Has anyone given this a shot?

(Invalid img)

I've just begun using it because you can get an app for it on smartphones and tablets and after posting a few times I've picked it up fairly quickly. I haven't hit my QWERTY speed of ~100 wpm yet but I'm expected to pass that mark pretty soon, its a cool layout to easily try if you use a virtual keyboard often (physical Dvorak requires more effort).

It is designed to make you type faster because a lot of words are "left right left right", whereas QWERTY was designed to prevent typewriters from jamming.
Last edited by RPGoof at Mar 10, 2012,
I think the layout is supposed to be more intuitive.

I'd switch to it merely to foil those who attempt to use my computer.
Its designed to allow you to type faster as a lot of words with this layout require a more "left right left right" motion, whereas I believe QWERTY was designed to prevent typewriters from jamming.

And its cool to be a hipster
Fuuuuuuuuuck

I thiought this was some 19th Centuary Pianoforte keyboard layout.

I lost my erection.

On a similar 'note' i live pc keyboard vsts which make you use the pc keyboard for keys. makes sense to me given how often we all use the pc keyboard.
Quote by MakinLattes
I think the layout is supposed to be more intuitive.

I'd switch to it merely to foil those who attempt to use my computer.

lol when I read the OP I thought the same thing! cbf actually learning that though, if its faster it just means I have to work harder
This layout works best for typing with your thumbs, and that's the idea. As the OP said, it's meant for left, right, left letter combos, whereas the modern keyboard was meant so that mechanical typewriters didn't jam when crossing arms collided and stuck.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Fuuuuuuuuuck

I lost my erection.

On a similar 'note' i live pc keyboard vsts which make you use the pc keyboard for keys. makes sense to me given how often we all use the pc keyboard.

I've got similar VSTs but they are a bit of a pain to actually use
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Fuuuuuuuuuck

I lost my erection.

Yeah, I once had the thought of using a midi keyboard (or two, maybe with pedals like an organ) as a computer keyboard to see if one could acquire some manner of key instrument skills without really trying.

Obviously it wouldn't do all the work.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.

I dunno, seems way more complicated. Plus everyone's used to QWERTY. I think it'd be hard to switch over.

Edit: Is that what it even looks like?
Not worth the trouble of switching. I can type on a QWERTY keyboard without looking at a pretty fast speed and it's not worth learning something else that nobody actually uses.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Given that pretty much every computer other than your own will be using QWERTY, and people who actually need faster typing speeds are usually obsessive or just screwing around, I don't get the benefit.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
What are the advantages to using that?

This and also gaming? WASD IS ****ED.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
This and also gaming? WASD IS ****ED.

,AOE
Just remap the controls.

I'd switch but I don't think I can switch the physical keys on my laptop.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I was gonna try to get proficient at it this summer but then I got depressed and decided not to do anything.
The keyboard at my work is a ''french'' keyboard, as in france french. some letters are switched, the numbers on top only work if you press shift, and you have to do shift+semicolon to put in a period.

I've been to french schools all my life, all you do is switch the keyboard to french. But this, this actual french keyboard, its just ****ed lol i dont know how they use it
If I attempted to switch keyboard it would take me 'til the heat death of the universe before I became accustomed to it. Takes me an hour or so to be able to type proficiently on differently spaced qwerty keyboard.

I fail to see the point of learning dvorak: it means that you will effectively be hindered any time you try and use a public/someone else's computer.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
I fail to see the point of learning dvorak: it means that you will effectively be hindered any time you try and use a public/someone else's computer.

If you use your own computer for say 90% of your computer usage (definitely possible if not a certainty for the average webgoer) then using a more efficient layout could increase productivity/efficiency when typing.

DVORAK is supposed to be stupidly quick after all once you have it down, what with QWERTY having been created to actively slow down proficient typists.
Quote by Todd Hart

Wut? Do you think you're gonna forget how to type w/ qwerty if you learn dvorak or something?
Quote by due 07
Wut? Do you think you're gonna forget how to type w/ qwerty if you learn dvorak or something?

...Yes?

It stands to reason that if you retrain your muscle memory to a new layout, the old one will feel alien to you.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by SG_dave
If you use your own computer for say 90% of your computer usage (definitely possible if not a certainty for the average webgoer) then using a more efficient layout could increase productivity/efficiency when typing.

DVORAK is supposed to be stupidly quick after all once you have it down, what with QWERTY having been created to actively slow down proficient typists.

I can't say as I've ever noticed a lack of efficiency in my typing, or any issue with typing over extended periods. Yes, I know qwerty was invented to slow typist down (well, not strictly true - I was spaced so that adjacent letters were rarely used together in order to prevent typewriters from jamming, which isn't quite the same) but it's still not difficult: at least not difficult enough to inspire me into taking up another keyboard layout that will alienate me from qwerty and thus make any work I do away from home a pain.

Quote by due 07

Not forget, but if you retrain your muscles and brain to work with a new keyboard layout then you'll inevitably become less proficient in the use of another.
Quote by Todd Hart
Not forget, but if you retrain your muscles and brain to work with a new keyboard layout then you'll inevitably become less proficient in the use of another.

Lol. Get better muscle memory, pussy.
Quote by due 07
Lol. Get better muscle memory, pussy.

...what?
Probably me clinging to my 150WPM, but no, I don't see a point to Dvorak. It takes too much work to learn (I'm a lazy bastard, and you should be too), especially when there are more important things to worry about, and how many people can actually genuinely benefit from the increased typing speeds?

Could probably make your trolling on the Pit more efficient though.
My head would explode if I tried to type on that.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Isn't Dvorak supposed to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome? That's always what I heard about it.

EDIT: Or rather, it's less likely to result in that.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.