I asked the teacher how he taught and he replied that he gives the student the choice of which style and song he wants to learn and just go over everything in the song. Is this a good way to become a good guitarist to learn other artIsts songs?
Quote by jslv
I asked the teacher how he taught and he replied that he gives the student the choice of which style and song he wants to learn and just go over everything in the song. Is this a good way to become a good guitarist to learn other artIsts songs?

That sounds like crap to me. Is this a licensed instructor or some guy on craigslist who can read tab so thinks he's a guitar teacher?
Depends. If you are just starting out, doing that to get a feel of the neck and learning your basics like chords and scales are great ways to start. If you are intermediate/advanced, take theory lessons.
If he is just teaching you songs and nothing else, then that is pretty useless.
I emailed him sone questions and this was his response, and idk if he's licensed. Ok- here's the questions you asked:

1. Do i agree that in order to play your own material, it's important to get a heavy load of songs under your belt?
2. would a better way to teach be to learn the free online way of learning open chords, then bar chords, then power chords, then memorize all the notes and learn rhythm patterns?
3. how much classical and music theory do i know?

so:
1. Depends. Off hand I'd say the answer is yes.
Generally that's the way I teach, because I think it's more efficient to learn chords BY playing songs YOU ALREADY KNOW. That part is very important.
If you learn to play a song you already know very well, you already know what it's supposed to sound like.*
So, if you make a mistake, or you play it right, your own ear will tell you, and you won't have to wait until your next lesson to find out you've been doing it all wrong.*
Of course that doesn't mean you'll catch all your mistakes, and won't need any help, but*
it greatly increases your own ability to correct yourself, which is really, really, really, --etc., important.*
Now, if all you want to do is play your own original material, and you already know*what you want it to sound like, and it doesn't sound like any other music you know,*
then you wouldn't need to learn songs, and could just jump into crafting your songs with as many chords as you can learn.*
But my guess is that you probably want to write music that bears some resemblance to music that's already out there, in which case learning songs like them, and possibly music that influenced music you like, would be the best way to go.

2. see answer to 1.! (ie .. no)
Basically, if you can learn the chords etc., online, and apply them in ways that you like, more power to ya!*
I still think learning songs with them will be the best way for you to really get to know them.*
Think of it like this, would it be better to learn how to drive a car by just learning how to turn the steering wheel, and pressing the gas and brake pedals?
Or by getting behind the wheel of a real car? At least you won't kill anyone with bad guitar playing!

3. I know lots of classical, jazz and etc., theory. How much do I know? That's kind of like asking me how much english I know. I don't know EVERYTHING, but then who does?
I know enough to be able to learn and analyze most simple songs just by listening to them.*
I know chord theory to a level of complexity far beyond the use of most modern pop music, and I can analyze any song or guitar solo and tell you within a 90% probability HOW the songs were written, what scales and approaches were used to write or play them, and how to come up with similar forms yourself, in any key.

SO:*
If you want to come and try a lesson with me, great. I'm pretty sure you'll like it, and my approach.
I generally sneak a little chord theory into most guitar lessons anyway, so if theory and song construction is what you want to learn,*
you've come to the right shop, as they say.
Useless unless you're applying theory you've learnt to the song.

He shouldn't have a set way of teaching every student aswell, he should be able to cater to each individuals needs.

My guitar teacher for instance teaches me theory and how to apply it to songwriting in particular at the moment because that's what i asked him.

You should have some idea of what it is you want to learn.

EDIT: The answer to whether or not guitar lessons are worth it is not one single answer. It depends on every individual. Depends how much you want it, how much money you make and how much you value money.

At the moment i'm only earning around $250 or so a week and every week i put $25 of that towards my guitar lesson. To me it's worth it, to others it might not be.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 10, 2012,
His line about learning songs you already know is excellent advice, it's incredible how many people try to learn songs when they don't even properly know what it's supposed to sound like.

From his responses I'd say he knows how to teach, which is far more important thant how "much" he knows about individual facets of playing the guitar. I am NOT a great guitarist, because I'm lazy - but I could teach somebody to be better than me because I know how to do stuff, what mistakes people make and I know how to explain it. Sometimes the better guitarists make worse teachers because they don't know how to explain the stuff they do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com