Hey fellas/ladies,

I'm planning to build a 7 string reverse headstock strat and I need a few pointers.

1: Is there any difference in body shape dimensions I need to consider to build a 7 string?
2: Should I attempt to build a neck with my first build?
3: What wood is relatively cheap but would sound good with passives?
4: Is there any dimension resources you guys have used before for templates?
5: Somewhat unlikely any of you guys would know but wood suppliers in Australia that wont charge the world?

Many thanks!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
1, if you can find body blueprints then increase the size to about 110% of what it is. This might still be a little small to fit the extra neck girth but the body will be a fit.

2. i wouldnt, head to rondomusic.com and email the guy to see how much a neck would cost you, you'd have to make some changes to the headstock but if you have any woodwork knowledge it wont be too hard at all.

3. Maple body sounds great, easy to work with and isnt too weighty, then paint or you can buy fairly cheap pieces of veneer to cover the top if you want to keep a natural wood look

4. Sorry non to hand but a quick google search should give you a tonne of strat info

5. again, no sorry but again google is your best friend!!
Quote by mr7string
1, if you can find body blueprints then increase the size to about 110% of what it is. This might still be a little small to fit the extra neck girth but the body will be a fit.

2. i wouldnt, head to rondomusic.com and email the guy to see how much a neck would cost you, you'd have to make some changes to the headstock but if you have any woodwork knowledge it wont be too hard at all.

3. Maple body sounds great, easy to work with and isnt too weighty, then paint or you can buy fairly cheap pieces of veneer to cover the top if you want to keep a natural wood look

4. Sorry non to hand but a quick google search should give you a tonne of strat info

5. again, no sorry but again google is your best friend!!

That's what she said
Well I've always played 25,5" and it's felt comfortable so something around that length (I can go under or over)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
if you're going with a standard scale length, definitely go with 25.5 over 24.75 (like a gibson would have). I went shorter on my 7 build and even though I use a higher than normal 7 string tuning, with regular strings it's a little flabby

also on the point of buying a neck for your first build, that's what I did and I sort of regret not building it myself. I had the tools and skills, I was just a little weary of it

if you do know what you're doing when it comes to woodworking and are fairly confident and up for the challenge, I say go for it
sorry for the wait. not been home in a few days

7 string strat - 25.5" scale
http://www.box.com/s/7fa5l0v4ir77u6nao4u5

i dont own a 7string.
took the nut width and string spread from 7 string floyd rose measurements

the body joins @17th fret on the top horn
joins body @ 21 / 22nd fret (21.5)
if you use the neck template, please measure the fret positions. not sure if there 100% accurate. mostly always use 0.25mm line width. cant be that far off lol
no headstock on the download file though

you will need a SVG program to open.
http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=en

good luck