So I've been playing guitar for 4 years now and have a good thing going I know a lot of theory have scales down I'm just not as fast as I'd like to be is there any speed building exercises I could to to help my speed
But I won't let you sit by
So call in the kids
Alone, you can't make amends
Now I won't let you sit by
But so call in the kids
Now that's enough with this f*cking incense
----------------------------------------------

Interpol - Mammoth
you don't practice to build speed. it comes naturally after you practice something so long. worry about playing cleanly and accurately and practice it comfortably, not so that you are straining to play it because it's so fast.

one exercise I would recommend though are string skips. if you practice string skipping and become comfortable with it, it will seem like a breeze with regular alternate picking since you won't have that extra string to skip over.
speed is a byproduct of accuracy
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
21 day challenge sticky in this forum. do it.

put it into perspective: ive been playing for just over a year and a bit.

i cant play malmsteen for shit before hand, and those 7/4 breaks at the start of "Far Beyond the Sun" looked insane.

now, after practicing for a week, im getting faster, my pinky finger isnt going fully erect when it isnt fretted and i can do it really slowly (eights at 120).

just, work on it, over and over and over again forever.
Quote by fastlanestoner
speed is a byproduct of accuracy

Being accurate at 60bpm and 120bpm are two totally different worlds though. You can be really accurate playing slow, but that doesn't mean you can double your speed and be just as accurate.

Accuracy alone doesn't build speed. You need to practice playing faster if you want to get faster.
Quote by J_W
Being accurate at 60bpm and 120bpm are two totally different worlds though. You can be really accurate playing slow, but that doesn't mean you can double your speed and be just as accurate.

Accuracy alone doesn't build speed. You need to practice playing faster if you want to get faster.

I think you went abit to close into detail into what he said.
What he ment was really, before going faster you should be able to play accurately and relaxed in the current tempo your working in. Then you just increase the tempo slightly so you don't lose all the accuracy.

The way to practice playing faster is by practicing relaxed and accurate, otherwise it may become sloppy as hell. And i rather play something slower than original speed cleanly, well and relaxed than playing something fast, tense and sloppy.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
What I've found helpful is just playing to songs you like that have good and interesting chord progressions. Play along with the song and improvise. Make sure to add some runs that pick up speed. If you do this often enough...and you do it just to do it because you enjoy it...it will come faster than you think.

Sounds corny...but it works.
Well......I have big balls.