where/how do I measure the size of the pins on an acoustic guitar? I have seen 2mm and 4mm. Is that the length? the diameter?

I have an entry level fender cd-60 and was thinking about replacing the plastic pins with tusq ones for 17 bucks.... would it make a difference in tone? or should I go nut or saddle instead?

I would really appriciate any input anyone could give me
Quote by jsspang
where/how do I measure the size of the pins on an acoustic guitar? I have seen 2mm and 4mm. Is that the length? the diameter?

I have an entry level fender cd-60 and was thinking about replacing the plastic pins with tusq ones for 17 bucks.... would it make a difference in tone? or should I go nut or saddle instead?

I would really appriciate any input anyone could give me

I have a Fender, "Sonoran SCE". I just restrung it, and it kinda looked to me as if the bridge pins were proprietary.

Sadly, many makers are changing to specialty bridge pins, to force you to buy from them. AFAIK, Ibanez, Crafter, and Fender all have specialty pins. (This just from guitar brands I own).

The Fender CD-60 is an all laminate instrument. While I'm not discouraging you from moving forward with your mods, I'm not completely convinced it will make the difference you're hoping for.

I'd say change the bridge saddle, and call it a day. The OEM top nut on my Fender is actually between 2 sections of the fretboard, and that's exactly where it's going to stay. (I just checked and the CD-60 isn't like this. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't mess with the top nut).

It's possible that your bridge pins might be standard. I'd take one to the local music store next time you change strings and match it up with replacements.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
I have a Fender, "Sonoran SCE". I just restrung it, and it kinda looked to me as if the bridge pins were proprietary.

Sadly, many makers are changing to specialty bridge pins, to force you to buy from them. AFAIK, Ibanez, Crafter, and Fender all have specialty pins. (This just from guitar brands I own).

The Fender CD-60 is an all laminate instrument. While I'm not discouraging you from moving forward with your mods, I'm not completely convinced it will make the difference you're hoping for.

I'd say change the bridge saddle, and call it a day. The OEM top nut on my Fender is actually between 2 sections of the fretboard, and that's exactly where it's going to stay. (I just checked and the CD-60 isn't like this. Nevertheless, I still wouldn't mess with the top nut).

Thanks cap'in.... I know a few 20 dollar mods wouldn't make my entry level laminate sounds like a vintage martin. But I am not looking to spend another 500-1000 dollars for a nice upgrade. I figured a few cheap mods couldnt hurt... unless they were wrong part or installed incorrectly. Thats why I wanted some info before I proceeded.

Thanks anyway
you'll probably hear more improvement by changing to different strings - be sure to give each new set time to break in before you decide on whether you like it more or less. i'd suggest dr rare phosphor bronze but i'm sure there are other strings that can improve your tone.

changing your nut and saddle would come before bridge pins, and i'd try bone rather than tusq. although i prefer tusq on some guitars, like the seagull s6, on an all laminate guitar, bone is more likely to add clarity and a little more resonance.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by stepchildusmc
the nut and saddle are the places that will help you more. thats where the strings rest.

Good advice... Actually what you said is essentially what I was thinking. Unfortunatly, I have not found a lot of upgrades for my guitar in these catagories. I could easily get a nut, but the compensated bridges are all different. I have only found compensated bridge replacements for Taylors and Martins and a few universals. Judging by looks only not all compensated bridges are a like. So forgive my ingnorance, but unless it specifies FENDER how would I know if it will work for me????
Quote by patticake
you'll probably hear more improvement by changing to different strings - be sure to give each new set time to break in before you decide on whether you like it more or less. i'd suggest dr rare phosphor bronze but i'm sure there are other strings that can improve your tone.

changing your nut and saddle would come before bridge pins, and i'd try bone rather than tusq. although i prefer tusq on some guitars, like the seagull s6, on an all laminate guitar, bone is more likely to add clarity and a little more resonance.

Nice, great advice. Im in need of new strings anyway... so I guess that should be my first plan of action and take it from there to decide what exactly it is I am looking for (i know it sounds stupid... but I am not 100% sure, but I believe ill know it when I hear it)
Most compensated saddles offset the B string only. The offset seems to be sort of universal.

That said, unless we're going to be wailing away on the way upper frets of this guitar, it may not be that critical anyway.

Here's Graphtech's saddle page: http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=1

Yes, they're Tusq. If anybody knows an outlet for prefab bone, feel free to ring in.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 9, 2012,
go with the strings as suggested by patti and maybe a new saddle. that'll help a bit. i like the cd-60 as an entry level guitar. you'll enjoy it for some time to come. i do hate fender for ruining my beloved Ovations, but oh well, i'll get over it someday.
Quote by stepchildusmc
i do hate fender for ruining my beloved Ovations, but oh well, i'll get over it someday.
Ovation's been broken for decades, without Fender's "help".
maybe so, maybe not. either way im not taking the bait cranky. fighting with you is like competing in the special olympics.... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Quote by stepchildusmc
maybe so, maybe not. either way im not taking the bait cranky. fighting with you is like competing in the special olympics.... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Feel free to stop by my profile page and leave a comment.....
Quote by patticake

I went with your advice.... I went with the DR rares.... they sound like shit. It sounds like i am playing a tin can with rubber bands. I know they need time to break in. I only have a few hours on them.... how long of a break in time can I expect??? the factory fender strings were head and shoulders better sounding then these things... I am trusting your expertiese as I am sure you have much more experience then I do (this is my first string change since purchasing the guitar).

Thank you...and i didnt meant to come off as a jerk.
Quote by jsspang
I went with your advice.... I went with the DR rares.... they sound like shit. It sounds like i am playing a tin can with rubber bands. I know they need time to break in. I only have a few hours on them.... how long of a break in time can I expect??? the factory fender strings were head and shoulders better sounding then these things... I am trusting your expertiese as I am sure you have much more experience then I do (this is my first string change since purchasing the guitar).
If you're going to publish rants like this, then people are going to stop helping you.

Quote by jsspang
Thank you...and i didnt meant to come off as a jerk.
That being said, really doesn't offset the impact of the initial rant.

Nobody here has your ears or your guitar. It's not possible to make any recommendations other than what has worked for us, on our guitars, with our ears.

Trying out different strings, and their associated costs, should be considered as, "homework" and "tuition", in your pursuit of musical knowledge.

I always recommend D'Addario EXP-16, @ about 12 bucks a set. I sure glad I didn't suggest those, then have you not like them.

Quote by francesco18
Try some rotosound set of strings, great ''piano-like'' tone, very warm sounding. The best acoustic strings I've ever used by far.
Indeed. A brand made "famous", (or possibly, "infamous"), by appearing in one of the "advertisements", on The Who's album, "The Who Sell Out"....!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
If you're going to publish rants like this, then people are going to stop helping you.

That being said, really doesn't offset the impact of the initial rant.

Nobody here has your ears or your guitar. It's not possible to make any recommendations other than what has worked for us, on our guitars, with our ears.

Trying out different strings, and their associated costs, should be considered as, "homework" and "tuition", in your pursuit of musical knowledge.

I always recommend D'Addario EXP-16, @ about 12 bucks a set. I sure glad I didn't suggest those, then have you not like them.

Indeed. A brand made "famous", (or possibly, "infamous"), by appearing in one of the "advertisements", on The Who's album, "The Who Sell Out"....!

Here is a rant... YOU ARE A DUMBASS!!!!

I asked people for advice... I took said advice.... And I 100% disagree.

Money means nothing... it was 7 bucks.

Tone means everything.... they sound like shit. I wish I would have spent twice as much for elixirs or somthing... IDK... I am a beginner... no experience

I listened to what this person said... put up the money... and they were WRONG!!!! So I should LIE and say how wonderful they are when in reality the are garbage???

No big deal. I said I disagreed and may have come across as a jerk, but apologized in advanced for doing so. I was inquiring what kind of break in period should i expect???

Then you come on here bitching about my "rant"??? GET A LIFE

POINT IS.... I am open to all advice(obviously I bought strings unheard on another persons advice)

But if you do not know what you are talking about do not chime in.
Last edited by jsspang at Mar 10, 2012,
usually patticake gives excellent advice. strings being a proprietary( like my use cranky?) opinion, she gave her advice on what works for her. it wasnt the sound you were looking for. i like elixirs and d'addario EXP 16's and 17's. those may not suit your taste either but they work for me.
Cranky isn't dumb, he's a very intelligent person. he is however one of the largest asses i've run across and still haven't fragged....yet( that may be a record). he gives good sound advice with an over exuberant amount of sarcasm and effusive snobbery. his advice woozes intelligence but his personality takes all of the joy of discovery out of it.
we 'regulars" here apologize for your unhappiness in the strings but do ask for a little more respect in the advice given that was asked of us. hopefully you will find a better set that meets your wants and needs. do come back, its entertaining and quite helpful most of the time.
and Cranky's intellectual idiocy only adds to the flavor of the forum.
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by jsspang

Tone means everything.... they sound like shit. I wish I would have spent twice as much for elixirs or somthing... IDK... I am a beginner... no experience

I listened to what this person said... put up the money... and they were WRONG!!!! So I should LIE and say how wonderful they are when in reality the are garbage???

No big deal. I said I disagreed and may have come across as a jerk, but apologized in advanced for doing so. I was inquiring what kind of break in period should i expect???

POINT IS.... I am open to all advice(obviously I bought strings unheard on another persons advice)

I don't think you're going to have a problem with advice, good or bad, anytime soon. *Reported*
Quote by jsspang

First of all, please keep it civil or you will find yourself in hot water quite quickly.

Secondly, DR Rare's are great strings and many people on this forum swear by them, including myself. They have good bass response compared to a lot of other brands, if that's what you're looking for. However, I always make it a point to say this--Each brand and make of strings sound different on each guitar. Some strings sound great on one guitar and bad on another. It's not as if captaincranky was giving you bad advice. They're decent strings--just not for you.

Quote by Captaincranky
Ovation's been broken for decades, without Fender's "help".

No need to insult brands that others like. It's not productive at all.

EDIT: Come on guys. Enough name calling. If you have an issue with someone here for something they're saying, report it and we'll get it sorted out.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by stepchildusmc
usually patticake gives excellent advice. strings being a proprietary( like my use cranky?) opinion, she gave her advice on what works for her. it wasnt the sound you were looking for. i like elixirs and d'addario EXP 16's and 17's. those may not suit your taste either but they work for me.
Cranky isn't dumb, he's a very intelligent person. he is however one of the largest asses i've run across and still haven't fragged....yet( that may be a record). he gives good sound advice with an over exuberant amount of sarcasm and effusive snobbery. his advice woozes intelligence but his personality takes all of the joy of discovery out of it.
we 'regulars" here apologize for your unhappiness in the strings but do ask for a little more respect in the advice given that was asked of us. hopefully you will find a better set that meets your wants and needs. do come back, its entertaining and quite helpful most of the time.
and Cranky's intellectual idiocy only adds to the flavor of the forum.
I suppose I'll be getting one of your unique and inept amateur psychological evaluations on my profile page soon. For my part, I'd like to suggest that, for the benefit of all concerned, you should probably take more of a, "physician heal thyself" approach this time.
Quote by Captaincranky
I suppose I'll be getting one of your unique and inept amateur psychological evaluations on my profile page soon. For my part, I'd like to suggest that, for the benefit of all concerned, you should probably take more of a, "physician heal thyself" approach this time.

I'm sorry, but how does this do anything but egg other people on? I don't care who started what, but this is unacceptable. If you have nothing to say which helps out another person, I don't want to see it.

Thread closed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.