake a technical problem with an amp.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by Spaztikko
hey man, if shit goes down, how good are you guys at improv?

work on that, if worse comes to worse and your good and captivating, you could to an entire set of improv.

if you're good.

We would probably fail at that as a full band to be honest.

However, the other guitarist and I could pull something off if we needed to.

We have a few moments in songs where we could extend them while talking to the crowd which we might do. Another idea given to me by one of my friends was to prepare a short, semi epic story about something before playing a song, and then just say "So this song is called (Something completely unrelated to the entire story)"
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
hey man, idk if you've ever heard the live version of panama with sammy hagar on vocals.

i think it was for the 2007 best of... album.

basically, the whole band slows down, eddie does some shit every 20 seconds, and sammy hagar spills absolute shit of his mouth for two minutes. could do the same?
You could mix genres, but only if the other band was classic-rock-core

As long as theres a core, you're set.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
I would definitely try to get the bands (or at least one of them) that mesh more with your sound, as opposed to playing genres that mixed. Knowing the type of crowd that goes to these High School Youth Center shows, you're going to want people there who want to hear the kind of music you play
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
Quote by 91RG350
You could mix genres, but only if the other band was classic-rock-core

As long as theres a core, you're set.

I'll tell this rock/classic rock band I know to put open chugs in all of the bridges and outros to their songs.

Worst case scenario is that both of the bands bail, we get a non metalcore band on there, and everyone leaves when we come on. I'm sick of that place anyway.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day