Hello

Well i started playing electric guitars 3 months ago ,, played Spanish 9 months earlier

and till now i can do some scales ( not ultra fast like youtube guys ) ,, some Basic power chords ,,,, and some Riffs and intros from different song ( short ones)

But Till now i can't play a full song ,,, cant do these licks with hammer and bend like these speed machines guys i see ,, cant do most of what i see in tabs ( cuz of slow )

So My Question Is ,,, How Should i continue learning To Improve speed and techniques ?? What to learn?

Should i only play scales till getting better ??? or power chords ??
or learning some licks will help getting better??

Need ur help cuz i'm really confused and dont know what to do/learn next

For How long should i practice each day

My Guitar Iz Dean z79 ,,, i play rock and metal
Practice your scales relentlessly if you're purely trying to build speed and accuracy. I'd recommend you play them to a metronome and just run straight through them for awhile. Once your speed and accuracy has gone up you can start playing to backing tracks. This is where it gets fun because you get to practice but you also start playing music instead of just notes.
^ mostly what that guy said, but also some of these guys are just amazing. I have seen kids that are like 13 years old that can play stuff I just cannot, so really just get your skills where YOU need them to be.
Well ,, these scales are boring but looks like it's the only way to get better

i started playing 21 years old and i'm worrying if i started too old/late ,,, cuz each time i ask someone playing good he tells me that he's playing from years

i hate when the guitar make noise (on distortion) or i make mistakes (happens alot )

Thanks
start with easy songs and make sure your technique is right. practice slowly and build up speed over time it will not come easy or fast. all people are different and it is hard to judge off other peoples progress.

i would practice for an hour every day. practice technique and songs. i can't stress enough to pratice propper technique

some easy starting tips for you would be:

to get a strap and make sure you hold the guitar right.

a lot of people do not hold the guitar properly when they start and have to bend their wrist to much and reach with your fingers the guitar should be held in a position so that your wrist can always be in the same position but that your arm can move back and forth to move up and down the neck.

second make sure when playing a single note your finger is ALWAYS right infront of the fret to get the best note possible. exact same for chords except sometimes you cannot so make the notes you are playing always as close to the fret as possible.

as for hammer ons just practice and it will come like i said always the first note pushed as close to the fret as possiblr and the second to land right at the fret.

watch some vids on pull offs they can be tricky at first and always close to the fret.

also practice bending a lot of times you will bend up to notes. i gotta go but maybe some one else can help you with bending.
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Mar 9, 2012,
I always say this, whatever you want.

If you want to shred go for it, no point learning stuff you don't want to. When I started guitar I jumped straight into soloing. First things I learned were The intro Riff to Raining Blood the solos to Master of Puppet, One, The Final Countdown and Crazy Train (a little later) . I learned the fast licks at the start of Puppets and Countdown and just played them over and over for a couple of months and then I was able to play them to speed. I wanted to shred and learning chords wasn't going to help me achieve that so I didn't bother, I still only know power chords almost 4 years later.

I'd say I developed almost all of my Speed in the first year, I've gotten cleaner and worked on muting unwanted noise and lately accuracy.

EDIT: Also if possible record yourself playing. I've got like 50+ videos and I watch them and it's nice to see how far you've come.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
Practice your scales relentlessly if you're purely trying to build speed and accuracy. I'd recommend you play them to a metronome and just run straight through them for awhile. Once your speed and accuracy has gone up you can start playing to backing tracks. This is where it gets fun because you get to practice but you also start playing music instead of just notes.

Wate of time.

TS, you're right, scales are boring. They're boring to play and they're boring to listen to, so don't fret too much about practicing them. It's important to know scales, to understand how they sound, how they function and know where to find the notes. Playing them fast isn't important, in fact it's useless.

There's far more effective things you can drill to improve your accuracy, have a look in the exercises sticky at the top of the page.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Wate of time.

TS, you're right, scales are boring. They're boring to play and they're boring to listen to, so don't fret too much about practicing them. It's important to know scales, to understand how they sound, how they function and know where to find the notes. Playing them fast isn't important, in fact it's useless.

Maybe the way the youtube guys use them. Most composers in the last 400 years used scales and fragments of scales in various length in the most exciting fashion as you probably know. The ability of playing them fast is not useless unless you want to be able only to play a very narrow niche of style.