Raspberry Pi is a computer about the size of a credit card. The first batch of 10,000 units went on sale Feb. 29th and sold out within hours.

The devices should become available again in about a month to six weeks according to the executive director of the Foundation. The Raspberry Pi is available at either Premier Farnell or RS Components in the UK and Newark in the US.

The single board Linux device was created by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, a non-profit organization. The goal for the device is to encourage people to learn programming. The foundation plans to release two versions, the $35 Model B and a $25 Model A.

Here are the specs of the Model B.

Raspberry Pi Linux Specs

SoC Broadcom BCM2835 (CPU, GPU, DSP, and SDRAM)
CPU: 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core (ARM11 family)
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV, OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder
Memory (SDRAM): 256 Megabytes (MiB)
Video outputs: Composite RCA, HDMI
Audio outputs: 3.5 mm jack, HDMI
Onboard storage: SD, MMC, SDIO card slot
10/100 Ethernet RJ45 onboard network
Storage via SD/ MMC/ SDIO card slot

(If anyone wants to teach this noob how to embed videos, I got some sweet vids of it too )
Last edited by newbphil at Mar 10, 2012,
Ah yes, but can it run Crysis?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
You can only link to videos: (

Anyhoo, thats cool but considering the specs and the capabilities and size of todays smartphones its nothing new :/
Guys, the point isn't for this to be your new fun little gadget. This thing is hyper-moddable. Get a little stoned and think of the possibilities of a CREDIT CARD SIZED computer. You could empty out a gameboy and hook this bitch up to it. You could fit multiple carputers into your vehicle. It also makes a really cheap, 1080p-capable media player. Don't think of this as a replacement for your $2000 gaming machine...
not sure if adbot
Edit: big deal. Phones these days are slightly larger and more powerful
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by newbphil
Raspberry Pi Linux Specs

Audio outputs: 3.5 mm jack, HDMI
Onboard storage: SD, MMC, SDIO card slot

I saw an article somewhere in which some retarded reporter said it had a "linux processor". She went on to say that the cheaper version was no-frills and didn't come with a keyboard or monitor - implying the more expensive one does

Also, a HDMI output doesn't mean it can play HD video. If a £300 netbook struggles to do so, this hasn't got a hope in hell.
Quote by captainsnazz
I actually find this pretty interesting. I've been looking for a nice microcomputer that I could possibly use as a complex, programmable effects pedal. Might get myself one of these and have a go.
Also, have a look at this: http://arduino.cc/

considering the fact that most of the amp modelling software run on windows, you need bad ass programming skills for that.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Mar 10, 2012,
Actually the Raspberry Pi is pretty cool. Right now Canonical is trying to produce a smartphone that when connected to a monitor and a keyboard runs ubuntu, since android already uses some kind of linux kernel I think is might be possible.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by hames jetfield
considering the fact that most of the amp modelling software run on windows, you need bad ass programming skills for that.

Well I'm actually a mac user and I have tons of amp modelling software
But yeah I get your point that they mostly don't run on linux. Luckily, I happen to have bad ass programming skills and I want to do it all myself anyway.

I already have tons of effects pedal-esque stuff I've done in Max/MSP, I just need to find a way to take it to the stage without my macbook. Should be interesting.
its pretty cool. ill wait a bit to see what reviews are like.

its like the next step after arduino.
now extra flamey
Quote by captainsnazz
Well I'm actually a mac user and I have tons of amp modelling software
But yeah I get your point that they mostly don't run on linux. Luckily, I happen to have bad ass programming skills and I want to do it all myself anyway.

I already have tons of effects pedal-esque stuff I've done in Max/MSP, I just need to find a way to take it to the stage without my macbook. Should be interesting.

yes Mac too.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by Ostinattos
Actually the Raspberry Pi is pretty cool. Right now Canonical is trying to produce a smartphone that when connected to a monitor and a keyboard runs ubuntu, since android already uses some kind of linux kernel I think is might be possible.

I believe they're already testing something like this with existing Android phones, and it looks incredibly cool. I reckon that's how all computers will be set up in the future...
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I saw an article somewhere in which some retarded reporter said it had a "linux processor". She went on to say that the cheaper version was no-frills and didn't come with a keyboard or monitor - implying the more expensive one does

Also, a HDMI output doesn't mean it can play HD video. If a £300 netbook struggles to do so, this hasn't got a hope in hell.

it's got a hardware decoder for HD video so it'll be fine. A Blu-Ray player doesn't need a 700MHz CPU and it runs fine.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I believe they're already testing something like this with existing Android phones, and it looks incredibly cool. I reckon that's how all computers will be set up in the future...

I've found a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyeFcldavTk
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by jgbsmith
it's got a hardware decoder for HD video so it'll be fine. A Blu-Ray player doesn't need a 700MHz CPU and it runs fine.

Why don't Bluray players cost less than $35 then?

I can guarantee this will be crap. It's not using any revolutionary cheap technology, so the only way it can be this cheap is because they've cut corners which will render it next to unusable as an actual computer.
Quote by LRCGUITAR

One of the videos I posted of it has it playing a 1080p demo.