Poll: Some general statements that may or may not relate to your actual opinion
Poll Options
View poll results: Some general statements that may or may not relate to your actual opinion
Others are merely steps on the stairway towards my victory
17 17%
I'm willing to compromise a few relationships in order to reach my goal
29 29%
Some option in the middle
25 25%
I think cooperation is key to getting anywhere in life
19 19%
Putting effort into anything is too much for me.
11 11%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Do you have a goal you're willing to to sacrifice all of your relationships for? One for which you would slaughter all who stand in your path? Or...not?

I've heard a lot of stories comparing departments in other schools. Some people are for a more cooperative learning environment, people helping each other out and what not. I kind of want something more akin to a bloodbath. Lack of competition, and thus lack of asserting one's dominance, seems more than a little dull.

Does abandoning camaraderie in exchange for success appeal to you?
Quote by MakinLattes
Does abandoning camaraderie in exchange for success appeal to you?
Yeah
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Yeah

You don't even know what you have done to me. I know far too much about chickens and their pecking order now.

Apparently it's established when they are chicks. Poor things can never move up in the world...unless the chicken above them dies. Talk about motivation.
On a scale of 1-10 i'd be about a 4 maybe.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
What sort of situations are you talking about here?

I'm quite ambitious in some ways, but being a cunt to people for it doesn't appeal to me at all.
Quote by MakinLattes
You don't even know what you have done to me. I know far too much about chickens and their pecking order now.

Apparently it's established when they are chicks. Poor things can never move up in the world...unless the chicken above them dies. Talk about motivation.
That's why you kill off the leader.

EDIT: Good. Next time, you will think twice before having that chicken for dinner.

Also, this is the most realistic movie that depicts chicken life
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Mar 10, 2012,
I have ambitions, but not a defined goal yet, as dumb as that sounds.

I wouldn't sacrifice any real close relationships, but at the moment I don't have a close relationship with anybody, so it's okay for me to be super ambitious.

Edit: And my idea of ambition doesn't include "stepping over people".
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 10, 2012,
Does being ambitious mean losing friends and stepping over people?

Anyway, probably about a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
Does being ambitious mean losing friends and stepping over people?

Anyway, probably about a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10.

Not necessarily. I suppose it depends on how extreme/deluded you are.

Say, for example, your professor grades on a curve. If you put a lot of stock into grades, it's not only good when you yourself do well, but also when other do worse than you.
I don't have too much in the way of what I consider "friends" aside from my bandmates, my family members are quite supportive of what I've chosen to do despite the fact that they don't really get the music, so I'm pretty good.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I need other people to succeed, so I try hard not to screw people over or burn bridges. I would screw a good acquaintance over if it was an absolutely crucial juncture in my life where doing so would really send me down a much better path. I don't feel good saying that, but it's true enough.

I'm not dumb, fairly good at whatever I apply myself to, and have some clear and lofty goals. That said, I don't have much will power when left to my lonesome--I do much better work and produce much better results when I have other people to help me along the way.
Kinda disappointed by the real question in this thread. I don't think ambition is limited to how far you're willing to screw others over.

I consider myself pretty ambitious with where I want to be, but that's so that I can do something I care about and be comfortable. If I had to sacrifice important relationships to get to that position, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Kinda disappointed by the real question in this thread. I don't think ambition is limited to how far you're willing to screw others over.

I consider myself pretty ambitious with where I want to be, but that's so that I can do something I care about and be comfortable. If I had to sacrifice important relationships to get to that position, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

This pretty much 100%.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
On one hand, cooperation can help you later in life. Making friends can be a powerful tool.

.... On the other hand, only the things you do for yourself will last 100%. Friends may the grateful at the time, but won't always pull through for you. While I think it's a bit unnecessary to utterly destroy people in your way, it is good to make friends. Just remember that people are assholes.

I don't know how I'm going to vote yet
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Xiaoxi

Sorry. When I think of "ambition," I see it as having a passion (to excel, whatever) to the exclusion of everything else.

Interpret it as you will and feel free to answer accordingly. Of course success, friends and family aren't mutually exclusive. In the case of extremes, though, I'm simply curious as to how far one would go.
I think of ambition as simply having the determination to do something. Sure, that could sometimes involve stepping on others, but often times that's just not part of the equation, so it's like an external factor based on a specific situation and not part of ambition itself.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i wouldnt step over people to get to where i want, but i would end some relationships if i had to, but not every relationship like family or good friends. if i was doing that, i think i would have to reevaluate my situation
For being, really, just someone who sits around and does a bunch of drugs, I feel very ambitious. I can solder, am versed in good literature, and like to talk to animals.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
For being, really, just someone who sits around and does a bunch of drugs, I feel very ambitious. I can solder, am versed in good literature, and like to talk to animals.

