I'd just keep on like I usually do
152 58%
I'd stop swearing or cut it down
65 25%
I don't swear in the first place [but you should try it because it's fun]
12 5%
Voters: 261.
Page 1 of 5
Today I'm at school, and I go to a music school so one of my classes in playing with a quartet.

In my quartet, there's one dude who I like and get along with. He's cool, but he's really religious and really straight edge. I mean like, you can't even talk about things like girls you find attractive or anything.

Anyways, I normally never mind religious people, but today he seemed especially self-righteous and was talking about what we should and shouldn't do, and asked us if we can't cut down on the swearing during practice. There was a pause and I just said "...K."

After he left, me and another guy in my quartet were talking, and he was like "I'm not gonna stop swearing because it bothers him. I don't want to change how I act for him." Plus it's not like we use it rudely like "F*ck you." We're just like "I have a lot of shit to do tomorrow."

Anyways, I'm just curious; If it were you guys, would you be considerate and stop your swearing (or cut it down dramatically)? Or would you keep on keepin' on and swear just like you normally do?

I personally kind of want to keep swearing just because I don't think that should bother people, especially adults, and people should just get used to it.
i agreed to a point. but if it's just over the top, i'd cut back. i have a really close friend who's also very religious. i never heard him use any profanities, yet i use them all the time around him. it doesnt bother him at all, so it seems like this guy was just being a douchenozzle.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
Really, if it's not offensive, that's an unreasonable request. If he continues to bring it up, tell him to get over it.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I wouldn't change just because someone believes in fairies and magic. Perhaps I could see their point if you were swearing excessively, but that's just crude and wouldn't be for religious purposes.

In your situation, I'd carry on as normal.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I have no reason not to swear in front of other people other than reasons for being polite, and I often do swear. But I hate being around people who use swearing so commonly where it has to be a part of every sentence they use. It's annoying and seems immature to me.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
What a prick....

Overtly religious people are all assholes...get rid of him and find someone else.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Tell him to loosen up. You're not offending him.

I know a devoutly religious teacher who goes batshit if you say 'What the hell' in front of her.
No. So long as you aren't being abusive towards somebody using them then they're no different to any other hyperbole/filler sound.

It annoys me more when people say frick or frack, or SHugar (capitals being emphasis), because then the message they're attempting to convey is the same - they're just changing the sound for no reason.

If he's offended by you swearing, tell him you're offended by the fact that his bronze-age mythology calls for the death of an inordinate number of social groups simply because they don't believe it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by sage76
What a prick....

Overtly religious people are all assholes...get rid of him and find someone else.

How?
Quote by sage76
What a prick....

I wonder who would be called the asshole in this situation.

Guy 1: "Hey guys can we cut back on the swearing?"
Guy 2: "You prick get out of my band!"
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I don't think it should bother him if you aren't using it especially vulgarly. But I would probably not swear around him because I like to keep the peace. Or start using really stupid replacements for curse words in a sarcastic manner.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Partially I think that his asking is reasonable and out of respect you should oblige, similar to how you'd want others to oblige your easily met requests. Partially I think it's like going on a diet and telling everyone else they can't eat fatty foods either...

I'm kind of undecided. In some cases you can meet people half-ways but not always.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
Quote by neidnarb11890
ITT: People still don't know anything about Straight Edge.

The term now means everyone who takes a bunch of pride and makes a fuss about abstaining. It's no longer connected to a particular music scene any more than the word "emo" is.

Every specific word that makes its way into popular usage eventually looses all nuance and specificity and turns into a general term.
I would start swearing. That ****ing pussy should ****ing mind his ****ing own ****ing bus ****ing siness. Screw him.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The question you need to answer is whether you think it's so big of a deal that it's worth potentially making the problem bigger by continuing to swear. To me, it's not. It's not like it's gonna hurt having 1 person to be verbally cautious around.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
You shouldn't feel obligated to, but you might consider it. Part of being an adult is knowing how to act in certain social circumstances, which often means holding off on the swearing unless you know the people around you won't mind. For example, you might be less likely to swear during a conversation with one of your professors, because it might seem impolite or inappropriate. You also wouldn't swear when talking to a cashier at the grocery store, a bank teller, etc. because it's not suitable in a public setting. This kind of restraint is one of the things that separates teenagers from adults. Now, you might say that an ensemble rehearsal isn't exactly a public setting, and you'd probably be right. However, the principle can still be applied in this case, because there's someone who takes offense to your use of profanity.

