So i've got a MIM strat with one of those crappy thin lightweight tremolo blocks. I've also got a spare thick solid steel one i had made for me and i've heard upgrading the tremolo block can make a lot of difference to a guitar. If my solid steel tremolo block fits to my strat do you think it'd be worth upgrading or would it be a lot of hassle for either a minor or no difference at all?

All replies will be well appreciated im rather new to upgrades so go easy

Thanks People!!

Edit: Also what other upgrades would you recommend for a MIM Strat, other than the pickups cos it currently has 2 texas specials and a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates at the moment and i'm perfectly happy with those
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by MrWilson6 at Mar 10, 2012,
Changing the bridge in a strat is pretty easy, obviously worth reading about it/watching it done on youtube, but its pretty standard. If you are replacing the whole bridge setup (springs, anchoring claw etc) you would have to removed the earth wire and resolder it onto the new setup, but if you are simply replacing the block, you shouldn't have to do this.

One thing to keep an eye on will be the springs, putting a heavier block in will put the springs under more tension, depending on how old they are you may want to put a new set in, but they're relatively cheap
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
The springs are in brand new condition and im pretty sure there's three of em, do ya think four would be a better idea, cos it's a fairly heavy block??
Gear!!!!

Engl Screamer 50
It depends how you want the bridge set up, if you want to be able to move the tremolo arm with ease and you are going to be moving it over a great distance, fewer springs would mean less resistance (although that can be altered again by adjusting the screws holding the claw in). This may mean the bridge doesn't sit flush to the body.

If you use the tremolo in a more subtle fashion, you may want more springs (or tighten however may you have in with the claw) which will increase the resistance, making it harder to move the bridge. This way would have the bridge sitting flush againt the body if set up correctly.

Hope that made sense, it is basically just a matter of personal preference.
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
That makes perfect sense, Thank you very much for the help think i might give it a go
Gear!!!!

Engl Screamer 50
www.Guitarfetish.com has Brass replacement blocks for your style trem.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate