I am trying to put together a list of pedals and such to achieve a gilmour-like tone. My guitar is a Cort KX1Q. It has EMG open coil humbuckers with a coil tap. I currently have 2 amps, a blackheart little giant and a jet city 2112RC. but i will sell those and save up a bit more to buy the Vox AC30C2: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-custom-ac30c2-30w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
Here are the effects i plan on buying:
Electro Harmonix USA Classic Big Muff PI:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/electro-harmonix-classics-usa-big-muff-pi-distortion--sustainer-guitar-effects-pedal/153314000000000
Electro Harmonix Classic Electric Mistress:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/electro-harmonix-classics-deluxe-electric-mistress-flanger--filter-matrix-guitar-effects-pedal/153302000000000
MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/mxr-m169-carbon-copy-analog-delay-guitar-effects-pedal/150571000000000
MXR M-102 Dyna Comp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/mxr-m-102-dyna-comp-compressor-pedal/151101000000000

This setup will cost me about 1250$ Plus my 600$ Guitar

Is this the best bang for my buck? Or am i spending too much on the wrong effects? And yes, i am already very aware of gilmourish.com
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Don't know about an AC30. Gilmour uses a big Hiwatt with cleans for miles. An AC30 will be a bit toppy. You'd be better off with an big old Plexi than an AC30 but it's still the wrong amp for the job. It's hard to recommend an amp that will do what an old Hiwatt will do, especially within your budget. They are their own unique animal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not only that, he used a bass preamp for years along with giant tape delays and whatnot. Gilmour has a pretty hard to obtain tone from his pieced together rig, unique Hiwatt tone, and outdated effects that are an absolute pain to find.

I'd honestly start with getting a different guitar, humbuckers are the wrong path for Gilmourvana
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
well, it has a coil tap so i can switch it to single coils whenever i want. honestly with it and my jet city i can get a gilmour like tone just from playing a certain way with the right settings. i just want to sound similar. not exactly alike. i would like to get a sound close to his and then create my own unique off of that foundation.
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Coil tapping isn't quite a single coil

Your amp is going to give you 90% of your tone. A good amp to look for would be a Sunn Alpha for a Gilmour-like tone without breaking the bank. The later SS models were pretty decent (for clean playing) but the older tube model was better. It's practically impossible to get a SS Alpha to distort, the tube model doesn't easily but will break up a bit for light crunch. Another decent option would be a bigger Fender combo, such as a Rivera-era model. Neither are gonna be there, but will be in the general ballpark.

As far as effects, analog echoes and delays will get you close. And you'll want to pick up a reverb as well. I'd focus on them before the compressor and muff. I'm not sure what to recommend (pedal or amp-wise) for his crunch tones though.

EDIT: What albums are you trying to hit his tone on? Keep in mind the muff has a real love-hate relationship and they take awhile to learn how to use correctly. You're more than likely going to hate it when you first use it, because they're so nasty sounding.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 10, 2012,
That's so odd because i honestly put my big muff away for 2 years because it annoyed me. Just dug it out of the closet 2 months ago and I've been having trouble turning it off since then.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
I have read in many places from many different people that the Peavey Classic is an excellent "cheap" amp for Gilmour tones.

Also, get EMG 89's for your guitar. They split into true single coils (SA's), and Gilmour actually uses SA's now.

Here's a decent video. His gear is in the description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9IHA8XNBH0

EDIT: You could probably also get a strat from the money difference between an AC30 and a Classic 30.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by darkwolf291
You need a Deluxe Memory Man.
No DMM, no Gilmour

He used an Echorec on most of the studio recordings.

Check this out TS. http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=57 I personally wouldn't go with any of the stuff you mentioned in the OP.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Offworld92
I have read in many places from many different people that the Peavey Classic is an excellent "cheap" amp for Gilmour tones.

Also, get EMG 89's for your guitar. They split into true single coils (SA's), and Gilmour actually uses SA's now.

Here's a decent video. His gear is in the description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9IHA8XNBH0

EDIT: You could probably also get a strat from the money difference between an AC30 and a Classic 30.

He's gone mostly back to Blackie now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Either way, the SA's are still excellent single coils.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I got one myself. Gets that bell-like post Waters sound quite nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's a pretty good tone considering the cost in that rig. It's missing that huge/smooth top end but that could be due to the recording quality. His technique is a little off but is very acceptable

I just sold a set of SAs a few days ago actually. Very clear and articulate pickups, I missed that classic Strat bite too much to keep them though.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 10, 2012,
What I like most about the SA is how quiet it is. Quietest sc pup I've ever come across. That can be a big deal at some venues.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^Very true

Great, you guys got me on a Gilmour binge now.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
^Very true

Great, you guys got me on a Gilmour binge now.

Join the club - thats a tone i'll be forever chasing haha
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Few things- amps- go for the cleanest you can find- Fender Twins excellent, and believe it or not, JC120's.