Again, you aren't obligated to stop swearing - no one would argue that. However, when someone is irritated by it to the point that they actually feel the need to speak up about it, the polite thing to do would probably be to simply cut back on the swearing a bit. Throw the guy a bone. Sure, he might be a bit uptight, but it isn't really hurting you to slightly alter your speech for one hour out of the day.

Or don't - whatever.
Quote by bradulator
The question you need to answer is whether you think it's so big of a deal that it's worth potentially making the problem bigger by continuing to swear. To me, it's not. It's not like it's gonna hurt having 1 person to be verbally cautious around.

Worrrrd, son.
Quote by sage76
What a prick....

Overtly anti-religious people are all assholes... we should get rid of this guy and find someone else.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
You shouldn't feel obligated to, but you might consider it. Part of being an adult is knowing how to act in certain social circumstances, which often means holding off on the swearing unless you know the people around you won't mind. For example, you might be less likely to swear during a conversation with one of your professors, because it might seem impolite or inappropriate. You also wouldn't swear when talking to a cashier at the grocery store, a bank teller, etc. because it's not suitable in a public setting. This kind of restraint is one of the things that separates teenagers from adults. Now, you might say that an ensemble rehearsal isn't exactly a public setting, and you'd probably be right. However, the principle can still be applied in this case, because there's someone who takes offense to your use of profanity.

I agree with this guy. I've told some of my friends to stop saying 'nigger' in a non joking context and they have done. I can see where he's coming from.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

Again, you aren't obligated to stop swearing - no one would argue that. However, when someone is irritated by it to the point that they actually feel the need to speak up about it, the polite thing to do would probably be to simply cut back on the swearing a bit. Throw the guy a bone. Sure, he might be a bit uptight, but it isn't really hurting you to slightly alter your speech for one hour out of the day.

Or don't - whatever.

Well put.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

Or don't - whatever.

Seriously, you should get that stick that's up your ass checked out.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
If I don't believe my behavior is doing anything to harm anyone, I don't see a reason I should change it.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by AeroRocker
Really, if it's not offensive, that's an unreasonable request. If he continues to bring it up, tell him to get over it.

This, essentially.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

Or don't - whatever.

+1

Depends, I dont swear in front of some people, like old people who wouldnt like it. Dont know how I'd react if a guy my age told me to stop though.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Neo Evil11

Seriously, you should get that stick that's up your ass checked out.

Ya...your an immature person. It may not be physically harming him and the cuss words may not be intended towards him, but its still disrespectful. Look he went about it in a polite way, show him some respect. At least make an effort to cuss less.
I try not to swear as much, because it generally makes you sound uneducated. Especially if you are using them as filler words. I still do swear though and I see nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't change one thing for the guy, his self-righteousness is far worse than any usage of profanities.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I don't think it's an unreasonable request. It's a kinda silly & prudish request from most people's point of view (mine included), but it's not worth starting shit over. I mean, if it really makes him uncomfortable, I think it's a perfectly fair request. And it's not like it's soooo difficult to not swear, unless you & yr. friends are real Neanderthal types.
Quote by AeroRocker

How is this at all an unreasonable request? He asked politely, and I mean come on, swearing, it's not like he asked him to go fix his car. The swear words bother him, so just be respectful. And mature.
I'd make the effort to cut down. Not saying I'd quit, because sometimes, those words do kind of slip out. But I'd feel kind of embarrassed when it happened.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR
douchenozzle.

I have to start using that.

OT: If it's like you said in the OP I don't see a problem with it. If someone is swearing angrily every five seconds I would probably get annoyed.

Not saying I haven't been known to let a string of profanities flow on occasion though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'd cut back a bit, because occasionally I'll have streaks where I swear far too often, and it's definitely not the most eloquent form of speech.
You contort your mouth and tongue, breathe out and make noises.
If people actually take offence to these sounds then they need to get over themselves.

Seriously, this social stigma toward "swearing" is ridiculous.
Page 1 of 5