From the 1st fret.

I have been trying this annoying chord for a quite some time.
I can ring the notes one by one, but whenever I want to play all the strings together, there is (usually) this ugly thud on the 5th string. I think it's because my middle finger doesn't curl completely over the 5th string, or because my index finger lacks strength. Don't know which one it is.
I also tried to have my elbow close to my body, but it the chord still work.

My index finger has actually developed a blister >_>, and now it hurts when I try to play the F-chord with it. So I'm currently trying to play it with my middle, ring and pinky. I really want to learn this one, cause right now, it's the only major head chord I can't do (and it's irritating).

Does anybody have any tips, mastering this mountain of a chord?

On a side note. I have managed to learn the B major chord (from the 2nd fret), by using my pinky to play the strings on the 4th fret. Is this a bad habit?
It's probably just a matter of finger strength. If you want an easier variation of the chord you can put your thumb over the fretboard and play all the same notes but leave out the low f. It makes it lose a little bass but still sounds like an f chord. This makes it easier to bar the rest of the first fret. Do this until you build up more finger strength.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Practice is always the answer.

Don't know if the way you're playing the B chord is truly a bad habit, but if it is then it's a bad habit I have as well, I've been doing it that way for years now.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I started off playing the F chord like funkbass described, which i still found difficult at first, but i got the hang of it. Then i started learning jack johnson songs which uses all the barre chords for that choppy feeling and it really brings up your finger strength for the Major chords and i started doing the full barre version. It really is just a matter of finger strength and practicing! You'll get the hang of it
Just build up your finger strength, and keep practicing.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Learning to play it wrong because your finger hurts is not the answer.

Try moving your index finger up a little bit, so your knuckle isn't lined up with the strings that are getting muffled. Mind you this will only work on E string barre chords, so in the end practice is the only solution.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I have tried funkbass' method, and it works ok. I think I'm going to stick with that, until I have more finger strength
Hi !
I want to know one problem which related with my finger, when I play guitar. So I want to know what is good technique to play on guitar without any finger pain.
rafting in rishikesh
Quote by mike_oxbig
Learning to play it wrong because your finger hurts is not the answer.

Try moving your index finger up a little bit, so your knuckle isn't lined up with the strings that are getting muffled. Mind you this will only work on E string barre chords, so in the end practice is the only solution.

Wrong? You still use all the notes of the F major triad, there's nothing wrong about it at all.

Anyway, make sure you're using the side of your index finger and have it up high, like this:

http://i42.tinypic.com/10hu4no.jpg

Don't have it too low:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dtr7l4.jpg

Or flat:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2cet45l.jpg

It should be the side, and up high.

And yeah, this is good too if you can't do a barr:
http://i39.tinypic.com/35mqr9i.jpg

There's nothing "wrong" about it. Was hendrix wrong? I don't think so. Playing it like this is a lot more versatile anyway.
Since no one else mentioned it... Have the action at the nut checked by a technician, or go to the Frets.com page and check it yourself.
Many guitars are shipped with the action at the nut rather high, since manufacturers know that picky guitarists will have it adjusted to their preference and it's much easier to lower than it is to raise...
If the action is just a bit too high, it can make playing barres or 4-finger chords much more difficult than they should be.
Easy way to check... Apply a capo. If it's easier with a capo, you need an adjustment.
Quote by Bikewer
Since no one else mentioned it... Have the action at the nut checked by a technician, or go to the Frets.com page and check it yourself.
Many guitars are shipped with the action at the nut rather high, since manufacturers know that picky guitarists will have it adjusted to their preference and it's much easier to lower than it is to raise...
If the action is just a bit too high, it can make playing barres or 4-finger chords much more difficult than they should be.
Easy way to check... Apply a capo. If it's easier with a capo, you need an adjustment.

This. High action will make it quite difficult.

I feel it really helps to learn how to play this chord because if you can play it at the first fret, you can play a barre chord anywhere on the neck. So, a little drill I learned to build up stregth is to barre the 5th fret and get an A major chord (same shape as the F) Switch to Dm (which is the same shape just shifted over with your root on the 5th sting. Then back to the A. Move down to the 4th fret and do the same thing until you get to the 1st fret. Then go back up etc. At first, as you move toward the 1st fret you will lose the clear sound, but if you do that for a couple minutes a day you will eventually get it.

Oh, and I play the B with my pinky as the 2nd barre too. Haven't had a problem.