I'm not sure what this post means.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I'm not sure what this post means.

Your post is met with equal disdain.
It's crazy to think of the things I could pursue if I wasn't married and had a child. Not that I want to give that up. But if I somehow had the same freedom and time to devote my attention to whatever I wanted, I could do some stuff.
I wish I could devote myself to school, marriage, and children. It sucks, because I understand that if I cannot financially support children I shouldn't be making them, so I never develop any meaningful sexual relationships, and well.... here we have a catch-22

And some much needed inpatient treatment.
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I put off seeing my girlfriend a couple of times because of training. But she understood because she knew I need to train hard to make the team, and now that I've made the team there's less issue so it's all good.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
i have many talents and yet a certain lack of ambition, and i think this is do to schools...
just because I'm good at something doesn't mean that the people around should feel shamed and try to rival me.
the pressure that society puts around success has crushed my dreams, because to my eyes, nothing is worth friendship.
this is not how a peaceful society should work
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
I have an ambition that I would sacrifice everything for. The only problem is I have no talent and my low self-esteem drives me to never accomplish it.

So fuck it, I'll die miserable.
I'm more ambitious than someone who wants to make lattes for the rest of her life.

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
being ambitious means losing friends and contact with people? what?

Yes, because to fulfill your ambitions you have to put a lot of time and effort in it. That's why there's a stereotype in movies that these rich, succesful people have crappy family lifes, end up with divorces and end up killing themselves. That's the life I want.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yes, because to fulfill your ambitions you have to put a lot of time and effort in it. That's why there's a stereotype in movies that these rich, succesful people have crappy family lifes, end up with divorces and end up killing themselves. That's the life I want.

i disagree. i understand to be good at something you have to practice. but to be ambitious doesnt mean you have to lose friends. you can be efficient. you can make time for everything.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i disagree. i understand to be good at something you have to practice. but to be ambitious doesnt mean you have to lose friends. you can be efficient. you can make time for everything.

That why there are multiple poll options. Your ambition is not strong enough if you believe that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I'm going to study abroad (firmed my unconditional offer from Bath two weeks ago). Thinking about how much effort I put into the application. (I made a backup application to our counterpart to UCAS within half an hour, as oppsoed to the month spent preparing my UCAS application...)

I'm going to have a large student loan, £60,000-ish perhaps when I'm done with my bachelor in England and my master in Norway.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Neo Evil11
That why there are multiple poll options. Your ambition is not strong enough if you believe that.

i still disagree. different people have different ways of going about things. some people can feel the need to cut off outside interaction to do something, others dont need to. neither has more ambition. both can have the same desire, just weighed differently.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
i still disagree. different people have different ways of going about things. some people can feel the need to cut off outside interaction to do something, others dont need to. neither has more ambition. both can have the same desire, just weighed differently.

If that's your definition of ambition than you're not ambitious enough or don't need to be for the things you want to do. Leading a big company/country means working overtime, always taking phone calls, going on business trips even when birthdays are, the things that upset everyone that has to live with you.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
The thing is, if I was working somewhere that I hated everyone, then I'd probably cheerfully slaughter them all for a £100 a year pay rise.
As things stand, I work on my own, so I'll simply continue beating myself recreationally.
Quote by Neo Evil11
If that's your definition of ambition than you're not ambitious enough or don't need to be for the things you want to do. Leading a big company/country means working overtime, always taking phone calls, going on business trips even when birthdays are, the things that upset everyone that has to live with you.

The problem with your logic is that you're assuming that ambition is meant strictly in a corporate/leadership arena. There are plenty of lofty goals to fight for that don't involve companies or business trips at all.

It seems like what you're shooting for is the 'time' factor; eg. taking time from one area of your life and devoting it to another in order to achieve your goal, which is hardly crippling to a relationship (be it friendship or romantic) when you and your friend understand one another, and you and your partner trust one another. If they're not feeling you're worth the wait, they're not a solid friend anyway.

You're also not factoring in the prospect of making friends/lovers that love the same things you do, and so understand the time constraints and dedication necessary.

Additionally, suggesting that your goals are more ambitious than someone else's, or that they don't have a worthwhile set of ambitions simply because they aren't in line with yours, is a pretty arrogant thing to do. Value isn't based on a societal norm when it comes to chasing what you want to do/be. It's based on what you love and how much you love it.

Monetary success is something entirely different, and hardly what the discussion here is about.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 10, 2012,
Page 1 of 2