Then you need a boost/drive. And the modulation is relevant to the era- Flanger will give you the wall, vibe DSOT, and chorus will do most other.

Re delays, 2- Carbon Copy and a DD2 are the best budget options.

And, I'd buy a RAT over the Muff.
Well, my favourite album is The Wall so really i'd be wanting a tone like that. i know he uses an electric mistress in most of the songs.
The big muff would only really act as a boost/ sustain for when im doing solos. if im not soloing ill be using the amps normal drive. i have looked at other drives like the MXR custom badass OD and the ibanez ts808. but gilmour used a ram's head and this one is as close as i can get.
As for the compressor he used the dynacomp on the wall.
For his delay he used an MXR digital delay system. which is now packed into the carbon copy delay they make.

I think the 3 biggest issues here are the amp, the guitar, and the OD pedal.
i play alot of zeppelin stuff too so i need to be versatile with my amp. i'd get a classic 30 or a fender reissue, but i want that page sound as well. i heard the AC 30 does good enough for gilmour tones.
One thing to note is i cant sell or mod my Cort in any way because it was a gift from my mother and she requests i keep it in it's original state and that i never sell it.

One more thing, if i put my Jet city on the right settings, add some reverb from it, plug in a phase 90 (sold it), split the coils, and put my guitar on the neck pickup, i have a perfect shine on you crazy diamond sound.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

For the short answer, there are other very expensive things you can buy which will get you most of the way there, but what you have listed will do an okay job. Most of Gilmour's tone came from his fingers, anyway. Practice your technique. You'll get more out of that than gear.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Sounds like you already made up your mind before you created this thread
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

yeah i tend to make my mind 99% up before i start a thread. it takes a while to convince me to buy something else. but i still really appreciate the feedback because the more knowledge the better!
I was set on a classic 30 a year ago but i was convinced on here to get the jet city.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Hey i hear that the Analog Man Sun Face will give me a better overall tone and is great for gilmour's stuff. my amp isnt too clean and i hear the sunface will sound good over an overdriven sound. other than that i think my mind is made on the other pedals.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by thundermonty
Well, my favourite album is The Wall so really i'd be wanting a tone like that. i know he uses an electric mistress in most of the songs.
The big muff would only really act as a boost/ sustain for when im doing solos. if im not soloing ill be using the amps normal drive. i have looked at other drives like the MXR custom badass OD and the ibanez ts808. but gilmour used a ram's head and this one is as close as i can get.
As for the compressor he used the dynacomp on the wall.
For his delay he used an MXR digital delay system. which is now packed into the carbon copy delay they make.

I think the 3 biggest issues here are the amp, the guitar, and the OD pedal.
i play alot of zeppelin stuff too so i need to be versatile with my amp. i'd get a classic 30 or a fender reissue, but i want that page sound as well. i heard the AC 30 does good enough for gilmour tones.
One thing to note is i cant sell or mod my Cort in any way because it was a gift from my mother and she requests i keep it in it's original state and that i never sell it.

One more thing, if i put my Jet city on the right settings, add some reverb from it, plug in a phase 90 (sold it), split the coils, and put my guitar on the neck pickup, i have a perfect shine on you crazy diamond sound.

A few points back; the EM and the Wall- nowhere near used as much as people think- a lot of the 'flange' sound is a Yamaha RA50 Leslie Cab (Comf Numb for instance).

And, the MXR System II/Carbon Copy- poles apart. The rack unit is very very clean and digital. In fact it's the same chip/algorithms used in a Quadaverb (both units designed by same guy.)

Big Muff- modern big muffs are poles apart from the Ram's Head era ones. The new ones are fizzy and yukky. There's shed loads of good Ram's Head clones about for roughly the same price as a new EH.

And, AC30- one of the least Gilmourish amp ever!!! (although I love 'em).
Agreed. If you wanted to guarantee that you won't sound a bit like Gilmour - buy an AC30.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Anyone in here have experience with the Classic 50?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
carbon copies are nice, i have a memory toy (the hundred dollar jobby) and wieh set right will do gilmour quite nicely. a 3 knober is all i need, but if you wanna throw down the money and need the tweakability, EHX delay / echos are spot on to gilmours sound.

they catch a bad wrap...i think my memory toy is quite fantastic. it gets a great reverby / echo tone for some jangly rock / rockability / surf. but it also has that ability to thicken the tone and add a presence or aura to your tone that only an analog delay / echo can do.

sometimes i wish i had a digital, most of the times i prefer a analog
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Anyone in here have experience with the Classic 50?

I read somewhere once that the circuit was a little different than the 30, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

I'm more interested in the Classic 100 head. If it sounds like the 30, that could be an awesome substitute for a Hiwatt half stack, on a budget. But they're pretty rare.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard

Once you go Blackie, you never go backie.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals