Just a question, perhaps even a discussion... These sweepstakes where you can win a guitar. Are any of them left handed guitars? Probably not right? So what do you do if you win but the guitar you got is right handed? Sell it ?
Play it like Hendrix. Or sell it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I was also thinking about selling it it's just a bit strange to sell a prize and then get one with the money.. Playing like Hendrix, haha i do that with my bro's acoustic but I'm not where close to being as good as Jimi. Breaking it on the stage sound funny but that'd be a waste

UG should make a left handed sweepstake... Of course most people won't like it since the majority are right handed players. lol
Interesting fact, being left or right handed only referrs to something you'd only use with one hand, like using a pen for example or catching something with one hand, both of which you'd naturally do with whichever hand you naturaly favour, but anything you use two hands for, such as eating with a knife and fork or playing a guitar is a learned habit.

For instance I know a left handed drummer who plays on a left handed set up drum kit, but who also plays guitar right handed.

He plays his kit in that manner because being naturaly left handed he just assumed that he'd need to learn to play the drums left handed when he first started, but the first time he played a guitar he just happened to picked it up right handed, and that's the way he happened to learn to play it.

Left handed guitars really are a rip off. They generaly cost around half as much again as a right handed model, but people who want to learn to play guitar who are left handed still buy them, because they think that that's the guitar they should be playing, but the fact is, if you've never really picked a guitar up in your life before, left or right handed, it makes no difference, both ways are gonna feel completely alien to you.

There really is no need for anyone to have to learn to play left handed and spend extra money buying left handed guitars.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 10, 2012,
^ Also, dat.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by SlackerBabbath
but anything you use two hands for, such as eating with a knife and fork or playing a guitar is a learned habit.

strange that you say that cause I was born in a family of right handed people and my bro played the right handed guitar of course I wanted to play it too but it was uncomfortable to play it like he has. And I've never held a guitar before so I guess it was a pretty natural thing for me to start playing it left handed way... I had trouble playing it right handed my fingers were slower than on my left hand.. And playing it upside down was hurting my brain to calculate where the f**** i should put my finger
Quote by Devilish Dave
strange that you say that cause I was born in a family of right handed people and my bro played the right handed guitar of course I wanted to play it too but it was uncomfortable to play it like he has. And I've never held a guitar before so I guess it was a pretty natural thing for me to start playing it left handed way... I had trouble playing it right handed my fingers were slower than on my left hand.. And playing it upside down was hurting my brain to calculate where the f**** i should put my finger

Consider this. Hendrix not only played left handed but also with the strings upside down, because he'd learned on a right handed guitar turned the other way up. I maintane that it's all about the way that you learn to play, not about which hand you naturaly favour.

Also, another bit of trivia. Right handed guitarists are probably playing their guitar the wrong way around... efficiency-wise

Think about it. A right handed guitarist plucks or strums the strings with his right hand while all the technicaly hard work of actualy making the notes is done with his left hand on the fretboard. So his least dexterous hand is doing most dextrous work.

And vice versa for lefties playing a left handed guitar.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Interesting fact, being left or right handed only referrs to something you'd only use with one hand, like using a pen for example or catching something with one hand, both of which you'd naturally do with whichever hand you naturaly favour, but anything you use two hands for, such as eating with a knife and fork or playing a guitar is a learned habit.

For instance I know a left handed drummer who plays on a left handed set up drum kit, but who also plays guitar right handed.

He plays his kit in that manner because being naturaly left handed he just assumed that he'd need to learn to play the drums left handed when he first started, but the first time he played a guitar he just happened to picked it up right handed, and that's the way he happened to learn to play it.

Left handed guitars really are a rip off. They generaly cost around half as much again as a right handed model, but people who want to learn to play guitar who are left handed still buy them, because they think that that's the guitar they should be playing, but the fact is, if you've never really picked a guitar up in your life before, left or right handed, it makes no difference, both ways are gonna feel completely alien to you.

There really is no need for anyone to have to learn to play left handed and spend extra money buying left handed guitars.

I think you're referring to pan-handedness, where each hand can do specific things. One may take a left stance in sports, yet write with their right hand. When I picked up a guitar for the first time, it was natural to play it left-handed immediately. When I tried playing it right-handed, I just couldn't. My left hand was much too slow, and my right hand not coordinated enough to do it.

Anyway, TS, just sell the guitar and drop an extra 300 dollars getting a left-handed one.
Quote by caeser1156
Your dick could still have a chick even if that chick had a dick
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Think about it. A right handed guitarist plucks or strums the strings with his right hand while all the technicaly hard work of actualy making the notes is done with his left hand on the fretboard. So his least dexterous hand is doing most dextrous work.

So many ways I can disagree with this. I just think it might be a bit inappropriate to write the examples
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Consider this. Hendrix not only played left handed but also with the strings upside down, because he'd learned on a right handed guitar turned the other way up. I maintane that it's all about the way that you learn to play, not about which hand you naturaly favour.

Also, another bit of trivia. Right handed guitarists are probably playing their guitar the wrong way around... efficiency-wise

Your previous post was great, but I'm going to have to disagree with this.

I'd say great picking is more difficult than great fretting.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
*stuff about hands*

Sounds like it makes logical sense, but I always thought it would be easier to play with your strongest hand as the timekeeper.
i.e. the hi-hat on drums, strumming on guitar etc.
I'm no drummer, but I've played left and right handed kits, just set up in college from whoever was playing them before and could never keep time with my left hand.

I like the point about upside down guitars though.
Benn Jordan (if anyone's heard of The Flashbulb) picked up someones right handed guitar and just flipped it over and learned it that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZD8N9tDDQT4#t=163s
The problem with 'going Hendrix' is that you can get some of the guitar's pots in the way.

Plus, some guitars' cutaways may make it nearly impossible to reach the 15th-17th fret.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
There is so much wrong in this thread.......
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
There's a band called Gentleman Caller, where the lead singer guy plays lefty, but it's a right-handed guitar upside-down. Not re-stringed in Hendrix fashion, either, just an upside-down righty guitar.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.