alternative bands that "sold out" or changed their sound after signing?

Page 1 of 2
I'm writing an essay on independent music, and for one of the paragraphs I would like to note a negative example of this (to contrast a paragraph that shows a band who was able to stick to its roots and still allow room for their own development).

I'm thinking green day, but I don't know too much about them to write an entire paragraph besides my opinion on post-dookie sucks.

Thanks for any help
inb4 metallica
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Green_Ghoul
I'm thinking green day

Why?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
All Time Low.

Some would argue they were never good, but their first CD before they were signed was solid songwriting through and through, and every subsequent release has been shittier and shittier.
Quote by blake1221
All Time Low.

Some would argue they were never good, but their first CD before they were signed was solid songwriting through and through, and every subsequent release has been shittier and shittier.

Could say they're at...

...an All Time Low.

Sorry
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
I'll check out all time low, I don't know much about them though.

I was thinking green day because (from my listening experience), their older stuff is original and catchy, but american idiot sounds saturated because of bands like my chemical romance and linkin park. It was just the "emo" fad of 8th and 9th grade..
Quote by Green_Ghoul

I was thinking green day because (from my listening experience), their older stuff is original and catchy, but american idiot sounds saturated because of bands like my chemical romance and linkin park. It was just the "emo" fad of 8th and 9th grade..

how does american idiot sounded at all like linkin park?
Quote by Green_Ghoul

Well, first you should know, that is terrible and inaccurate use of the term emo. If you're doing a report on genres, know the genres you're comparing them to.

This is what emo sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltG8Wm9p_lk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtIhug9WC7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPeP09FV3tk

Second, listen to songs off of All Time Low's The Party Scene. "We Say Summer" has a great chorus, 5/4 intro, and harmonies. Great starting point, then compare to material off of Nothing Personal. Dramatic transition to autotune vocals, saturated production, simple, ineffective songwriting.
Last edited by blake1221 at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Green_Ghoul

American Idiot sounded a shit load more like their older stuff than Warning did.
Quote by soundgarden1986
American Idiot sounded a shit load more like their older stuff than Warning did.

Exactly.
I love when people don't know what they're talking about. I don't even like Greenday but even I know this.
Also, calling it emo or anything like emo is just... I won't get into that.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
They both sound rubbish.

I wish people with your logic and reasoning were in charge of the country. Well done, sir!
I mean, jesus.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Exactly.
I love when people don't know what they're talking about. I don't even like Greenday but even I know this.
Also, calling it emo or anything like emo is just... I won't get into that.

I wish people with your logic and reasoning were in charge of the country. Well done, sir!
I mean, jesus.

Yes, I'd be Minister for Bacon, and Jeremy Clarkson could be Minister for Other Stuff, and Brian Blessed can be MINISTER FOR SHOUTING.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Greenday

I've never understood why people on this god damn forum are always typing Green Day as one word.

Quote by Green_Ghoul

lol

You're stupid.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
i put emo in quotes because I know it's not emo, it's just what was seen as emo in my area, the main bands being green day, mcr and linkin park. Y'know, the kids who wear all black and smoke cigs in 9th grade and shop at hot topic for 95% of their clothes...that emo.

as far as american idiot sounding like their older stuff, I don't know about much of that. I'm going from my experience with the band which was dookie and then american idiot years later.
ITT: People calling bands who made a record they didn't like "sell-outs"
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
This reminds me of the song Hooker with a Penis by Tool. If you haven't heard it, the basic message is that if you in any band with any kind of following you've bent over, and 'sold your soul to make a record' as maynard describes it. Generally fans only accuse bands of selling out when they make decisions that they disagree with. Every band has to do shit they don't want to when they sign a label, but they had to do all that shit independently before they were signed regardless. The way a label organize promotion is simply more effective and widespread. Point and case; every band you've ever heard and enjoyed has sold out to get their music to you. So be grateful for that and shut the **** up
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I'd second All Time Low. Their latest record Dirty Work was released on a major label (Interscope), and it was a major fall from even their previous Nothing Personal, which wasn't nearly as good as So Wrong It's Right (which in turn wasn't really as good as the Put Up Or Shut Up EP or The Party Scene).

The Party Scene (2005) had great songs like Noel, Hometown Heroes, National Nobodies and the Interlude was also one of my favorite parts of the album. The lyrics are well written on this album, you notice that he put some thought behind them. Musically this record is the most original they have done, with good variations of the songs.

Dirty Work (2011) have the worst songs of their career on it, songs like That Girl, I Feel Like Dancin and Just The Way I'm Not are some of the low points of the low. The whole album feels soulless and predictable, there are no memorable moments to find anywhere. Hell, it's not even catchy.

They went from good pop punk to bad pop (rock) music.
Quote by intothe
I'd second All Time Low. Their latest record Dirty Work was released on a major label (Interscope), and it was a major fall from even their previous Nothing Personal, which wasn't nearly as good as So Wrong It's Right (which in turn wasn't really as good as the Put Up Or Shut Up EP or The Party Scene).

The Party Scene (2005) had great songs like Noel, Hometown Heroes, National Nobodies and the Interlude was also one of my favorite parts of the album. The lyrics are well written on this album, you notice that he put some thought behind them. Musically this record is the most original they have done, with good variations of the songs.

Dirty Work (2011) have the worst songs of their career on it, songs like That Girl, I Feel Like Dancin and Just The Way I'm Not are some of the low points of the low. The whole album feels soulless and predictable, there are no memorable moments to find anywhere. Hell, it's not even catchy.

They went from good pop punk to bad pop (rock) music.

See? What did I tell you, Green_Ghoul?

Textbook example.
American Idiot was a great album, in terms of their sound and career.
Yes it was completely different, and therefore highly likely to alienate the angsty one-track-minded teens (read: 90% of their fanbase) and appeal more to those who welcome a fresh change, however this isn't such a negative thing.
It sold like a bomb and launched them up into real pop music superstars.
Quote by Green_Ghoul
Y'know, the kids who wear all black and smoke cigs in 9th grade and shop at hot topic for 95% of their clothes...that emo.

Nope. That's what people thought was emo, pretty much like how wearing a scarf and glasses is now automatically hipster.
Emo, in that sense, was nothing more than a term used by morons to try and feel superior and isolated from a group of people along with words like hipster, goth, scene, etc. Notice how goth and emo aren't used so much anymore, right? Scene's dying out too. Hipster will die soon, and next it'll be Burger or Dildo or something equally as stupid and pointless.
Most of the time bands don't sell out. They change because they are sick of writing the same stuff over and over again. Instead, it's those that like to feel superior that change. Not their tactics, but who they target. These people make me sick.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
American Idiot was a great album, in terms of their sound and career.
Yes it was completely different, and therefore highly likely to alienate the angsty one-track-minded teens (read: 90% of their fanbase) and appeal more to those who welcome a fresh change, however this isn't such a negative thing.
It sold like a bomb and launched them up into real pop music superstars.

This. It's not Green Day's fault attracted the most annoying fanbase known to mankind.

As much as I love that album, I hate Green Day's fans. Actually the same way I feel about A7X.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I partially agree with All Time Low, but its not like they just hoped up and all of a sudden changed their sound. Their music has defiantly become more "mainstream" over the years but there is 2 albums between The Party Scene and Dirty Work so its been a long term change.

Not alternative, but the metal band Blacktide are the first band i think of when i think of sell outs. Their debut and sophomore album when they got signed are so drastically different, and their entire image has completely changed to whats 'in' at the moment.
There's a local metal band called Black Asylum who played decent thrash, got signed, and became horrid generic metalcore.

Could be attributed to a change in guitarists though.
Quote by blake1221
See? What did I tell you, Green_Ghoul?

Textbook example.

nooooo, I already submitted it with a choppy as hell green day paragraph, only to be followed with an awesome paragraph on the hentchmen. Thank god it's my rough draft and I only end up using about a third of my drafts for my final essay.

I'll be sure to do some listening and research on all time low in the next couple of weeks.

I don't get why people are getting so pissed off about opinions D;
Quote by Green_Ghoul

I don't get why people are getting so pissed off about opinions D;

Because opinions on 'Did band x sell out?' generally get pretty divisive, as do debates about genre, or music in general really.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT

**** off. Linkin Park were always a mainstream band so I don't get how they sold out. And if you had actually bothered to listen to their later albums properly (ATS in particular) then you would realise that its LESS mainstream then Hybrid Theory or Meteora.
Muse. I don't exactly have too much to back it up, but once Muse got signed to Warner Music their live antics and such were toned down a lot.
eminem is a good example.
used to be all like "**** you, you can sue me"
knows he's making gay pop songs.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
AX7 and Dream Theater have changed a lot since signing to Roadrunner even before portnoy left
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I like green day. Didn't even know it was an uncool thing to do.

Probably already been said, but i think that as a band improves they generally just get better at sounding like how they want to sound and thus attract more fans.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
eminem is a good example.
used to be all like "**** you, you can sue me"
knows he's making gay pop songs.

People grow up?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Page 1 of 2