Hey, so I'm an advanced guitar player but I have little knowledge about guitars, types of woods, pickups etc. I want a high quality guitar which would give me the perfect tone on records. So far I need it mainly for home and studio recording, I'll be using amp sims(I only have one rather crappy practice amp), no live shows anywhere ahead. Money is not really a question for me, I am prepared to spend a lot on the guitar, no semi-good crap.

I've got two styles which I follow: funkrock(rhcp style) and metal. I know these two may be hard to merge together regarding guitar type, but I'm pretty sure there is a guitar which can handle both.

Could you please recommend me some guitars? Or if there is a link somewhere on characteristics of varios types of guitars, woods, etc. that would be cool.
If you are using amp sims then I would get a Gibson Les Paul that has coil taps and I would go for Burst Bucker pickups. My Les Paul studio deluxe has a Burst Bucker pro in the bridge and a 490r in the neck with coil taps. I can get any sound out of that guitar and it is very good quality, and its only a studio. And make sure its not weight relieved or chambered. It keeps the tone dark for metal.
Last edited by Zeppoholic at Mar 10, 2012,
This is a good guide on the different woods: http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/WoodDescriptions.aspx

This explains pickups: http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

Personally if I were you I'd go for a Stratocaster HSS (humbucker-single coil-single coil). Humbuckers are essential to playing metal. John Frusciante plays Strats almost exclusively so they would go good for the RHCP style funk rock you mentioned.
Quote by Zeppoholic
If you are using amp sims then I would get a Gibson Les Paul that has coil taps and I would go for Burst Bucker pickups. My Les Paul studio deluxe has a Burst Bucker pro in the bridge and a 490r in the neck with coil taps. I can get any sound out of that guitar and it is very good quality, and its only a studio. And make sure its not weight relieved or chambered. It keeps the tone dark for metal.

Bullshit. Gibson les Paul's are awesome guitars, I have one , but they will not suit your needs.
Get a high end ibanez guitar with a good Floyd rose (make sure that's it's not an Edge III) and it should be HSH (humbucker neck and bridge, single coil middle).
2) chambered guitars are fine for metal. Les Paul's are very dark anyway.

What's your budget?
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Bullshit. Gibson les Paul's are awesome guitars, I have one , but they will not suit your needs.
Get a high end ibanez guitar with a good Floyd rose (make sure that's it's not an Edge III) and it should be HSH (humbucker neck and bridge, single coil middle).
2) chambered guitars are fine for metal. Les Paul's are very dark anyway.

What's your budget?

Well I don't really know my budget yet. But it's quite high, it could climb up to 1000e if I really tried. I want a professional guitar.

I haven't really decided yet whether I want a floyd rose, but probably, yes. I understand that for a cleaner, sharper tone I want to use single-coil pickup and for warmer tones the humbuckers, right? How does the pickup position influence the sound?
Last edited by Kabur at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Kabur
Well I don't really know my budget yet. But it's quite high. I want a professional guitar.

I haven't really decided yet whether I want a floyd rose, but probably, yes. I understand that for a cleaner, sharper tone I want to use single-coil pickup and for warmer tones the humbuckers, right? How does the pickup position influence the sound?

The bridge position will be brighter, tighter and slightly twangier. The middle position is very similar to the neck position, maybe slightly brighter but since there'll be a single coil in the middle it'll sound pretty different.

Humbuckers wont necessarily give a brighter tone, they are higher output so they'll give a more powerful and tighter distortion and they are also hum cancelling which also makes them better for distortion cos single coils can get very noisy on high gain..
Single coils generally sound "cleaner" and more defined and they have a certain bite that humbuckers don't have. Humbuckers are more versatile than single coils but both pickups have there own advantages.

Humbuckers are generally used for most things: Jazz, Heavy Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and so forth but single coils will be better for funk, clean blues, and they are also great for light gain. Of course, you can choose how to use your own pickups, if single coils work for high gain for you then that's fine.

If you get a good floyd rose then thats great bad bad ones are just an unusable pain in the ass. All high end ibanez's come with good floyd roses. Changing strings and set ups on a floyd rose are also extremely annoying and i'd get a tech to do it.
If money is no issue, you should get an Axe FX instead of a super expensive guitar when you don't have any proper ampage. (lol)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks, any tips on particular brand and/or wood type?

Also, if there's a single-coil pickup on the neck position only, as with the ESP guitar linked above, does it not lower the clean tone magic in the single-coil?
Quote by MonsterMetalMus

That ESP is awesome but it won't be good for funk, the pickups are way to high output. Also, those scalloped will be a huge pain getting used to.

These guitars may be good for you:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S5470Q

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3570Z

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3550MZ

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG370DX (this one is especially thin and sexy).

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG470MH (this one is much cheaper but has crap pickups).
Quote by Kabur
Hey, so I'm an advanced guitar player but I have little knowledge about guitars, types of woods, pickups etc. I want a high quality guitar which would give me the perfect tone on records. So far I need it mainly for home and studio recording, I'll be using amp sims(I only have one rather crappy practice amp), no live shows anywhere ahead. Money is not really a question for me, I am prepared to spend a lot on the guitar, no semi-good crap.

I've got two styles which I follow: funkrock(rhcp style) and metal. I know these two may be hard to merge together regarding guitar type, but I'm pretty sure there is a guitar which can handle both.

Could you please recommend me some guitars? Or if there is a link somewhere on characteristics of varios types of guitars, woods, etc. that would be cool.

the answer will really depend on exactly what kind of amp sims you are using. honestly many sims can't really tell the difference between a decent epi LP and an actual 59 gibby LP. my POD doesn't really see much difference between my strats despite there being big differences in pickups etc. when played through my gear you can tell the difference no problem. if all you are doing is home based recording that doesn't involve micing amps then getting a guitar that plays well for you is more important than worry about it being some great high end axe. unless you are using something like Pro-tools or an Axe-Fx unit you won't get noticeably better results. even if you are using those they can make up for any issues you might have. not saying to get a cheap guitar but no need to spend huge piles of cash either.
Why favor Ibanez over, say Fender, Gibson, Epiphone? I've played one Ibanez and it felt awesome, but what's the real difference?
yeah amp gives you most of your sound. no point in getting a good guitar is you have a horrible amp. best thing to do is vut your guitar budget in half and get a new amp and guitar like i did.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
PRS Studio model it has a HB in the bridge (coil splitable) and 2 narrow feild pickups in the center and neck. It is an extremely versitile guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Money no issue? Axefx+jp6 combo.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
man, if you have as little knowledge about guitars and how they sound as it seems, you have got to go to a shop and play some.

I don't mean to be condescending, but you have to play a number of guitars to know which suit you. if you really have no idea, go to a shop and play a variety of guitars. that will start to give you a sense of what you like, need and don't like. from there, we can help you narrow it down. as it sits, there are simply too many possibilities for us to be of much help at all.
Well of course. I am not even considering buying anything without trying it out. It's just that I wanted to collect as much information as possible and then go to a shop to play the guitars

When I ask a question, it doesn't mean I have no idea about it, just that I want to see what people have to say about it.
Last edited by Kabur at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Kabur
Why favor Ibanez over, say Fender, Gibson, Epiphone? I've played one Ibanez and it felt awesome, but what's the real difference?

1) Epiphones are budget versions of gibsons. If you're gonna get a Gibson then get a real one. Oh, and if you see comments on YouTube or other forums about Epiphone being "the new gibson" and better than Gibson ignore them. The people saying that are noobs who will never be able to afford a real gibson and compensate by saying that there $200 guitar is better.

2) Ibanez are just as good as fender and Gibson and vise-versa but for your needs specifically it'd be best to get an Ibanez. They have very thin and fast necks which is great for metal and a floyd rose is also cool. The middle single coil will also allow some pretty cool funk tones.
Definitely an ibanez. I'd say go to custom shop. Just be sure that, you get a high output bridge humbucker, paf output neck humbucker and a true single coil pickup for the mid with moderate output. RG3550 seems nice, but if you go for J-Custom that's better.
How did you get so good at guitar without knowing much about them? Just curious.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by Kabur
Well of course. I am not even considering buying anything without trying it out. It's just that I wanted to collect as much information as possible and then go to a shop to play the guitars

When I ask a question, it doesn't mean I have no idea about it, just that I want to see what people have to say about it.

I know that a question does not inherently imply complete ignorance, but stating that you have little knowledge (in the first post) does suggest some limitations.

what I am suggesting is that you go to a shop not to confirm or rule out an option, but to get a sense of what your options are. the reality of guitars is that they are very subjective, and its nearly impossible to accurately recommend one with such limited parameters. essentially, its impossible to suggest a guitar you'll like if we have no idea what you like. this isn't a question of going to a store to narrow down options and test out specifically mentioned guitars; you need to go in a play some of everything to get a sense of what features you like, the shape you like, necks you like and so on.
Well my dad used to be a guitarist back in the day, now he only plays camp fire guitar, you know. So I borrowed his spanish guitar, learned the guitar basics, a bit of classical music and when I wanted to move onto electric guitar, he gave me his old hand-made piece. Which is quite terrible, for today's standards, so I borrowed a friend's guitar, which is not that bad but now I want my own guitar for serious recording.

That's why I never researched anything about guitars, I just plugged in what he gave me and played. I don't consider myself being a really good guitarist, I practice too little, but I get by. I also play drums as my main instrument, so I want to get into composing hardcore(vst instruments, amp sims etc.).
Quote by Kabur
Well my dad used to be a guitarist back in the day, now he only plays camp fire guitar, you know. So I borrowed his spanish guitar, learned the guitar basics, a bit of classical music and when I wanted to move onto electric guitar, he gave me his old hand-made piece. Which is quite terrible, for today's standards, so I borrowed a friend's guitar, which is not that bad but now I want my own guitar for serious recording.

That's why I never researched anything about guitars, I just plugged in what he gave me and played. I don't consider myself being a really good guitarist, I practice too little, but I get by. I also play drums as my main instrument, so I want to get into composing hardcore(vst instruments, amp sims etc.).

if thats the case, you have to go play stuff. there is simply too great a variety not to narrow it down somewhat for yourself.
Ye, mkay. I'd just like to know if there is a certain brand or anything that I should avoid. Say because of instable floyd rose, bad pickups or whatever.
Quote by Kabur

That's why I never researched anything about guitars, I just plugged in what he gave me and played. I don't consider myself being a really good guitarist, I practice too little, but I get by.

So roughly how long have you been playing for? Is it possible you may want to play any other genres in the future?
Quote by Kabur
Ye, mkay. I'd just like to know if there is a certain brand or anything that I should avoid. Say because of instable floyd rose, bad pickups or whatever.

depends on what you really want to spend. you mentioned that your budget is large, but what exactly do you mean by alot of money?

there are plenty of guitars to avoid in the $500 range, far fewer to avoid at $5000. additionally, there are simply too many buy and don't buy recommendations to be made if you don't narrow it down somewhat
I've been playing for.. I guess three years. I won't say it isn't possible, but regarding guitar, I will stay in funkrock and metal. I will do a bit of orchestral composing as well, but that is besides this.

Now that I know a little more, I could say my budget is 1000e. And I will try to aim for a HSH floyd rose Ibanez, if there are a few in my local shops.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Get a high end ibanez guitar with a good Floyd rose (make sure that's it's not an Edge III)

Why exactly is Edge III so bad?
I've never played one, but I've heard that cheap double lockers go out of tune easily and stuff. You wouldn't be able to play much Slayer, that's for sure.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Yeah, I think Ibanez HSH sounds right for those genres. I think they are pretty versatile and will also work if you are going to change your style. Oh, and you could buy a used Ibanez for something like 500€ and then buy a real amp for 500€ (if you want to spend 1000&euro. Amp is also an important thing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by StrykVladzimsky
How did you get so good at guitar without knowing much about them? Just curious.

It happens sometimes believe it or not. I used to be in a metal band with a guy that could shred and write riffs like there was no tomorrow, but when it came to gear he knew nothing. He thought getting a Spider half stack would be a HUGE upgrade from a Peavey Bandit and good distortion pedal.

Back on topic, as others have said, it seems like a good Ibanez would suit you well. The single coil will be great for the more strat like tones but it'll still be able to handle really heavy stuff as well. The low end ones are meh, but looking at your budget you should easily be able to get at least a used Prestige model.
Well, wood-wise, that depends if you want a warm/dark tone or a bright tone. Personally, I prefer Mahogany over most other woods, but I've heard that Walnut and Koa can get pretty nice warm tones too. On the bright side of things, you'd want to look for Maple and Alder.

Well, that's what I've noticed anyway.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Okay thanks for the tips a lot guys. This little guy will be my friend for the next few years: http://images.wikia.com/ibanez/images/d/dd/RG1570_SDB.gif Ibanez RG1570 SDB for 914e with included solid case and a belt

I tried out a bunch of other guitars, a Fender, Carvin, Cort and of all of them this Ibanez sounded and felt the best and since it got recommended by you, I went for it. Thanks again.
Last edited by Kabur at Mar 25, 2012,
Talk to the gigging pros and luthiers in your locale. At 1000€, you can afford a medium to entry-high end production guitar from most big brands, and could even get a custom guitar from certain luthiers. If you can swing it, I'd go the latter route: you'll get EXACTLY what you're looking for.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!