http://obrag.org/?p=55812&cpage=1

Not the most neutral source, but I chose that one over other articles because it does a good job explaining the basic outline of what the bill is supposed to be portrayed as, and what the actual goals of the bill are.

So yeah, if you want to exercise your right to peacefully gather under the constitution, then screw you. Only Ron Paul and two other nameless congressmen voted against it.

Oh you, America.

EDIT:

Here's a link to the bill itself: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr347enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr347enr.pdf

Official Statement from the white house press secretary:

H.R. 347, the “Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011,” which makes it a Federal crime to enter or remain knowingly in any restricted area of the White House, the Vice President’s official residence, or their respective grounds without lawful authority.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/03/08/statement-press-secretary-hr-347

TL;DR for Non-Americans: The Secret Service can now overstep normal protectionary bounds in arresting those peacefully gathering.

TL;DR for Americans: Dat shit cray, yo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 10, 2012,
Wat ?

That goes pretty much against the whole idea of America AND it's constitution.

How can a bill beat a constitution ?
Ain't that some shit?
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
AMERICA!!!

In other news, Wackenhut stocks just shot up astronomically.

edit

My bad, that's G4S stocks now (Wackenhut was bought out by a Danish corporation). And what a coincidence, G4S stocks are at an all-time high. Rejoice America, oversea investors are getting rich by sending as many of you as they can to prison.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Mar 10, 2012,
Is this the bill people are calling the "Anti-OWS" bill?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Is this the bill people are calling the "Anti-OWS" bill?

Yes.
Quote by Kutless Rocker
Revolution, I say!

Seriously this, as long as the power structures are maintained, more often than not, the new boss is the same as the old boss.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
^ That's the point.

Actually this is BS. Most of what will be allowed under this is already in place.
http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/how-big-deal-hr-347-criminalizing-protest-bill

The bill slightly rewrites a short trespass law, originally passed in 1971 and amended a couple of times since, that covers areas subject to heightened Secret Service security measures. These restricted areas include locations where individuals under Secret Service protection are temporarily located, and certain large special events like a presidential inauguration. They can also include large public events like the Super Bowl and the presidential nominating conventions (troublingly, the Department of Homeland Security has significant discretion in designating what qualifies as one of these special events).

God people on this forum are retarded.
Quote by WaterGod
God people on this forum are retarded.

Did protesters face long prison sentences before this amendment?

H.R. 347 did make one noteworthy change, which may make it easier for the Secret Service to overuse or misuse the statute to arrest lawful protesters.

Not insignificant.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Did protesters face long prison sentences before this amendment?

It's important to note — contrary to some reports — that H.R. 347 doesn't create any new crimes, or directly apply to the Occupy protests. The bill slightly rewrites a short trespass law, originally passed in 1971 and amended a couple of times since, that covers areas subject to heightened Secret Service security measures.

It's illegal to trespass on places that are already illegal to trespass on.

Edit: And I don't see how this even applys to Occupy Wallstreet. Why would they be doing something about it know if it has already calmed down?
Last edited by WaterGod at Mar 10, 2012,
I'm having trouble seeing the problems with the bill everyone else is. I don't see how this will keep people or OWS from protesting. The problems I see are how harsh the sentences are, and the fact that DHS has jurisdiction.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Ah, some what similar to the UK a few years ago over petrol price protesting. It's now effectively illegal to protest over petrol prices due to anti-terrorism legislation

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I'm having trouble seeing the problems with the bill everyone else is. I don't see how this will keep people or OWS from protesting. The problems I see are how harsh the sentences are, and the fact that DHS has jurisdiction.

Read the White House quote and TL;DR in the OP.
Quote by WaterGod
It's illegal to trespass on places that are already illegal to trespass on.

Problem is that now this law has been made more vague and can be applied in more situations with greater penalties.

Edit: And I don't see how this even applys to Occupy Wallstreet. Why would they be doing something about it know if it has already calmed down?

Because it could very well heat up again? **** protesting in the cold. If government really wanted to stop protesters they should be working on global cooling.

In other news:

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/48882
Quote by JustRooster
Read the White House quote and TL;DR in the OP.

why should people be aloud to protest in the White House?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Why am I not surprised.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Wait, I'm confused.

The impression I got was that it's illegal now to trespass on the White House grounds?

Because as far as I knew that was already illegal.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
why should people be aloud to protest in the White House?

Why would people want to protest in the White House? Wouldn't it be better to protest outside of it, where it's in the public eye?
I've never understood America's fetish with its constitution. It's a flawed document, why hold so dearly to it?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, I'm confused.

The impression I got was that it's illegal now to trespass on the White House grounds?

Because as far as I knew that was already illegal.

The problem is with the first page of the bill. It is against disrupting government or protesting on "restricted buildings" (it never defines what a restricted building is) and the sentences can be up to 10 years.

Quote by Todd Hart
I've never understood America's fetish with its constitution. It's a flawed document, why hold so dearly to it?

I don't like it either, to be honest. I understand that it protects rights and such, but I think it hinders our progress. I think there needs to be a new, adaptable, more flexible constitution written, but I suppose that could be dangerous.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by apmaman
For non Americans is there a TL;DR

They pretty much said you are slowly losing your rights and you can't do a thing about it
Quote by neidnarb11890
Image is about having hot licks & rock star swag, not fancy amps.

Quote by garden of grey
That's what the Illuminati wants you to think, man