So as the title says I'm looking to finally upgrade my pickups. I've got an ibanez rgr421exfm (solid mahogany body, flamed maple top, fixed bridge) and while I've always loved the feel of the guitar the pickups have always left a little to be desired, currently installed are the stock Ibanez V7/V8 humbuckers.

Now after a good 2 years with that guitar I'm looking to upgrade to some good medium/high output passive humbuckers, I tend to play mostly prog stuff like Protest the Hero, The Human Abstract and some occasional metalcore like August Burns Red but I also tend to venture into the realm of RHCP and some classic metal every now and again.

The problem is I have basically no clue about pickups in general and so I'm seeking wisdom from the sage community that is UG, thanks in advance

Also I play through a Peavey Vypyr 30 (yes it's a modelling amp but with my budget and the range of music I tend to play it was the best choice and I haven't regretted it for a second :P)
the world is your oyster here. I'm a huge Duncan fan. Any of the big guys will have something for you, and also check out Guitar Fetish (GFS). Great pups for a great price
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Off topic in way, but, I just ordered a V.P. 75 and was wondering, does it kick major titty balls??? And to answer your question, personally, I equipped my Jackson V, Alexi 200, and Dean RB with 81 and 85 combo. My good friend had an Ibanez gio w/ a Dimarzio in the bridge and it kicked major ass before being "upgraded" to a(n) 81 later on.
I feel the Vypyr requires a fair amount of fiddling around with to get the tones you want but it's versatility and value outweigh that minor problem hugely, especially since once you get a tone you can just store it to the memory bank and recall it at a push of a button. Hell I'm still amazed at some of the tones I can get with this
Ideally you should get an EMG 81/85 set, but you won't be able to take full advantage of them with a 30W modeling amp.

I'm thinking.... DiMarzio D Activator X's.

And if you don't have one, get a Sanpera
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeh I was looking at D activator X's. What are your thoughts on a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo?
The Liquifire is awesome. Buttery and articulate lead tones, as well as some nice cleans. I'm not personally a fan of the Crunch Lab - I think the D Sonic sounds a lot better, not as sterile/boring sounding.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dimarzios are a solid choice, some people think you can do better, but i like them a lot. I'm actually putting an Air Norton in the neck and a D Activator in the bridge of my LP soon, but I'm trying to reach different tonal goals. But apparently that Air Norton can be pretty diverse, I'm using it for it's clean and crisp qualities for clean tone, but i'm sure they would definately be a possibility for you. Also I know a lot of people love the 36th anniversary PAFs they have, haven't actually heard them though
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well