Recently I have realized that while I love studying music and performing; I really love working with instruments. I really love researching how they are put together and how to repair and take care of them. I was thinking I look into become a string instrument tech and was kinda wondering how I should go about that. I am currently in college but there isn't any programs for instrument repair here. Is this the type of career that I have to learn through other instrument techs or is there an education path to go through?
Quote by ^-^
Recently I have realized that while I love studying music and performing; I really love working with instruments. I really love researching how they are put together and how to repair and take care of them. I was thinking I look into become a string instrument tech and was kinda wondering how I should go about that. I am currently in college but there isn't any programs for instrument repair here. Is this the type of career that I have to learn through other instrument techs or is there an education path to go through?

Honestly, my first piece of advise, as much as you love doing it, dont look to make a career out of it.

That being said, iv never considered my 'guitar tech' but iv been doing it for about 4 years. Learnt the basics by myself and used the internet to learn as much as possible but the best thing i even did was spend time with a local luthier. A man that can create a guitar will be able to tech you more than a man that can fix them, and they usually pay you for the help!!

I spent the best part of a year at a music shop working with a guy that built guitars out of the back room, first it was simple things, getting rid of buzz/ intonating a guitar ectect. Then to wiring, fretting, scalloping, binding and even got onto a few basics about shaping necks and all that time if he was busy id do the work and get the money for the job which was great.

Now i work a crappy day job but still do some work for people if they get in contact for the extra cash. Its damn near impossible to set up a decent living from being a techy but if you are dead set my advise would be to talk to some small/ family owned music shops to see if they would let you use their shop as a base, or even advertise you as the local tech and do it from home.

Failing that, having 'Stringed instrument technologist' sounds great on your CV haha
My home town has several small music stores and I know one or two lutheirs in the area I'm hoping to call and see if they would be interested in having an assistant over the summer. The main problem I'm facing is that I'm going to school in another state, and in order to follow this path I'd have to leave school, or at least transfer to somewhere closer to home and take a MUCH smaller class load. I already have some woodworking experience and really enjoyed it, and the time I've spent keeping up my instruments or repairing others has really been enjoyable. Thank you for your honesty, and is there anyone else that can weigh in as well?