Hey guys, I've been playing for 4 years now and I've only recorded a few times with a friend who was extremely manipulative with what we produced, so I've decided to try my hand at it myself. Problem is, he had his own legit studio, his Dad actually produces and distributes music for a lot of the smaller bands and artists in the tri-state area, so he had a pretty good setup.

I'm not looking to get into anything vocal-related, just straight guitar, so could anyone here recommend something that I can use to plug my guitar into my PC and record?

I'm looking to spend no more than $200 to start off, I don't need anything fancy, just something that will make crisp, clear recordings with standard effects, the one my friend had gave a variety of effects: clean, distortion, delay, etc.

I remember plugging into something called a Gearbox. That's all I know. Can anybody point me into a good direction? I really believe that I have what it takes to record good music, but what I lack is the means to do so and I'm tired of losing all of my great, spur of the moment material.