1.If I was about to do a 2 hours of alternate picking practicing (3x40 min) and 2 hours of sweeping(3x40min), would it be better to finish alternate picking and latter to practice sweeping, or to mix practice time like 40 min alt. picking, 40min sweeping, 40min alte. picking, 4o min sweeping ... What is better for brain to absord informations?
2. How often should I push myself and go beyond my comfortable speed to play faster and not get tha bad sloppy habits ? or should I even go beyond my comfortable speed ?
1. I would focus on one thing at a time, and add breaks. Like 10 min sweep, 10 min break 10 min sweep 10 min break is better than 40 min straight, then a break then again. Doing small segments and letting the brain/hands analyze it abit between works really great, atleast for me.

2. (This is probably where alot of people have very different opinions). I do not go out of my comfortable zone that often at all. I tend to practice relaxed and accurate at the max speed i can play relaxed and accurate and do as in advice 1. Like practice 10 min at my max speed then take a break and then do it again (during the time of maybe 1 hour). Then my speed will naturally increase in the time of a day/a couple of days/a weeks etc.

Has worked fine for me, but that dosent mean it'll work for you.

Everyone is different, you will simply have to test the advice you get with trail and error and then see what works best for you.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by kimi_page
1.If I was about to do a 2 hours of alternate picking practicing (3x40 min) and 2 hours of sweeping(3x40min), would it be better to finish alternate picking and latter to practice sweeping, or to mix practice time like 40 min alt. picking, 40min sweeping, 40min alte. picking, 4o min sweeping ... What is better for brain to absord informations?
Like Sickz, I think that more breaks would be good. And remember, when repeating a certain exercise, to keep a break after a few times and maybe shake your hand or something to relax it.

For organizing the practice I'd recommend trying something like 15 minutes of alternate picking, 2 minutes break, 15 minutes of sweeping, 2 minutes break, 15 minutes of alternate etc.. Though I feel that as a schedule, this seems kinda lacking. For growth as a musician you need to get your instincts something to work with and learn alot of stuff like arpeggios, different kind of scale patterns, intervals, ear training, chords and so much more. If this routine you have here is not just an example then I'd suggest thinking over your goals and see if this will actually get you there.

Quote by kimi_page
2. How often should I push myself and go beyond my comfortable speed to play faster and not get tha bad sloppy habits ? or should I even go beyond my comfortable speed ?
Bad habits should stay away as long as you end the practice with a few minutes with near perfect technique (given that you still tried to keep a perfect technique during the practice). Small bursts are a good way to not get stuck on a certain speed and find new ways to move, but remember to always practice an exercise slowly for the few last times before moving to the next one.
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Mar 10, 2012,
Make some mistakes during the exercise (time to time because of the repetition, or deconcentration, or bored etc... so not because I can't do it ) can make bad habits or it doesn't matter ?
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
How about this: For every hour you spend working on your machanics you spend one hour of buliding up repertoire, working on phrasing and expanding your musical vocabulary. It challenges your brain differently and you don´t end up with bendings and vibrato that suck ass.
Quote by Syndromed
Make some mistakes during the exercise (time to time because of the repetition, or deconcentration, or bored etc... so not because I can't do it ) can make bad habits or it doesn't matter ?
Make mistakes often and don't correct them and it will create bad habits, but the slow practicing when changing to the next exercise should counter the problem (but it won't "reverse" any bad habits you might've "started" unless you do it enough. So if you make mistakes like 5% of the time SLOW DOWN and practice that perfectly for a while before moving on)

I've read somewhere, can't remember where, that it takes around 500 repetitions of a movement for the muscles to start learning it by themselves (odd way to say it maybe, but I mean improvement after practice). With picking this is achieved very easily for better and for worse, so end your practice with a good while of perfect picking!
I must slow down just because I make mistakes 5 % of the time ... the power of the perfectionism :p

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna destroy these 5 % of mistakes. !
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by Unrelaxed

For organizing the practice I'd recommend trying something like 15 minutes of alternate picking, 2 minutes break, 15 minutes of sweeping, 2 minutes break, 15 minutes of alternate etc.. Though I feel that as a schedule, this seems kinda lacking. For growth as a musician you need to get your instincts something to work with and learn alot of stuff like arpeggios, different kind of scale patterns, intervals, ear training, chords and so much more. If this routine you have here is not just an example then I'd suggest thinking over your goals and see if this will actually get you there.

It's not really my practice schedule, it's just an example. I'm not doing only those two things like a robot
I practice legato, arpeggios, tapping, riffs, learning classisal compositions etc.

*StayBlack*

I usually don't practice sweeping more that a 1-1,5 hrs a day, but I abuse alternate picking, because that is the technique that I want to develop to the maximum. Sometimes I practice alternate picking more than 3,5 hrs per day, as I can't see the other way to reach the level where I will be able to play petrucci's and buckedhead's stuff.
thanks guys for reply
Last edited by kimi_page at Mar 10, 2012,
I like to focus on just a couple of techniques within a given day (if ample practice time is sufficiently available). Sometimes I might only get the time to practice one technique in the day, and that is still okay with me. I like to practice in 60-90 minute chunks, and take well-deserved breaks after those (I'll only do 2-3 of those chunks per day). I'm probably in the minority to practice a single technique for so long at a time though. It's just what works for me.
Quote by Sickz
1. I would focus on one thing at a time, and add breaks. Like 10 min sweep, 10 min break 10 min sweep 10 min break is better than 40 min straight, then a break then again. Doing small segments and letting the brain/hands analyze it abit between works really great, atleast for me.

Definitely this. I know that if i practised sweeping for 40 minutes straight i would start to get worse and very frustrated.
Quote by StayBlack
Dont you think 2 hours devoted to alternate or sweep picking is a bit overkill? You might burn yourself out. Even an hour of both of those would be plenty.

Everyone is bound to make mistakes during practice. Just try to make effort to fix sloppiness.

nah, its not even enough.
Quote by Slashiepie

I agree.. only one hour of alternate picking daily wouldn't get me so far
Quote by kimi_page
It's not really my practice schedule, it's just an example. I'm not doing only those two things like a robot
I practice legato, arpeggios, tapping, riffs, learning classisal compositions etc.

*StayBlack*

I usually don't practice sweeping more that a 1-1,5 hrs a day, but I abuse alternate picking, because that is the technique that I want to develop to the maximum. Sometimes I practice alternate picking more than 3,5 hrs per day, as I can't see the other way to reach the level where I will be able to play petrucci's and buckedhead's stuff.
thanks guys for reply

Buckethead plays some great slower stuff too..
But this goes up to 11
Quote by Slashiepie

Agree with this but little breaks help to recoup!!
But this goes up to 11