I saw this offered at Berklee College...sounds pretty awesome. I am just wondering, do these degrees lead you into careers (from your experiences, research, etc). I realize many people say degrees are not necessary for the music industry but I am just curious on various opinions.

Would you ever consider studying a degree in music or is it just too limited?
I considered a degree in music for quite a long time. As much as I love music and learning new things about it.. I just couldn't commit to it. The fact is, any arts degree is high risk. You put a lot of time and money into it, but with less a chance of getting anything out of it in the end. So now I'm going for computer science I've had the weirdest major changes in my career

I still plan on "double minoring" and getting one in music, and maybe even one day going back to school to get a B.A. or something. As far as a masters degree goes, I doubt it. As I said, I love music, but it will probably just remain a hobby for me.

That's my two cents anyway.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I considered a degree in music for quite a long time. As much as I love music and learning new things about it.. I just couldn't commit to it. The fact is, any arts degree is high risk. You put a lot of time and money into it, but with less a chance of getting anything out of it in the end. So now I'm going for computer science I've had the weirdest major changes in my career

I still plan on "double minoring" and getting one in music, and maybe even one day going back to school to get a B.A. or something. As far as a masters degree goes, I doubt it. As I said, I love music, but it will probably just remain a hobby for me.

That's my two cents anyway.

I was/am in the same boat as you. Didn't feel comfortable with the risk/return of a music degree. I am now studying Math, Econ and minoring in Music. Just do yourself a favor if you decide to pursue music as a career, have a good fall back plan.
i'm working on my undergrad as a performance major and i love going to school for music. the whole risk with being a musician for a living is the scariest jobs you can get, but if you truely love it you won't care, i know i don't. i gig regularly and teach on the side, it's just a way of making ends meet, and everyone's path is different.

i used to think berklee was like the best choice to make but at the end of the day it's like, the last choice i would make. because you are asking about the film scoring degree that kinda nulls it out, thats one of the only schools in the states that you can get a degree in film scoring. but for something like that when you won't necessarily be playing as much as you'll be composing, a degree would be great. you're right the music business is dicey with degrees, it's all about who you know, you'll get work faster by word of mouth than any degree or resume, but the fact that you have them makes you come across as someone who takes what they do seriously. and that goes a long way, guys never remember regular musicians, but you'll ALWAYS remember the bad ones.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'm going to school for scoring. It seems like the most stable music job you could have outside of teaching what with independent games and movies happening. The people you meet in school, assuming you form a tight enough band, would be good for keeping your name out there amongst those who need to hear it. Then there's T.V jingles, T.V music. You could even play on some things instead of just writing for things. I'm awful, terrible at math and science is fun, but it comes right back to me being bad at math.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I doubt it. As I said, I love music, but it will probably just remain a hobby for me.
Quote by dvm25
I saw this offered at Berklee College...sounds pretty awesome. I am just wondering, do these degrees lead you into careers (from your experiences, research, etc). I realize many people say degrees are not necessary for the music industry but I am just curious on various opinions.

USC has a film scoring program, as well.

I don't know about video games. I know that the film scoring industry is insanely competitive. If you can get in that top tier it's very lucrative, but that top tier is, what, three people? (I'm not exagerating: John Williams, Danny Elfman, James Newton Howard).

A lot more people work in the field, of course. I know that John Williams has sub-composers working for him who do a lot of the work. But even by the standards of careers in the film industry, it's insanely competitive.
Quote by HotspurJr

A lot more people work in the field, of course. I know that John Williams has sub-composers working for him who do a lot of the work..

Your thinking of Hanz Zimmer.

John Williams has an orchestrater.
Berklee is not currently offering any masters, unless you meant the new Valencia campus. There are just undergrad bachelors. USC is the one that offers media scoring Masters.

While it doesn't really matter if you have a master or a bachelor's, you'd be hardpressed to get into this industry from the ground up if you aren't in a program like these two. Technical and musical knowledge aside, the exposure and resources you get about the industry is invaluable and key to what you need to get started.

The benefit of these programs...or at least in Berklee, you get a realistic expectation of what you will be doing as you get started in the industry. For most people, that means you're not going to be writing the music. All I can do is sigh when I see people, especially in here, who ask about how to become a video game or film composer, when they don't even the know the slightest bit about either the industry itself or the specifics of scoring.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana